M15 Monitor

Advert

M15 Monitor

Home Forums All things floating M15 Monitor

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Robert Vassilio
    Participant
      @robertvassilio11187

Picked up Paul Freshley’s plans and heard about a build article in model boats magazine.  Can somebody direct me to the issue or issues in which it appeared?  It is a ship that really has my interest and am hot to get going on it. 

Thank you for any help.

Robert

Advert
      Len Ochiltree
      Participant
        @lenochiltree67043

Hi Robert,

Model Boats Sept 06 is the start date of 4 issues,

Len.    

Robert Vassilio
        Participant
          @robertvassilio11187

Thank you for the info.  Just curious – was the hull made using bulkheads or a bread and butter construction?  Was thinking of using bread and butter since there is almost no hull below the waterline.

Robert

Paul Freshney
          Participant
            @paulfreshney24971

The original model – it was in September/October/November/December 2006 issues of MB.
            I made a solid plug, then a mould, then a GRP hull. The hulls were available via Metcalf Mouldings and now I believe Models by Design who purchased the range from Dave Metcalf last autumn.

Robert Vassilio
            Participant
              @robertvassilio11187

Hi Paul – great model.  Very nice to have a one (or two) off model.  I saw the plans listed online and the one photo of your model really set the bug to build her.  Have the plans but am now waiting the those back issues to get started. 

Question about the big guns – did you scratch build the actual barrels and breeches or is there a commercial casting that can be used ?  hile I wait, I thought I might try my hand at building these if they are not available.

Thank you for the attention and info

Robert

Paul Freshney 2
              Participant
                @paulfreshney2

HMS M15 guns were resin castings from masters that I made. The moulds were passed to Metcalf Mouldings and presumably then on to Models by Design. I do not now have any spare resin castings left since over the last couple of years modellers have ‘scounged’ the spares I had, so I m sorry I cannot assist you on this one. The essential book you will need is Big Gun Monitors by Buxton and shortly to be reprinted and published by Seaforth Publishing and Amazon are taking advance orders for it at around £24.
                Paul Freshney

Robert Vassilio
                Participant
                  @robertvassilio11187

Thank you so much for the info.  Makes the project so much more obtainable.

Thanks again and hope I can be back in touch if I have any detail questions.

Robert

Robert Vassilio
                  Participant
                    @robertvassilio11187
                  Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)