Cigarettes…not fags!

Advert

Cigarettes…not fags!

Home Forums R/C & Accessories Cigarettes…not fags!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    madmal
    Participant
      @madmal

I have been very fortunate to have a colleague at my boat club whose friend had original moulds for the 40" ‘cigarette’ which they used to race with i/c engines[long time ago when shillings and pennies were common]

I am now the proud owner of a ‘new’ old fibre glass cigarette. 40"

I have set up details of COG and various mounting points…..

What I need to know is what power unit, NOT i/c, is going to give me a realistic speed without breaking the bank? [or am I dreaming?]

Advert
      Paul T
      Participant
        @pault84577

Hi

In my experience (and limited budget) I have found that high speed models over 4ft long use so much power to maintain the plane that they soon exhaust the batteries. I have a 4ft wooden huntsman and perkasa MTB so both are quite heavy models and I have tried many different combinations of motors/props/batteries which were fine when the models were plodding along slowly but when I pushed the stick to accelerate the models up onto the plane I fast ran out of power (usually 10 mins) which is no good in the middle of a large lake. So it was back to I.C. for me.

However I do know that Graupner make a new 700 series electric motor called the Neodyme which appeared in the Moonraker kit review in MBMs september issue, these might be the answer to your problem given that your model should be lighter than mine.

Sorry not to be of any real help maybe someone else out there has a better idea.

Look forward to seeing some photos of the cigarette in action.

All the best

Paul

madmal
        Participant
          @madmal

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your interest and points well made….a few of my boat club are going to the Leamington Spa Boat Show and we will glean whatever info we can get….and when it is on the water I’ll post some pics. It will probably be ‘Cigarette 1’ in black and white.

Happy sailing madmal.

Manxman
          Participant
            @manxman

I am NOT calling you "MadMal" !

Hi Mal,

I’ve not heard of this "Cigarette" sounds interesting.  I’m currently building a 48" Pacific Buccaneer.  We should get together when they are both finished, as mine is made from 55,ooo matches ! – should make a good team !.

Cough, Cough – Ken

Paul T
            Participant
              @pault84577

I can just imagine the result of such a historic meeting "SMOKIN"

(sorry, could’nt resist the pun)

madmal
              Participant
                @madmal

Hi everyone,

Do you have to light up for each matchstick?

I have a Touchwood Bluebird……and a Honda Blackbird……so you might gather I like Speed with a capital S!

I am also good at melting esc’s…so you see the ‘mad’ is quite apt.

For the uninformed the ‘Cigarette’ was a Don Aronow creation, and I believe he was murdered because he would not make one for a drugs baron, to smuggle drugs from South America…….I stand to be corrected.

But I’m not getting very far with the motor for my boat!

Happy sailing, madmal.

Paul T
                Participant
                  @pault84577

Hi Madmal

I know what the cigarette boats are like, or were like (very fast) Why cant you use an IC? it would solve all your problems

All the best

Paul

madmal
                  Participant
                    @madmal

Paul,

I’ve flirted with i/c this year [ I was a virgin] and run a 61 in an Atlantic Challenger 48" long. But it is such a pain carting all the gear around, and as this afternoon, the flexdrive wrapped itself in knots with the boat still in the middle of the lake! [thats the winter project, amongst others]

I want to stay relatively clean and sane with an electric set up.

Happily frustrated, madmal

madmal
                    Participant
                      @madmal
                    Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)