Electric motor suppression

Advert

Electric motor suppression

Home Forums R/C & Accessories Electric motor suppression

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Brian Fry
    Participant
      @brianfry61832

I am starting to plan the wiring layout in my electric boat and as I like to keep things tidy, I wanted to avoid having dangly capacitor things hanging off the end of the motor.

All the other components of the system (RX, Battery and ESC) will be at least six inches further back in the boat in a water resistant container.

I was thinking of assembling a mini PCB to go in the container which would configure the capacitors and battery earth lead network as per standard requirements.

What I would like to know is whether having the capacitors further away from the motor will will reduce their suppression effectiveness.

Any advice please? – sorry to hog the forum! 

Advert
      Telstar
      Participant
        @telstar

Hi Brian   Suppression capacitors need to be as near to the scource of interference as possible. 

If you put them Six inches away (as suggested in your post) the wire between the motor and the capacitor will try to act as an ariel and radiate the rubbish generated by the brushes in the motor.

short wires and good connections is the order of the day

cheers Tom

Brian Fry
        Participant
          @brianfry61832
        Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)