Chucked in at the deep end

Advert

Chucked in at the deep end

Home Forums Beginners Chucked in at the deep end

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Paul Birkett
    Participant
      @paulbirkett89371
      Advert
      Paul Birkett
      Participant
        @paulbirkett89371

So I have been given the task of finishing and selling off a 1:50 scale Ann M London coaster ship, I need to sort out fittings like outer doors, crew, life rings, radar array, finish the super structure detailing, then onto the wiring, I would keep her but she's too big to store at my flat being around 55inches long.

If anyone has any tips, advice or help regarding fittings etc then please help away.

Also any recommendations regards motor, esc and battery would be great, I have I believe 550/600 brushed motor and esc if that's any good 

Edited By Paul Birkett on 28/05/2023 16:52:28

Richard Simpson
        Participant
          @richardsimpson88330

Hi Paul and welcome to the forum. I'm afraid I don't know the model in question although there are some, cough, cough, 'older' members here who might be able to help there.

The first thing you can do is have a look through the obvious suppliers for fixtures and fittings. Getting hold of a copy of the magazine is handy there as the big ones all advertise there such as Howes and Cornwall Model Boats. There is also Shapeways but the stuff there is all fine 3D resin so maybe not robust enough for operational models. The motor might be suitable but some pictures of the model would be a great help so we can see what kind of hull it is.

As for electronics, to keep it simple I would suggest the following:

1) Speed controller – call Mtroniks and ask them to recommend a speed controller for you. Probably either the Viper 25 or the Viper 40. This depends on the motor you go for. If you decide to go for one with a BECC you don't need a separate receiver power supply.

2) Radio set – go to Howes and buy thier £40.00 2.4 ghz, six channel set with included receiver.

3) Steering servo – either Ebay or go to Servo Shop.

4) Battery pack – Component shop will advise you. It depends on which motor again and therefore which voltage you decide to run it at. If you have a large hull a 6v or a 12v lead/acid battery might do you but, if smaller possibly a 7.2v Nimh pack. Component shop also do chargers, wire, connectors and fuses.

That should be a start. Pictures really needed for more specific help.

Edited By Richard Simpson on 29/05/2023 09:35:01

Paul Birkett
          Participant
            @paulbirkett89371

I've created an album ( Paul B ) I'll try attaching images to this post when I can get on my pc.

Charles Oates
            Participant
              @charlesoates31738

For the fittings have a look at a company called ' model boat bits ' . The nearest popular scale to your model is 1/48 , so close any difference is imperceptible.

Chris E
              Participant
                @chrise

Sounds like it should be a nice model but beware of costs v selling price. Finishing models can be the expensive bit and then selling them results in less money than expected.

A detailed budget might be an important idea.

Providing the pictures here for the experts to have a look at is a very good start.

Alan Millard
                Participant
                  @alanmillard73157

Hi new to the site and building part kits. Have part built Del Prado HMS Victory.(gulp). At mast assembly stage but there appear to be no instructions on distances for location of cross trees and platforms, or even how much of upper mast sections go through the end caps. Any done this model and can supply pics with measurements that I can use please ?

In desperation.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)