Moonbeam – a novice’s attempt

Advert

Moonbeam – a novice’s attempt

Home Forums Sailing Models Moonbeam – a novice’s attempt

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 51 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • Author
    Andrew Biggs
    Participant
      @andrewbiggs29914

After finding that the jib sheets were catching on the front cowl vents I decided to replace them with some "home" made vents. The front three cabin tops/hatches do not to be removable, once the boat is setup. They only need to be removed if something goes wrong with the winch or sheets. So these hatches have been sealed with a smear of vaseline and sealant. I did a test before to check it didn't make a permanent fix but just provided a seal.

Would like to do a test sail but the weather has not been very cooperative recently.

moonbeam hatches-1.jpg

moonbeam hatches-2.jpg

Advert
      gecon
      Participant
        @gecon

You may need a smooth dome shape to completely prevent snagging but test it out before you change anything. You don't need water or good weather. An electric fan or hairdryer (on cool setting) will do the trick, in the comfort of your own home smiley

George

Andrew Biggs
        Participant
          @andrewbiggs29914

After a second sail – things certainly worked better. However, I found another point of "snagging" for the jib sheets. There are two mooring bollards on the foredeck, these have small horizontal bars sticking out, so are ideal for ropes to catch on. These were replaced by a plain round bollard, which I'd machined from brass and painted white, to match the other deck fittings. I was also unhappy with the design of the small forward deck hatch, so redesigned this so it is lower and more secure. A third sail will hopefully prove problem free.

new hatch-1.jpg

Viewing 3 posts - 51 through 53 (of 53 total)