Aerokits Swordsman

Advert

Aerokits Swordsman

Home Forums Collectors’ corner Aerokits Swordsman

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Mirak
    Participant
      @mirak

Sorry, but the buy and sell facility on the Forum is intended for regular contributors rather than as a means of selling items at no cost.

Colin

Edited By Colin Bishop, Website Editor on 11/07/2013 21:45:56

Advert
      Mirak
      Participant
        @mirak
        Paul T
        Participant
          @pault84577

Can you guess what it is?

img_4819r1.jpg

img_4818r1.jpg

Edited By Paul T on 16/07/2013 19:27:20

Dave Milbourn
          Participant
            @davemilbourn48782

Nah – give us a clue, PT.

DM

Edited By Dave Milbourn on 16/07/2013 20:47:25

Paul T
            Participant
              @pault84577

Dave

Here is your 1st clue

Its a much enlarged version of a design produced many years ago by a spotty faced but talented youth whose claim to fame back then was conning HM government out of train fares.

Its amusing to see that the fiddling of official expenses isn't a modern phenomenon.

Owing to cost this model is to large to spray paint so it is being coach painted and rubbed down with 2400grit wet & dry between coats

Paul

Dave Milbourn
              Participant
                @davemilbourn48782

Paul T
                Participant
                  @pault84577

So Dave M has a smug and knowing smile but can anyone else guess what it is?

Paul

With the flared bow and curving superstructure it can only be one thing…….

No Ashley its not a U Boat

Edited By Paul T on 17/07/2013 09:37:48

Paul T
                  Participant
                    @pault84577

Seriously I have to thank Mr Dave Milbourn for letting me carve up his famous drawing so that I could produce this monstrous beast.

Dave Milbourn
                    Participant
                      @davemilbourn48782

You're most welcome, old thing. What manner of propulsion are you going to fit? I reckon at least 35cc will be needed at that size.
                      DM

Bob Abell 2
                      Participant
                        @bobabell2

What size are we talking about?

Bob

Paul T
                        Participant
                          @pault84577

Dave

Propulsion has been something of a debate as originally I intended to fit a strimmer engine with a 50mm prop but I was then talked into using electric so I purchased two 19v motors (ex power tool) with the intention of running them at a higher voltage.

Not tested the motors under load so I don't know what the power consumption will be but I suspect that it will be high.

Dave Milbourn
                          Participant
                            @davemilbourn48782

I'd go with the strimmer engine, but a 50mm prop might be a bit small on a 5 ft hull. My own favourite model of the Huntsman 46" kit was built by Dennis Jenvey of the Nottingham Club back in 197-frozen-to-death. It was powered by a Channel Island Special 15cc 4-stroke petrol engine and sounded wonderful!
                            Please keep us all posted with developments.
                            Dave M

Tony Hadley
                            Participant
                              @tonyhadley

Miss Eedee was a 5ft x 2ft boat and managed to cross the channel in 1951, power provided by an ED Mk V 4.5cc diesel. Prop was two blade 3.25" x 1.75" at 5000rpm.

OK I read this in the August 2013 Flotsam and Jetsam by John Parker. Who noticed the discrepancy in the type of power plant used in this model? In the item E.D. Conquers Channel the diesel is as above i.e. ED Mk V 4.5cc, but in the Model Maker item the diesel is described as a standard ED Mk IV 3.46cc (a magnifier is required). A film clip of the models trials is available on the British Pathe site – Robot Boat.

I'm no expert in this field but if this model conquered the channel with these engines, the power plants suggested by Dave would be more than ample.

Tony.

Paul T
                              Participant
                                @pault84577

Dave and Tony

The problem with strimmer engines is keeping them cool, being air-cooled there is an obvious disparity when used in a boat.

This is something that I struggled with on the Barrel Back where I had to design a forced air system. I have thought about removing the cooling fins from the cylinder and wrapping with a copper coil for water cooling, either way I will need an ancillary motor for a water pump or air fan and even though the boat is 5ft long there is still limited space within the hull.

I have a hankering for an american 40cc four cylinder four stroke engine but they cost a fortune.

Ho Hum

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)