Newbie with first fibreglass hull – advice on fitting out

Advert

Newbie with first fibreglass hull – advice on fitting out

Home Forums Sailing Models Newbie with first fibreglass hull – advice on fitting out

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Pete Rawlings 1
    Participant
      @peterawlings1
      Advert
      Pete Rawlings 1
      Participant
        @peterawlings1

Folks I have purchased a fibreglass hull of a Harwich Bawley and all my modelling has been from kits before and plank on wooden frames. Does anyone know of any good books that detail how one fits out a hull with deck and internals for RC ?

Kev.W
        Participant
          @kev-w

Not the answer to your question, but may be of interest to you.

Harwich shrimper

Colin Bishop
            @colinbishop34627

If you have a hull, then the main issue is to fit the deck within the bulwarks. I assume you have a set of plans, otherwise you are flying blind really.

As far as construction is concerned you need to fix a supporting structure within the fibreglass hull to sit the deck on. The usual method is to fit 'stringers' around the inside of the hull which the deck will sit on and these are normally connected across the breadth of the model by deck beams. The deck will need hatch cutouts to access the internals.

If you are intending to have a working model then you will probably need to have a weighted false keel to balance the model when afloat.

Others on here are better qualified than me to describe how the sails might be controlled using R/C.

Colin

Pete Rawlings 1
            Participant
              @peterawlings1

Im flying blind …. Thanks for the help

Ray Wood 3
              Participant
                @raywood3

Hello Pete,

May I suggest you look at the Sarik Hobbies plans for Cutters which are very similar long keel designs which are normally internally ballasted, Breeze is a plan by Dave Alderton for a 40" long boat the plan will give you all the basic setting out of the deck beams and location of the mast & rig which you could modify to suit you grp hull ?

then you won't be flying blind 😀

Regards Ray

Pete Rawlings 1
                Participant
                  @peterawlings1

Thanks have ordered the plan

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)