48″ model yatch possibly a marblehead

Advert

48″ model yatch possibly a marblehead

Home Forums Sailing Models 48″ model yatch possibly a marblehead

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    ian arnold 1
    Participant
      @ianarnold1
      Advert
      ian arnold 1
      Participant
        @ianarnold1

I am renovating an old 48" model yatch its 11" beam, hull height deck to top of keel 6", and keel depth 10" from btm of hull to btm of keel i think it could be a marblehead , i have no mast or anything , and would like to know what height to make the mast ,and is it ok to use bamdoo , or would a fibre glass rod be better or make a timber mast if i can get suitable piece of streight grained wood any help much apreciated

Tim Rowe
        Participant
          @timrowe83142

Hello Ian

Welcome. You should be able to find plenty of info on Marbleheads using Google. It is a restricted development class so considerable variations are allowed.

If you fancy making a wooden mast good on you but I would suggest using aluminium tube. You can buy it silver anodized in good hardware shops or if you want something more fit for purpose with a thinner wall you could look up SailsEtc who have a good range of alloy and carbon fibre tube (if you feel like splashing out)

Post some photos if you can.

Tim R

Martin Field 1
          Participant
            @martinfield1

Ian, if it was a Marblehead it would be 50" long. In the earlier days they were known as 50/800 class…50" long and 800 square inches of sail area. Apparently 50" was the length of the back seat of an American family car! I wish!

Martin

Ray Wood 3
            Participant
              @raywood3

Hello Martin,

Good to see you back on the forum, I hope your keeping well in these troubled times.

How's Westmoreland coming on ? Or is it a distant memory ?

Regards Ray

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)