Eagle Annual 1961

Advert

Eagle Annual 1961

Home Forums Collectors’ corner Eagle Annual 1961

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Ray Wood 3
    Participant
      @raywood3

eagle 1 1961.jpgHi All,

Whilst doing my normal search of charity shops for crew for my models to press gang with the King's shilling, I came across the Eagle Annual for 1961 publishedeagle 2 1961.jpg when I was 7 years old, I just couldn't resist buying it !! The wide range of articles is truly wonderful and sections on Boats, Ships, Trains, Cars and Aeroplanes. Perhaps explains people of my generation were and still are model makers, plus a selection of well know comic strips to entertain. and would you believe it a free Cabin Cruiser design plan by Bill Dean which must have had a massive circulation.

I suppose the internet put paid to the Annual's ? a great shame in my view

Regards Ray

Edited By Ray Wood 2 on 07/04/2022 15:11:22

Advert
      Ray Wood 3
      Participant
        @raywood3

Nostalgia

Colin Bishop
          @colinbishop34627

I used to have the Eagle every week, a great publication and really informative and educational. I have a facsimile of one of the Annuals.

Needless to say there is a website….

**LINK**

Colin

ashley needham
          Participant
            @ashleyneedham69188

You have no choice Ray, you have to build that one and paint it red and yellow.

Ashley

Chris E
            Participant
              @chrise

The model is not that easy to build.

Judging by the page size it is 2.5-3in long and involves things like pins though 1/32 balsa into 1/16 balsa without doing great damage. Add sharp knives, dope etc and you get something that would never be considered now.

Do kids still do things like make model boats and Blue Peter Tracy Islands or is it all stickers and the like?

ashley needham
              Participant
                @ashleyneedham69188

Yes, you would have to double or treble the size! I wonder how many were built??

Ashley

Chris E
                Participant
                  @chrise
                  Posted by ashley needham on 09/04/2022 11:30:16:

Yes, you would have to double or treble the size! I wonder how many were built??

Ashley

I agree but the instructions say "trace".

In the days before copiers, scanners and computers doubling or trebling the size accurately was tricky. It would effectively have meant that there wasn't a design.

Edited By Chris E on 09/04/2022 14:03:45

Ray Wood 3
                  Participant
                    @raywood3

old & others.jpgHi All,

Yes the lack of access to an A3 printer was challenging during lock down, but I have always re-drawn my designs to the scale required, photo copiers with enlarging facilities are relatively recent, the old ways are the best, scaling up a drawing is something my dad taught me at an early age, and I make a living from being able to read drawings, so time well spent

Oldenburg attached oldenburg drawing draft.jpgwas scaled up from a 12" photograph

Regards Ray

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)