Model yacht spinnaker

Advert

Model yacht spinnaker

Home Forums All things floating Model yacht spinnaker

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Stuart Hall
    Participant
      @stuarthall33151

I’m an accomplished RC helicopter and aeroplane flyer, also yachtmaster and sailing instructor. Ive just picked up a Marblehead from a second hand shop in Cowes and plan to fit it out with an assymetric spinnaker. I have visualised how to do this, cant see that it would be that difficult but am surprised to find very little information on anyone else trying it.

Any advice would be gratefully recieved, I think that 2 winch servos will do it, one to hoist/lower, one to sheet, plan to fit a chute on the bow to launch in/out of such as that used for dinghy sailing along with a bowsprit.

Any thoughts or comments?

Advert
      Tony Hadley
      Participant
        @tonyhadley

Hi Stuart,

Spinnakers for model yachts are usually found on vane boats. Radio spinnakers have been used, but this is rare. An item was featured in one of the modelling mags a few years ago showing a radio spinnaker, sorry I don’t know which or when.  A spinnaker boom will be required with forehaul and backhaul lines. A topping lift and kicking strap will also be required. This is clearly illustrated (for vane boats) on Plan MM503 – rigging and fittings for Marblehead yachts. This could be adapted to suit a radio yacht, or buy a vane, use a spinnaker, and run. (Vane’s can now be bought from Sails etc).

Also try http://www.vmyg.org.uk        or find and watch the 1970’s Model World – Model Yachts.

Good Luck, Tony

Stuart Hall
        Participant
          @stuarthall33151

Hi Tony

Thanks for that, as I said I ‘m new to model yachts and was think,ing of keeping it really simple with an assymetric thereby no spinnaker pole, just need up/down haul and a sheet. Elastic on the bowsprit should work to pull it out and a decent winch servo should be enough I think. I dont understand why spinnakers are not more widely used, I guess folk like to keep it simple and stick with 2 channel. I ‘m not looking at racing, just the technicaql challenge and experimentation.

Regards

Stu

Dave nicholls
          Participant
            @davenicholls

can any one tell me the ratios for mixing stablit express glue

await reply

dave 

Son Parc
            Participant
              @sonparc

Dave

If you have the plastic mixing bowl that comes in the box you put one level scoop full of the white powder in the bowl , top the bowl up with the brown sticky stuff and thoroughly stir to mix.You then have about 7 minutes to make the joint.

Hope this helps

Son Parc

Dave nicholls
              Participant
                @davenicholls

Son Parc

many thanks for information on mixing the brown stuff,

regards

dave.

Len Ochiltree
                Participant
                  @lenochiltree67043

Hi Stuart,

If you get the spinaker sorted will you post the working details on the forum as I would like one on my Thames Barge.

Regards,

Len

Stuart Hall
                  Participant
                    @stuarthall33151

Spinnakers

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)