Mount Stewart Square Rigger

Advert

Mount Stewart Square Rigger

Home Forums Sailing Models Mount Stewart Square Rigger

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Colin Bishop
      @colinbishop34627

mount stewart album.jpg

Working model square riggers are as rare as hens teeth, in fact I think the only one we have previously mentioned on here has been the restored model of Ariel by Elizabeth Jones.

**LINK**

So it is a real treat to see Neville Wade's superb model of the Mount Stewart in the January 2018 issue of Model Boats with a description of how it all works.

Watching yachts on the pond is always enjoyable and Thames Barges perhaps even more as a spectacle but a proper full rigged ship with all sails set is quite something else again. I hope that Neville's model will encourage others to tackle such a satisfying subject. Neville used the Underhill plans from Brown Son & Ferguson

**LINK**

The Model Boats plans service still offer the Ariel plans dating back to 1963 via Sarik hobbies.

**LINK**

Neville's article is essential reading for anyone who has ever considered building a working square rigger.

Colin

Edited By Colin Bishop on 10/12/2017 16:19:56

Advert
      Colin Bishop
        @colinbishop34627

Neville Wade’s magnificent model

hutch
        Participant
          @hutch73959

HI Neville,Colin,

What a great model, I hope my model of Ariel is as good.

S far I have the 5 servos in the hull with all the control links fixed in place 1 for each mast, the spars are fixed to the masts that rotate, as per Elizabeth Jone's rebuilt Ariel.1 for the Spanker ,and 1 for the Rudder.The next step is to finish planking the hull, this will be two layers of 1/16 balsa strips then a nylon stocking will be pulled over and resin coated. for a strong hull.
          Have tried the link to Neville's article, this is not working? I can only buy the mag on rare occasions owning to limited funds,

Regards ,

Hutch

Colin Bishop
            @colinbishop34627

There isn't a link to Neville's article I'm afraid, just where to get the plans etc. Sorry!

Colin

hutch
            Participant
              @hutch73959

HI Colin,

Thank you for your reply I now know that I will have to order the 2018 mag from my newsagent to make sure I get a copy. Any info on model square rigger I am collecting so my Tea Clipper Ariel can be the best I can make it.

Wishing all forum members a Happy Holiday Season keep out of the sun as its going to be hot 38c Down Under

Regards,

Hutch.

Adelaide SA

Graham Ashby 1
              Participant
                @grahamashby1

Hutch, it might be worth getting a subscription – there's more to come from Neville.

Regards

Graham

hutch
                Participant
                  @hutch73959

Hi Graham,

I will have to talk to the better half about that,but I can get {after waiting for three months} copy's to borrow from my local library.

As for more from Neville I will have to look out for the articles.

The local newsagent only get in one or two copies per month the latest copy is October 2017!!

One of the joys of living in Australia!

Cheers for now

Hutch.

Graham Ashby 1
                  Participant
                    @grahamashby1

Hi Hutch,

Tell your better half that you absolutely deserve a subscription. It'll save you a trip to the library, you'll get it on time and it'll keep the lights on here. What's not to like? teeth 2

Kind regards

Graham

hutch
                    Participant
                      @hutch73959

HI Graham,

Well you were right I do deserve a subscription and as a xmass pressy I have a digital the one.so now I will be able to read about Neville's model

Cheers,

Hutch

Colin Bishop
                        @colinbishop34627

A good result then!

Do post some photos of your Ariel build on here.

Colin

Graham Ashby 1
                        Participant
                          @grahamashby1
                          Posted by b hutch hutchinson on 17/12/2017 07:37:15:

HI Graham,

Well you were right I do deserve a subscription and as a xmass pressy I have a digital the one.so now I will be able to read about Neville's model

Cheers,

Hutch

Fantastic! Welcome aboard Hutch. Neville's next piece specifically relates to square rig sail control and covers the subject in more depth.

Graham

hutch
                          Participant
                            @hutch73959

Hi Guys,Graham,

Got my sub today, it starts on the 19/01/ 2018.that's 4 weeks away don't know if I can wait that long,may have to buy

November and December's from the newsagents yet!

Cheers

Hutch

Graham Ashby 1
                            Participant
                              @grahamashby1

Hutch, I think you might need the January as well wink

Kind regards

Graham

hutch
                              Participant
                                @hutch73959

Hi Colin,

I would love to, how does one post photos ? I cannot find any guide on how to

Regards,

Hutch

Gareth Jones
                                Participant
                                  @garethjones79649

Hi Hutch,

Glad to hear you have got a digital subscription sorted out. Here is my short explanation of how to post pictures on the forum.

First of all, any pictures you want to post need to be in a format no bigger than 800 x 600 pixels. I use Microsoft Office Picture Manager to reduce the picture size down from whatever the camera takes, to this size. My ancient desktop is still running Vista as an operating system so there may well be other options to use now. I usually save the reformatted pictures on my desktop where i can easily find them.

Log on to the forum as though you were going to add a post to one of the topics.

From the bar across the top of the page click on the Albums tab.

From the options that appear click on Create a photo album

Give the album a name and description

If you want the rest of the world to have access to the album tick the Public box, I think this is usually the default setting.

If you want other people to be able to upload photos to your album tick the Allow member uploads box ( I usually do not allow this)

Finally, for this stage, click on the Create album box.

You now can upload pictures into this album, firstly by clicking on Chose file. This will open your computer files and you need to find the first photo you want to upload. When you have found that file, click on Open and it will appear in the list. Repeat this process for up to 5 photos.

When you have selected your photos select Upload and they will appear on the page. When they have uploaded click on Save changes at the bottom of the list and they will all be there, accessible to anyone from the Albums tab on the top of the normal forum page.

If you want to include one of these photos in your post on the forum, type in any text normally. Then I usually leave one blank line and set the curser to the left hand edge of the page.

In the box above where you type in the text there is a camera icon. Click on that and a new box will appear which lists all your albums.

Click on the appropriate album and the list of all the photos in it will appear.

Click on the one you want and the picture itself will appear on the right of the box.

If that is the correct one, click on OK and it will appear in the right position in your post.

Put in another blank line and then start typing the next bit of text or add another photo.

Hopefully that should be a step by step set of instructions and I have not missed anything out. I am sure if you can operate a 3D printer system you should be able to manage this. I look forward to seeing some photos of your model of Ariel in the near future – no pressure.

Gareth

hutch
                                  Participant
                                    @hutch73959

Hi Guys,

Have not worked out how to reduce my photos yet so I can post some,

I question for you, after covering the hull with a nylon stocking what should I use to seal it ? would epoxy paint do the job or do I use a resin coating The last time I used a stocking was 30 years ago for my two Jenny's don't remember what I used then but the finish is very smooth. any help would be great as its for my Ariel tea clipper,.

Cheers

Hutch.

hutch
                                    Participant
                                      @hutch73959

Hi Guys

I do not have a pass word to open my my digital mag !! have contacted the office so this problem can be fixed

i am fed up with pass words that do not work, or your email address is not in our data base!!!!!

Regards,

Hutch

Graham Ashby 1
                                      Participant
                                        @grahamashby1
                                        Posted by b hutch hutchinson on 21/01/2018 00:16:57:

Hi Guys

I do not have a pass word to open my my digital mag !! have contacted the office so this problem can be fixed

i am fed up with pass words that do not work, or your email address is not in our data base!!!!!

Regards,

Hutch

Hi Hutch, can you send me a Private Message (so we don't clog the thread) and tell me when you contacted the office and if anyone has responded? If your email didn't reach the right person straight away it can take a day or two to go through the system. Kind regards, Graham

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)