BILLING COLIN ARCHER

Advert

BILLING COLIN ARCHER

Home Forums Sailing Models BILLING COLIN ARCHER

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    neil hp
    Participant
      @neilhp

has any member build the large ABS hulled Colin Archer sailing lifeboat from billing Boats. I have ben given one just started by the widow of an old friend and would like to build it as a working model in order to sail it the length of one of our long Lakeland "ponds" with a group of other like minded modellers with their lifeboats in order to raise money for the RNLI, like we attempted in 2011 on Loch Ness, raising nearly £4000.00p………however I have never built or sailed a "yacht" and would like some info on servo winches, what sails to "winch" and any idea of making the hatches fully watertight………….because these "big ponds" ca get a tad choppy….the sail is planned for 2020, so plenty of time.

Advert
      neil hp
      Participant
        @neilhp

building advice

Charles Oates
        Participant
          @charlesoates31738

Hi Neil, as chance would have it I've just been looking at an old Model Boats magazine from June 1998 which has the second part Ivor Warnes review of the model. It covers electronics installation sail winch and sailing, so should be just what you need. If you pm me your email address I can scan it this evening and send it on.

I don't have the issue before, I must have passed it on to someone else.

Regards, Charlie.

neil hp
          Participant
            @neilhp

thank you very much Charles……that would be greatly appreciated. cheers……….will pm you my email address.

Charles Oates
            Participant
              @charlesoates31738

Hi Neil, I´ve sent the scans on to your email address.

Charles

neil hp
              Participant
                @neilhp

Thank you ever so much, Charles…that will help me a great deal…….never built a sailing yacht before other than a single rig dipping lug lifeboat that didn't need any fancy stuff, so any info is good, but having the info on the colin archer is really helpful…….just saved it, but will have to go and get some ink now from the print shop……just run out….typical. thanks again. neil

Charles Oates
                Participant
                  @charlesoates31738

You're very welcome Neil. It's a beautiful boat and the model sounds like it sails really welI. I'm looking forward to seeing some pictures when you've finished it. That's a fantastic fund raiser you're taking part in, best of luck.

Charlie.

neil hp
                  Participant
                    @neilhp

I like an oddball challenge Charles……..the last time we had 3 clyde class lifeboats……mine lasted about 2 miles of loch ness before the motors burned out…there were 13 x 7amph batteries in to both ballast and give ampage to get to the end……eventually my ignorance in the power of the motors let it down……..so this time I shal have one battery plus sail power to get me to the end……..what the other guys use is their business, lol……….but it will be fun no doubt.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)