“Vanity” off the building board

Advert

“Vanity” off the building board

Home Forums Sailing Models “Vanity” off the building board

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Martin Field 1
    Participant
      @martinfield1

Hi all, had a very unexpected surprise this afternoon when I removed my model of "Vanity" from her building board. It was as light as a feather! This is good news for a deep draughted yacht as it should help with keeping the ballast all internally. Because she is to be glassed, epoxied and painted I have been less careful than if I were making a fancy racing yacht with a wood finish. I also had strips of Cuban mahogany of less than regular thickness to work with, but had to use it as my son had cut it all up from a set of dining chairs my Grandad made in the 30s, which had fallen to bits. He would have approved as model boats was his earliest hobby and he was a founder of the Victoria Model Steamboat Club. Using planks as wide as I did has meant that a few sections might need to be backed up on the inside and filled on the outside, but that's fine. I will have a lot of work to do on the inside to make her strong enough in way of mast and standing rigging and where the dual sail winch system will go. Then the deck with its covering boards joggled round the bulwarks and the deck planks all tapering towards bow and stern, but, unusually with no King plank.

Anybody ever made a 1/16th scale shipwright's mitred dovetail?

Cheers,

Martin

Advert
      Martin Field 1
      Participant
        @martinfield1

The building of a Victorian C class cutter

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)