New project

Advert

New project

Home Forums Collectors’ corner New project

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 26 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    Paul T
    Participant
      @pault84577

Hi Bob

The drawings are almost complete but I still have to build the Sports boat and MTB superstructures to test the design so at least a couple of months.

Paul

Advert
      Bob Abell 2
      Participant
        @bobabell2

Hello Paul

Apart from this thread going to pot!……ie……Adverts overlapping the text etc!

Got a suggestion!……..

Your newly designed hull has three superstructures…………Why not have a Yacht  version?….similar to Vic Smeeds Starlet……Which is the one I`m working on at the moment

Don`t know how I do it for the money!

Bob

Edited By Bob Abell on 17/07/2013 10:50:12

Paul T
        Participant
          @pault84577

Hello Captain Bob

Sorry to pour cold water on your imaginative thought but the hull is totally the wrong shape for a yacht even one as square sided as the Starlet.

I think that I am the culprit regarding the ads being over the text as my photos are large images.

Paul

Bob Abell 2
          Participant
            @bobabell2

Hi Paul

Your drawings were ok a few days ago, but can`t see the cross section now!

No doubt Colin will sort it out?

Bob

Bob Abell 2
            Participant
              @bobabell2

Hi chaps

Continuing with my personal nostalgic venture into my engineering past……With apologies for members who bored with it

The moulds in the sand foundry were painted with Blackin` or Smut to seal the sand grains, so I have done the same with the keel mould, using water based acryic paint

I realise I`m "Guilding the Lily" a bit, but this is my way of amusement and hope some of you will go along with it?

blackin`.jpg

Looking nice?

Bob

Bob Abell 2
              Participant
                @bobabell2

In order to gain access to the inside, I had to perform a little surgery………

drastic mod.jpg

No harm done really, plenty of easy access to the gear and motor……What motor?

The keel is glued into the hull and makes handling very awkward and will really get in the way with a 5lb ballast blob stuck on the end of it!

Decided to make it detachabell

Bob

Paul T
                Participant
                  @pault84577

Hello Bob

I am happy to go along with you on this trip down memory lane…..and I do have a question….presuming that you are casting in the traditional way how are you going to achieve a perfectly sealed joint when you put the top half of the mould onto the lower half.

Paul

Bob Abell 2
                  Participant
                    @bobabell2

Hello Paul

No need for sealed joint

Just a gerneral clean up and bolt together, followed by good old P38!

It they turn out too heavy, then I could bolt them to a sturdy nut and bolt and face up in the lathe, which would be great fun?

Bob

Paul T
                    Participant
                      @pault84577

I understand…..I thought that you were doing the keel in a single pour and not in two halves.

Lead in your lathe….that will be fun, all of that heavy and soft metal spinning at high speed.

Paul

Ducky
                      Participant
                        @ducky

Bob, I was under the impression that the weights were to be bolted either side of the keel, there again I only got a brief glimpse of the plans. Just a thought after Paul mentioned bolting the two halves together?.

Duckie

Bob Abell 2
                        Participant
                          @bobabell2

Hello Duckie

Nothing has changed…..I'm still bolting a half keel weight onto each side of the keel fin

Have now cut the keel off and will be bolted onto the hull when required

Bob

Bob Abell 2
                          Participant
                            @bobabell2

Novel method of retaining the sawn off keel

Fully adjustable……..Might be handy?

adjustable keel.jpg

Bob

Bob Abell 2
                            Participant
                              @bobabell2

Here is the thread for Starlet, Tony

Tony was asking about this model and why is has gone quiet

The truth is that the hull was found to be banana shaped like a Gondola and the mast was off centre athwart wise by 1/2" The main problem was access to the mast mount inside the hull…….Not a pretty sight!

So it was donated to a charity

Bob

Tony Hadley
                              Participant
                                @tonyhadley

Sorry to see it end that way after all the hard work and time, which could have obviously been spent on other projects. Sometimes though you have to say enough is enough though.

A similar story with a PS Phantom, which I bought from the Heywood bring and buy sale (little did I know it had been built top heavy). I finally gave up with the instability issues and gave it to another club member. Interesting though, in this months magazine Colonel Lamb had the same issues and it was corrected by adding a false keel, which is what I should have done – hindsight – a wonderful thing.

Anyone else had problems with bought secondhand models?

Viewing 14 posts - 26 through 39 (of 39 total)