smoke units

Advert

smoke units

Home Forums All things floating smoke units

• This topic has 4 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago by Alasdair Allan.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Alasdair Allan
    Participant
      @alasdairallan37423

HI – do people have views on smoke units (ie nebulisers)?  I have had a few failed attempts to get these to work reliably and was thinking of splashing out on the new Denes mini smoker reviewed recently in Model Boats.  It is not cheap though – think it is about £100.  Is it any good, in people’s experience, in terms of reliability?

Advert
      Richard Simpson
      Participant
        @richardsimpson88330

I’m afraid I can’t add anything more than I wrote in the article so I’m not a lot of help to you.  By the very fact that the Mini Smoker is a completely new type of nebuliser I think the more traditional type is more tried and tested.  The great advantage though is that it is much smaller so can go into smaller models.    It would be interesting to see if anyone has put one of the Mini Smokers into a model yet and is using it regularly.

Alasdair Allan
        Participant
          @alasdairallan37423

Thanks Richard – my problem is I can’t get my existing nebuliser to produce much puff.  It is fairly new but has given up the ghost a bit.  I have not shortcircuited it, but it is now just so feeble that it is not really worth the effort! have tried different batteries. will keep experimenting!

Richard Simpson
          Participant
            @richardsimpson88330

Hi Alasdair, when performance drops off it is usually as a result of a build up of dirt or scale on the vibrating brass disc.  Some of them have a replaceable disc and some of them allow the disc to be removed to clean.  If you can access the disc I would give it a wash with warm, slightly soapy water and a soft paint brush.  If there is scale on it you might have to wash it for a while.  If you can see the disc it might be worth trying washing it in place.

This might be all it needs to improve the performance.  The level of water above it also plays a significant part in it’s ability to produce vapour so fill the tank slowly with the unit working to see where the best level is.

Alasdair Allan
            Participant
              @alasdairallan37423

Actually, now that I have the flue sorted out, I can get the Model Boat Bits smoke unit to run for almost two hours. Thanks for advice re cleaning.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)