Another Hellen Fishing Boat !!

Advert

Another Hellen Fishing Boat !!

Home Forums Collectors’ corner Another Hellen Fishing Boat !!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    harry smith 1
    Participant
      @harrysmith1

kathleen5.jpgkathleen4.jpgkathleen3.jpgkathleen2.jpgHi All

Well at it again, another cheap one from Gumtree(AKA EBAY).

$160au with postage !!!

This is my third one this year !!!

Sold the first one to a club member (unstarted kit).

Second a swap for my Sea Commander with required a full paint job and fittings.

The second Hellen was in to good of condition to say no !!!!

So this is number three as per the pics posted !!!!

I did not required the radio or the ballast , but, I got a spare new prop.kathleen1.jpg

Advert
      harry smith 1
      Participant
        @harrysmith1
        harry smith 1
        Participant
          @harrysmith1

stand 1.jpgfenders 2.jpgfenders 1.jpgdingy 3.jpgdingy 2.jpgHi All

So waiting for the boat to arrive, I started making a new stand, dingy with oars and a set of fenders.dingy 1.jpg

harry smith 1
          Participant
            @harrysmith1

motor and gearbox.jpgloose bits.jpgunstarted 9.jpgunstarted 8.jpgunstarted 6.jpgunstarted 5.jpgunstarted 4.jpgunstarted 3.jpgunstarted 2.jpgunstarted 11.jpgunstarted 10.jpgHi All

The boat arrived, so I photo it unstarted.

Broken aft mast, motor and gearbox OK, but the gearbox screw stripped in the plastic adaptor plate.

On a closer look the uni joint and output shaft are out of wank!!!

The deck planks are lifting in places.

Repairs at the base of the mast with was seen it the posted pics.

Bin the old ESC as I could not find any info on the internet about it.

Removed the prop and shaft which was dry as a bone!!!

Start on repairing the keel.

Harryunstarted 1.jpg

harry smith 1
            Participant
              @harrysmith1

keel repairs 6.jpgkeel repairs 5.jpgkeel repairs 3.jpgkeel repairs 2.jpgHi All

It's the end of the day with the keel sanded, filled and sanded again !!!

Ready for paint tomorrow, but, no Matt 70 !!!

Well I will use up the last of the Revell paint from the other Hellen.

Cheers and Beers

Harrykeel repairs 1.jpg

Matthieu Burleraux
              Participant
                @matthieuburleraux21541

Great post! Keep the news coming!

harry smith 1
                Participant
                  @harrysmith1

winch 1.jpgwheelhouse 1.jpgside view 2.jpgside view 1.jpgmotor with cover.jpgHi All

Repaired the gearbox to motor screw holes( fill them with epoxy glue and redrilled with a small pilot drill).

The uni joint brass connector was to big a hole size so I ordered a new one, but, I did add shrink tube and heated it up to sleeve it.

Looks a lot better than before!!!!

My mate made me a life canister and radar dome so I added these to the wheelhouse.

Also added a bit of height to the exhaust outlet to make it different from the other boat.

The aerial is a rivet base with a brass rod covered with white heat shrink.

The base black heat shrink and the top of the aerial red heat shrink.

Change the green on the winch and added to fenders.

Repaired around the mast bases.

The weather is cold in Tassie, only about 14, but, we are getting a week or so of rain and high winds !!

Also more snow.

Cheers

Harrybow view.jpg

harry smith 1
                  Participant
                    @harrysmith1

forward mast 1.jpgstern view 1.jpgHi All

Installed the masts today.

Harry Smithaft mast 1.jpg

harry smith 1
                    Participant
                      @harrysmith1

wheelhouse 2.jpgstern view 2.jpgforward mast 2.jpgHi All

Mast in and started rig today.

It's be nice to the wife day as I will ask her to make some sails for the boat.

I have work out the sizes and allow for double rolled edges for strength.

I bet I have to clean the sewing machine out as well !!!!aft mast 2.jpg

Harry Smith

harry smith 1
                      Participant
                        @harrysmith1

sails.jpgone old net and two new.jpgHi All

Whilst my lovely wife was making the sails, I made and install the new nets.

Also drop in the Como motor and radio.

Ran up the motor in the boat and found the output shaft require replacement, I drop in a backup motor.

A 55 turn rock crawler motor which runs a bit faster, but, I can drop back with the end stops in the transmitter.

A lot quieter then the geared setup.

Harrynets on board.jpg

harry smith 1
                        Participant
                          @harrysmith1

full rig 2.jpgfull rig 1.jpgforward sail.jpgaft sail 2.jpgHi All

The boat is ready for it first dip in the wet stuff !!!

Still a few things I am not happy in it's looks.

The top booms are to long and the aft sail is to small.

The geared motor has a noise in it which its the bottom bushing, so I drop in a 55 turn rock crawler 540 motor.

Very quiet, but, a bit high on the rpms.

OK, but from the first dip !!!

The boat ran spot on, but with a little to much weight in the stern.

Crank it up to full speed and have trim the throttle to 80% for the next run.

Back in the shed tomorrow for a few changes!!!

aft sail 1.jpg

ashley needham
                          Participant
                            @ashleyneedham69188

Well done Harry, another very presentable fishing boat!!

Those geared motors are a bit noisy anyway because of all the gears, however the bushes should not be noisy.

How about raising the top gaff and making a larger main sail??

Ashley

harry smith 1
                            Participant
                              @harrysmith1

Hi All

I have shorten both gaff booms which looks a lot better.

Also shorten the forward boom a little because it was to close to the radar .

As the rock crawler motor went so well, I zip down to the hobby shop to get another for the other Hellen.

Just finish installing it and checking for correct rotation.

Harry

harry smith 1
                              Participant
                                @harrysmith1

Hi Ashley

The original boat's forward sail was a triangle one which only went to about the same place I have the top boom .

The side fenders were flying about under sail, so I made a new set with a small lead weight in the bottom of them.

They sit better on the boat already.

Nice 12 degrees today, but, a warm 18 inside !!!!

Harry

harry smith 1
                                Participant
                                  @harrysmith1

hellen 2 and 3 view 1.jpghellen 2 and 3 view 2.jpghellen 2 and 3 view 3.jpgHi All

A bit of sunshine today, so I photo the two boats together on the back deck.hellen 2 and 3 view 4.jpg

ashley needham
                                  Participant
                                    @ashleyneedham69188

Harry. They look very nice together, especially on their varnished wooden stands and having a net (ish) background.

I must say though the fore sail looks a bit small to me??? I like the folded sail on the blue one.

Ashley

harry smith 1
                                    Participant
                                      @harrysmith1

Hi Ashley

The blue boat was built as per the plan and pics from the original kit.

Yes I think it's to short and is why I gaff rig the other boat.

A copy of the box and de-constructing's is in my album .

Finally work out the throttle limiting on the Turnigy/Flysky IA6.

I read the instructions !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!hellen001.jpg

Harry

ashley needham
                                      Participant
                                        @ashleyneedham69188

Harry. I thought you were a MAN…reading instructions???????

Trevor has a flysky set (I think?) and he has been grappling with it lately. I think once you get the hang of it, it is not so bad…but it seems a bit complicated to me!

Ashlet

harry smith 1
                                        Participant
                                          @harrysmith1

HI Ashlet

Yes, I read the instructions, after ewe retire it's a past-able thing as we can claim old age and trying to kept up with all the new bells and whistles stuff !!!

The Flysky and Turnigy are the same !!!

After setting the throttle limits( read the instructions) to 40% on both boats for forward and reverse.

The test today on a nice 16 degree day, both boats ran well.

The Hellen with the brass prop stops better in reverse.

A simple change to up the reverse on the other Hellen with the original plastic prop (read the instructions) to 50%

will fix the problem.

Getting the hang of these new radios is a lot easier with the help of you tube, forum sites and club members.

All else fails, read the instructions !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Harry

harry smith 1
                                          Participant
                                            @harrysmith1

Hi All

The 2S 4000mah 25C Lipo batteries arrived today. ditching the 6 volt Gel cell batteries(sold to a club member cheap).

So the only difference in drive setup, is the original plastic prop versus the brass prop.

The plastic requires more power in reverse than forward, so I change it to 50% throttle in reverse.

See how that goes and I did not need to read the instructions this time !!!

The old brain is still hold some info.

For how long is another matter !!!!

Harry

harry smith 1
                                            Participant
                                              @harrysmith1

Hi All

The boat has been sailing well until yesterday when the battery alarm went off !!!

Returning to shore the boat look a bit low in the water.

On lifting it up it was far heavier than 14 pounds.

A lot of water inside and water streaming out the prop shaft.

Well that's what it look like !!!!

Removed a good gallon of water.

Spray the ESC, motor and battery with CRC.

All tested OK !!!!

On removing the prop, motor and shaft.

No water in the silicon tap grease in the tube!!!

On checking around the prop tube all the plywood was wet and had open up.

Removed this and found a small hole under the tube which the more I removed turn into a 4mm hole right into the hull !!!

Filled the hole and clean up all the old glue.

Reglue under the prop tube.

Started remaking a new plywood section.

htthttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4zAorzHG90&feature=youtu.beps:
                                              //www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zhmg6kyk2go&feature=youtu.be
                                              Added two video links from yesterdays meeting.
                                              p1010054.jpg
                                              harry smith 1
                                              Participant
                                                @harrysmith1

Well chaps the old girl is out of dry dock with a new plywood section fibreglass resin coated and painted in ye old Matt 37.

Changed the original plastic prop to a brass five blade to test out the prop on the 55 Turn rock crawler motor.

The 55 and 60 Turn motor handle 60mm 3 blade props, so I though give the 5 blade a go.

Harry

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)