An old pond yacht

Advert

An old pond yacht

Home Forums Sailing Models An old pond yacht

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 26 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Tim Rowe
    Participant
      @timrowe83142

Hello Eddie

I think Ray is correct that the boat is overpowered and when the wind gets up you might need to fit a smaller rig. I imagine that the heel could have been quite large particularly as not all your ballast is at the lowest part of the keel. When a yacht heels excessively this also tends to make the boat screw up into the wind. Almost certainly your mast step is too far aft and you found an improvement when you moved the mast further forward. I would suggest that the mast step needs to go at least 3/4 its length further forward to give you some further adjustment.
      If you do decide to increase the size of the rudder make it deeper not wider as that will also increase the efficiency (higher aspect ratio).

You have a lovely garden. Something I miss very much hear in Mallorca – Spain

Advert
      Eddie Lancaster
      Participant
        @eddielancaster

Hi, Tim Thank you for your helpful comments, thinking back to yesterday I did have better control when it was in the lee of some trees, only getting out of control when it was in open water and in the full blow of the wind.

I will certainly move the step forward as you suggest to give me further adjustment.

I'm pleased you like the garden as this was my job for 40 years, looking after a 32 acre estate with about five acres of lawn and flower beds.

Eddie.

Edited By Eddie Lancaster on 25/05/2018 17:53:53

Eddie Lancaster
        Participant
          @eddielancaster

Have been sailing the pond yacht over the weekend at Model Boat Mayhem and she performed well,I moved the mast forwards as suggested by 2" and that seemed to do the trick, after sailing on Sunday we had to alter the rigging to accommodate the new mast position and the sail sheets so another trip to Wicksteed this morning and bingo, all was wellsmiley.

dscf3212.jpg

dscf3213.jpg

dscf3216.jpg

My friend has now returned home re-united with a re-juvinated old friend.

Thanks to all who have contributed to this re-furbishment.

Eddie.

Viewing 3 posts - 26 through 28 (of 28 total)