Artesania Latina Hellen H96

Advert

Artesania Latina Hellen H96

Home Forums Collectors’ corner Artesania Latina Hellen H96

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    harry smith 1
    Participant
      @harrysmith1

Hi All

After buying a kit from an auction site and one of our club members making an offer buy it.

I sold it to him because of other projects.

I few months down the track other member bought one finished but with a few problems.

He decided to swap it for a faster boat, so I swap my Sea Commander minus radio for the Hellen.

The main problems with the Hellen was a plastic prop with a glue on blade and paint cracks along the ABS hull to the wooden keel strips.

I replaced the prop and have grooved out the filler and refilled with fibreglass filler.

The radio aerial wires are missing, the cabin is only sitting in position ( two 10mm magnets with fix this one) and no bow and side fenders.

Installed the 2.4G radio today and motor and rudder working OK.

Harry Smith

Advert
      harry smith 1
      Participant
        @harrysmith1

Fishing Boat

harry smith 1
        Participant
          @harrysmith1

hellen 08.jpghellen 07.jpghellen 06.jpghellen 04.jpghellen 03.jpghellen 02.jpgHi All

I better add a few pics of the beast !!!!hellen 01.jpg

harry smith 1
          Participant
            @harrysmith1

hellen 10.jpgHi All

The crack paint on the keel I found the wooden bits had came away from the ABS hull.

Reglue and stripped out the old filler.

All sanded back and off the hobby shop for some paint(of course I did not have that colour in the paint draw).

Harryhellen 09.jpg

ashley needham
            Participant
              @ashleyneedham69188

Harry. That's a nice little boat. Those plastic 3 blade props are OK, but have no reverse power due to the fine pitch. Oddly enough I have found in the past that they can be quite satisfactory with even quite quick motors.

I presume you will brass this one up for the look and having some reverse?

Ashley

harry smith 1
              Participant
                @harrysmith1

Hi Ashley

DM is in for a shock, me with a slow boat !!!!!!

I had a 50mm brass prop given to me today as the plastic one is 55mm.

I will test the props to see what is the best.

The brush motor is a direct drive 555 and the original prop would get the motor too hot.

Both the plastic and brass ones have about half the blade area so it may help the motor run cooler.

I seen an unstarted Precedent Perkasa 49 and half kit up the auction house with a destroyer (plastic).

May see if it has all the accessories in the box.

It's one of the last items for auction and we have a rain storm with heavy winds, so I maybe in with a cheap shot.

The model boat mag with your boat arrive in the shop this week and a guy was saying to his wife what a strange boat.

I said Ashley builds s lot of strange stuff !!!

The guy said do you know him.

I said ye he a guy I meet on a model boat forum site.

So we had a good talk about modelling.

Harry

harry smith 1
                Participant
                  @harrysmith1

Hi All

Well all the filling is sanded down and one side has been painted in the repair area with Revell NO.38.

The colour was a match but in matt .

The wheelhouse was only sitting in position, so I am add two 10mm magnets forward and aft down to metal strips.

As you may have seen in the pics the wireless aerials are missing, so I am working on this as well.

This boat is not going to be a show pony, it is going to be used and in salt water !!!

I made some fenders, but they are too white, so of to the tea cup for a bit of browning.

Harry

harry smith 1
                  Participant
                    @harrysmith1

Hi All

Magnets setup to hold down the wheelhouse.

Cut out part of the wheelhouse floor to install a captain and seat.

Will install a couple of LED up lights so you can see the captain inside.

Waiting for the glue to set on my aerial bits and install them.

Using black beads with copper wire for the aerial sections.

Have to workout how to fix the leads to the wheelhouse so they can be disconnected easily .

Harry

harry smith 1
                    Participant
                      @harrysmith1

Hi All

Installed my home made fenders and four tyres( from a swap meet at the weekend).

Some of the rigging was a bit too loose, so another job done.

As there a couple of holes in the floor I up lighted the wheelhouse.

Disaster one of the windows(angle corner fell in(old glue).

After making a new one I tried to install it!!!

TOTAL FAILURE !!!

I have a convertible wheelhouse (NO RUTH).

Looks like LED lights for port, starboard and stern.

Hope to get it all finish for Thursday night for a bit of a show for a sick mate.

Harry

harry smith 1
                      Participant
                        @harrysmith1

no roof.jpgrepaired hull.jpgfenders 2.jpgHi All

Still no roof, but, all new Perspex windows and added fenders.

Found I miss a small area on the hull with paint.

Harry

fenders 1.jpg

harry smith 1
                        Participant
                          @harrysmith1

Hi All

Still no roof !!!

But, I added working nav lights and a few more interior lights.

Hopefully it's finished by tomorrow night !!!

Harry

harry smith 1
                          Participant
                            @harrysmith1

Hi All

THE ROOF IS ON !!!

The trim around the roof and the aerial leads to the wheelhouse next.

It's cold in the workshop at this time of the night.

Harry

harry smith 1
                            Participant
                              @harrysmith1

Hi All

Did not get to the roof trim and aerials, but, she hit the water today.

Bow to high requires more weight.

The red plastic was rubbish, but, the motor ran cool !!

The cheap radio I installed(because it was spare) is rubbish!!!

In the bin with that one.

I had more speed in reverse, so I have replace the prop with a 3 blade brass one.

Replace the radio was a spare Turnigy IA6.

The boat was 25mm chipboard and I think it equal the boat's weight.

Making a new one from 19mm plywood shelf, adding more base length to protect the bow and stern, but decreasing the width.

Four door stops for base feet and a few coats of vanish with a bit of old carpet strips on the supports.

Harry

harry smith 1
                              Participant
                                @harrysmith1

Hi All

New boat stand made and first coat of vanish.

Found a few strips of sheep skin from an old rug, I will use that instead of carpet(easier to glue onto the stand.

The old weight in an 9 pounds 4 ozs and the new one 4 pounds 3 ozs !!!

Added more weight into the bow of the boat.

Harry Smith

harry smith 1
                                Participant
                                  @harrysmith1

Hi All

The boat stand is finish with 30mm door stops for feet and the boat sits very well on the stand.

Only requires a new edge strip around the edge of the roof to finish the boat.

It may get a run at the weekend, but, I am bit worry about the pitch of the brass prop I have on the boat.

Hope the weather is better tomorrow so I can take a few pics.

Rain , wind and cold !!!

Harry Smith

harry smith 1
                                  Participant
                                    @harrysmith1

mast top.jpgview side.jpgview from stern.jpgHi All

Edge strip installed after these pics.

view from bow.jpg

harry smith 1
                                    Participant
                                      @harrysmith1

Hi All

The boat had a sail on Saturday running on 12 volts with the de-pitch brass prop.

The new Hobbyking ESC work great, very happy with this one !!!

The boat turn very well, but, will have to drop back to 6 volts.

1/8 throttle at scale speed and 1/3 throttle starting to drop at the stern and getting up a good bow wave !!!

At full throttle the top of the stern post is below the water at the back !!!!!

Slowly back off the throttle to get back to scale speed.

Oh and reverse, stops in it's own length!!!!

Will drop down to one battery and add the replacement weight in lead.

This will give me more room near the motor for the ESC and switch.

Harry

ashley needham
                                      Participant
                                        @ashleyneedham69188

These displacement hulls do not like too much power!!

Get a good bow wave though….

Ashley

harry smith 1
                                        Participant
                                          @harrysmith1

Hi Ashley

You are right, with the water half way up the bow fender !!!!!!

I think the skipper was heading for the pub !!!

Harry

harry smith 1
                                          Participant
                                            @harrysmith1

rowboat 3.jpgrowboat 2.jpgrowboat 1.jpgHi All

As it's winter in Tassie, it's cold and dam it rained all weekend !!!

I made a wooden plug for a little row boat for the Hellen.

This is my first cardboard boat !!!!

Size 6" x 3" to sit on the hatch of the boat.

At present it looks like a voodoo boat with all the pin holes, but, a bit of filler and paint will hide it !!!

I hope !!!

OH, buy the way the Hobbywing brush ESC WP1060 (60 Amp) set on NIMH for my Gel cell twin 6volt (setup for 12 Volts) work great .

No silly beep, beep setup only links.

Removed one 6 volt battery to run on 6 volts and that's what the plan was to test on 6volts at the weekend.

Harry Smith

Edited By harry smith 1 on 20/06/2018 10:37:59

harry smith 1
                                            Participant
                                              @harrysmith1

Hi All

No testing the boat at the weekend, wind !!

The dingy has had a coat of resin and is in paint with only a trim colour to finish it.

Made a set of oars, bamboo sticks, a small bit of fuel tube and black heat shrink.

Small bits of veneer for the blades.

These are in paint as well.

Started on the second dingy, but, that's secret squirrel stuff.

Harry

harry smith 1
                                              Participant
                                                @harrysmith1

Hi All

A bit of a day, after the new ESC did not like a drop to 6 volts.

Install a little 3S 1500mah Lipo from Swampy.

Very, very little input on the throttle, but, ran very well.

The new dingy looks the part on the hatch.

Tonight I replaced the Gel battery with 2S 2650mah Lipo and added 4 pound of lead.

Harry

harry smith 1
                                                Participant
                                                  @harrysmith1

I kept not adding my pics to my albums !!!!rowboat 5.jpg

Alasdair MacLean
                                                  Participant
                                                    @alasdairmaclean91753

From a scale perspective 1:24 it makes the 'skipper' about 7ft tall !!

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)