help advice

Advert

help advice

Home Forums Beginners help advice

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    daz bruce
    Participant
      @dazbruce16150

hi all , i am not really a modeller more fishin and i have the idea in my brain to make myself a bait boat , i have some parts from a model speed boat ie; motors props and propellers,i have purchased a radio set off ebay with 2 servos and controller i can make a hull out of wood oof the top of my head but would like advice on sealing it and wiring electrics , i would be very gratefull on any ideas , thank you daz

Advert
      Bee
      Participant
        @bee

You could knock up a Springer perhaps. Fill cracks and holes in the hull with car body filler, not for appearance but in case the paint doesn’t penetrate and it leaks. Then apply some coats of sanding sealer and then use whatever household paints you have to prime, undercoat and finish with an exterior gloss.
        To avoid scaring the fish you might want to keep the voltage down and run slowly. By controller do you mean speed controller or is that your name for the receiver.
        If you have a 2 channel set have you decided how you will release the bait?

daz bruce
        Participant
          @dazbruce16150

hi ya thanks for message, i have built my boat shell,and just got to car filler it and spray it , i am having trouble more with the electronic side , i have a 2 channel handset and receiver but i have 4 servo’s , all matching acoms , i think i will need to up grade to a 4 channel handset and reciever ,also do i need a speed controller for motors , and then how do i go about wiring them all up if anyone has a sketch/diagram i would be very gratefull for help thank you daz

Bee
          Participant
            @bee

You can manage with 2 servos to try things out.
            Use one to operate microswitches (from Maplin.co.uk) to give single speed (not too fast remember the fish) forward and reverse.
            You can use the rudder to also drop the bait.
            Test out your radio if you are not familiar with the workings. You will find there are little trim adjusters on the joysticks. Observer the servo while you move them then return them to center. Then move the joystick hardover, and on top of that mover the trim over too. You should find you get a little extra movement from the servo. The idea is to use a carefully positioned microswitch that only makes contact as you get this overtravel. That then operates your drop system.
            You could do this each side and on the motor servo too to get lots of extra controls.

Garry Smith
            Participant
              @garrysmith68451

i am now starting to build a 48inch windermere steam launch i would like some advice please i am going to power it by electric i would like some advice as to which motor and batteries to use etc

John Smith
              Participant
                @johnsmith79977

Help Required please. As a complete novice I wish to build a model boat and have absolutely no experience at all. Would HMS Cruiser from Caldercraft be a good model to start with. This model was reviewed in Model Boats Mag.July 2000. Does anyone have a copy of this and if so would it be possible to send, through the computer, a photo copy of the article.
                Thanking you in anticipation.
                John W Smith

Bud
                Participant
                  @bud

Hi, I have recently modified what started as a childrens toy boat but have taken out all the innards and started again, the boat is electric and want to get it up on the plane, I have it running but am experiencing problems with using the right motor and prop combination and wondered if there are any guidelines to follow?
                  I’m running a direct drive with a graupner 600 motor and three bladed 42 prop and the motor runs extremely hot and it only semi planes. The boat is approx 32 inches long, just need that little bit more performance!!

Bee
                  Participant
                    @bee

John: If that is a warship be warned it will have lots of fiddly superstructure which may be a bore and dampen your enthusiasm. If you are wanitng to fill long winter evenings then fine, but if you want to get something on the water then think again.
                    Do a serch for “springers” very easy design intended for beginners to get them into building.

Mark: A hull has a max speed and above that it takes disproportionate power to get it any faster. Your hull may just be incapable of planing with realistic power to weight ratios. A design that will plane with an IC engine might not be able to with the extra weight of an electric system.

DickyD
                    Participant
                      @dickyd

Mark try it with a 2 blade 35mm prop a 45mm 3 blade prop is to big,sometimes smaller is better. My motor in my PT boat was getting hot so I tried the smaller prop.
                      Result, boat goes faster and motor runs cooler.
                      If this does not work try a different motor, something like a Mtroniks – Vision 600 Marine Motor which is high revving. Do not use a SLA battery, heavy boats dont plane. Keep with the smaller 2 bladed prop.

Ethan Hunt 2
                      Participant
                        @ethanhunt2

Hey all, I am currently building a hydro, from scratch. Aword of advice to anyone out there painting, use sprays, they are lighter due to thinner coats, and generally easier to work with, I know from personnal experience… Does anyone know where I can buy a circuit board from with middlesex… and 2nd where can I get my hands on plans for large mono-hulls or 3-4 point hydros…. Cheers all. Ethan 

daz bruce
                        Participant
                          @dazbruce16150

build from scratch

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)