Star SY6 Southern Star

Advert

Star SY6 Southern Star

Home Forums Collectors’ corner Star SY6 Southern Star

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    bob weedon
    Participant
      @bobweedon87804

I have acquired a Star SY6 Southern Star and I'm hoping this might be the appropriate place to ask a question or two. The boat has a round stern which I believe makes it an earlier example; is it known when Star changed to the squared-off stern? The deck of my boat is the same white as the hull whereas many pictures of the SY6 show a varnished deck. The Star transfer is in place, but I wonder if the deck has been repainted and a replacement transfer applied. Or maybe the earlier versions had a white deck??

I visited the Vintage Pond Yachts site in the hope of ordering a repro stand but they are said to be "out of stock". Is there another source? I know I could make something myself but The ones they offer look very authentic.

I would be grateful for any information on Star Yachts wherever it can be found. Like many others I am revisiting childhood memories with this boat, and i look forward to a day round the West Shore pond at Llandudno this summer.

Advert
      bob weedon
      Participant
        @bobweedon87804
        Gareth Jones
        Participant
          @garethjones79649

HI Bob,

There is some information about Star yachts on the Vintage Model Yacht Group website. I don't know if it will help answer your questions but there is a link to it here:- **LINK**

Gareth

bob weedon
          Participant
            @bobweedon87804

Thanks for your response. There is a reference to the round/square stern matter, they say……

"Early (pre-1939?) hulls have a rounded counter stern, but more recent (post 1945?) models have a square stern."

I note the question mark after "pre-1939". However the deck colour isn't mentioned. I would like to find if repro "Southern Star" transfers are available or if they could be made from a good photograph of an original.

Mark R
            Participant
              @markr

Hi Bob,

I don't think that all Star yachts post 1945 had squared off sterns but believe that the change was made much later than this, certainly in the late 1970's catalogues the stern was still shown as rounded but this might be due to a reluctance to spend money on re-photographing the range… I suspect that your yacht probably dates to the 1960's.

Your painted deck is quite usual, most SY/6's are finished in this way as they were "The senior models of the Popular Series, these boats represent the ultimate in solid hulled sailing yachts". (taken from a 1970's catalogue).

The varnished decks were primarily only for the "De-luxe, hollow versions of the Popular Series" – The MK/1, MK/2, MK/3, MK/4 and above.

The Vintage Pond Yachts site is mine but sadly I just don't have the time currently to add more information to it nor to make up any more Star Yacht stands. I will certainly be doing this at some point but I'm not sure when.

I have just checked and although I don't have any blue stands left I do have one available in green if you're interested? It's the medium sized stand that you'll need for a Southern Star.

Unfortunately the "Southern Star" transfers are no longer available.

I'm sorry that I can't be more helpful but I hope you have fun sailing her at Llandudno this summer.

Mark

David Cracknell
              Participant
                @davidcracknell72532

Hi Bob, found your enquiry on line whilst researching for my own rebuilds. There is a useful Star society web page. I have joined this and the Star appreciation group Facebook page.

information re a rebuild is via this link. Also Graham who set up the page can supply decals and advice

http://www.birkenheadstaryachts.co.uk/ocean_star.htm

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)