Self or non-centering rudder?

Advert

Self or non-centering rudder?

Home Forums Sailing Models Self or non-centering rudder?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    gecon
    Participant
      @gecon

Is it best to use a non-centering rudder in a boat with sails? I have only sailed my Comtesse yacht a couple of times since launching and have thought of trying it without self-centering. Under sail, the rudder is after all, hardly ever in the centre position.

Maybe this is something which many already do and as usual, I'm slow off the mark!

George

Edited By George Edward Connery on 16/07/2020 08:43:49

Advert
      gecon
      Participant
        @gecon
        Malcolm Frary
        Participant
          @malcolmfrary95515

Almost everybody with an RC yacht has the rudder worked by a servo which is plugged into a radio channel that has as its information source a sprung stick, Effectively, self centering.

Most try to set the sails so that the boat will balance and sail straight without controlling the rudder. Then, the next day, we can try to do the same again because the wind strength and direction patterns will be different. One of the things that ensures that sailing a model yacht is always interesting.

gecon
          Participant
            @gecon

Thanks for your reply Malcolm,

Was out today and used rudder trim (of course combined with sail trim) to reduced the need for constant rudder inputs. Worked very well. I will however try the rudder control without self-centering some time in the future. I realise that it's not possible to avoid tweeking the rudder during gusts and lulls etc. It's easy to revert back to spring centering again.

George

Eddie Lancaster
            Participant
              @eddielancaster

Hi.George, if you go with a non self centering rudder you won’t know if it’s the rudder or the sails controlling the direction, and you could be sailing with the brake on, just a thought.

Regards.

Eddie.

gecon
              Participant
                @gecon

That's true, but I can see where the the stick is, but not know if it's exactly centrered of course. I'll work on the use of rudder trim for the time being! Thanks,

George

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)