Wherry hulls available

Advert

Wherry hulls available

Home Forums Sailing Models Wherry hulls available

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Martin Field 1
    Participant
      @martinfield1

People will know me as a "make it, don't buy it" person, but I have to confess a)I'm short of time and b)I really don't enjoy clinker work.

I am enquiring if there are any Wherry hulls around that I can buy for a reasonable price or if the Ian Broughton hulls still exist somewhere or even if anyone has a clinker Wherry hull kicking around that maybe needs repair, refitting or something less time consuming than making new. I really would love a Wherry to go with my Vanity Victorian Cutter, so 1/16th scale would be good, but frankly anything from 30" to 4 feet will do.

I found a very nice one being developed on a website for a company called Nigan Craft, but it hasn't been updated since 2016. Any ideas, gents?

Cheers,

Martin

Advert
      Martin Field 1
      Participant
        @martinfield1

Are there any?

Ray Wood 3
        Participant
          @raywood3

Hi Martin,

Dave Watts aka Mastman was telling me he has developed a moulded fibre glass wherry hull, and was telling me how well it sails, maybe worth contacting via his website, his fittings ie winch's are also a time saver

Regards Ray

Martin Field 1
          Participant
            @martinfield1

Hi Ray,

many thanks for that. I left a post on his facebook page and he answered immediately and is going to Pm with details. I do hope it's a good sized one and not some silly footy thing!

Progress, anyway.

Thanks again.

Cheers, Martin

Ray Wood 3
            Participant
              @raywood3

Hi Martin

10lbs of lead in the bilges, so I don't think you need to worry about it being too small

Regards Ray

Martin Field 1
              Participant
                @martinfield1

Haha, no, good point. In fact he has just messaged me on Facebook to give me the dimensions. Just what I'm after. I'm juts trying to confirm that it's clinker, not carvel.

Name is going down for one!

Cheers,

Martin

Martin Field 1
                Participant
                  @martinfield1

39"x11"x5". Poifick!

Cheers,

Martin

Martin Field 1
                  Participant
                    @martinfield1

Well, we saw a picture "elsewhere" of a wherry-ish item and I was not impressed, so my wife bought me a set of Yeoman fittings for the Crash Tender instead as a birthday present.

I just got a new photo from Mastman of his new wherry moulding and disappointingly it is carvel, not clinker, seems not to have a deck and although it's much better than the original picture it still looks a bit flabby in the sides.

I've owned 2 models of Albion. I really don't want another.

So, if I make a wooden one of Gleaner, 1/16th scale, would anyone be interested in using as a master for mould making? Fee would be original back and 2 free mouldings.

Martin

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)