Scale Sailing…again

Advert

Scale Sailing…again

Home Forums Sailing Models Scale Sailing…again

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Martin Field 1
    Participant
      @martinfield1
      Advert
      Martin Field 1
      Participant
        @martinfield1

OK, I can't find anything on the 'net about the old and now, apparently, defunct Scale Sail Association, so maybe it's time to try and rejuvenate interest in it.

I understand Mike Taylor was very much its driving force, but they had 600 members! That's a lot of people to drive and surely someone will have been willing to take over an organisation that big!

The domain name is no longer in use. There's a company called scale sailing and is anything but, but that's it. Now either model boats generally are dying out or there's something weird going on. You don't "lose" 600 members with some very keen modelmakers among them.

Is there any residual interest in rejuvenating this organisation? Are all the keen ones from the 600 dead? Conceivable I suppose.

Would anyone interested in this please say so on here and I'll have some idea what can be done.

Cheers,

Martin

Duncan Ashenford 1
        Participant
          @duncanashenford1

Hi Martin,

I would be interested in a revived Scale Sail Association.

It did seem strange to me to have had that many members and then to die out. I had other interests at the time it was active – raising a family! Mike Taylor must have been some enthusiast to seemingly drive the Association single handed including writing a regular newsletter. I would like to see the newsletters but have only come across references to them.

Best regards,

Duncan

Martin Field 1
          Participant
            @martinfield1

Duncan,

thanks for your response. So far the only one.

I too would love to see the magazines.

I have a phone number for a chap in Herne Bay who was something to do with it. I'll try him later.

It's very odd how these apparently rock solid outfits can just die out. I used to be a member of the Thames Shiplovers and ship Model Society, but they too seem to have died out. Probably ACTUALLY died out as they were all pretty old when I saw them at meetings! My first ever commission came through them.

I'll keep your post and let you know one way or the other.

Cheers,

Martin

Mark Erwood 1
            Participant
              @markerwood1

I am a bit late to this thread but I would be interested in a resurrected Scale Sailing Association or something similar. I have been toying with the idea of building a scale sailing vessel for some time but have been involved in building a full-size boat. Now am in a position to do something I discover that the SSA has disappeared!

Even a dedicated Forum might be an idea.

Mark

harry smith 1
              Participant
                @harrysmith1

Ray Wood is into sailing barges, he maybe some one who would help you guys.

Harry Smith

Martin Field 1
                Participant
                  @martinfield1

Mark, it would be very good to see a revived Scale Saiing Assoc. perhaps we can organise something, although this time of year is when I rather hibernate away from boat modeling!

Let me know your ideas?

Cheers,

Martin

Mark Erwood 1
                  Participant
                    @markerwood1

Hi Martin,

I think that the way forward depends on 1) How much support there would be, and

2) How everyone was geographically disposed around the country

I am in Saltash, Cornwall and I can look out over the River Tamar from here. There is also a reasonable size lake at Millbrook, about 30mins drive from here, so plenty of places to sail but unfortunately the local clubs seem only to be interested in small – 600mm or so – models. I am interested in things somewhat larger.

If there was a reasonable size group of like-minded people close enough together to meet and talk, and maybe sail together occasionally, then maybe that could be a nucleus for something bigger. Something to build on.

If, however we are all spread out too much then it is inevitable that anything would have to operate as an Internet Group, or Forum, until more interest was generated. I think it would still be beneficial to be able talk about projects, exchange ideas, give help and encouragement etc., even if it was only over the internet

What ideas does anybody else have?

Mark

Colin Bishop
                      @colinbishop34627

I'm sure that Graham Ashby as Editor of Model Boats would be happy to provide some space to support the reestablishment of a Scale Sailing Association and you are very welcome to continue with discussions on this Forum

Colin

Martin Field 1
                      Participant
                        @martinfield1

Mark, I am so busy with other stuff that I doubt if I could run anything, but I'd happily join in if you had a facebook page, for instance. I started a similar page and in over a year I was the only real contributor. I don't consider "likes"to be contributions. I recently deleted the page. I have a lot o water near me (the Fens), but no enthusiasts or clubs, so I would only sail alone on the nearby river.

Martin

Graham Ashby 1
                        Participant
                          @grahamashby1

Hi All, If you want to try and kick something off I'd be very happy to give this publicity in the magazine and on our Facebook page. We could also give it a dedicated Forum section here so that members can find it easily. Food for thought. Let me know what you'd like and I'll see what I can do. Failing that, if someone want's to take responsibility for starting it (or even simply canvassing interest) let me know and we can put a feeler out in the mag. Personally, I like the idea. Graham.

Martin Field 1
                          Participant
                            @martinfield1

Graham, that's very kind of you and I'm sure others here might be keen to write something to help get a section started on Scale Sailing.

I was put off by the lack of contributions to the FB page I started on the topic. Perhaps the title confused or something, but I gave them a fortnight to comment and nobody did.

So, I will wish you good luck with it.

Martin

Graham Ashby 1
                            Participant
                              @grahamashby1

Martin, the problem with Facebook, as I see it, is reaching the target audience. Fact is, if someone's prepared to do the donkey work, the magazine and its various avenues of communication can help to put the word out. Although selling magazines is our primary objective we'll always help where we can.

Martin Field 1
                              Participant
                                @martinfield1

In slot racing FB has worked very well, but you must have a point as my sailing page was basically just me and If I tired of it for a while nothing appeared for months. But please do say a few words in the magazine. BTW, I just got hold of the December issue for the Puffer info (my chum wants a small scale master for his scenic accessory range) and it was a very good issue.

Martin

Graham Ashby 1
                                Participant
                                  @grahamashby1

Martin, thanks for the kind words about the December issue. In truth Paul (and our band of fine contributors) did all the hard work on that one, I just tickled it before it went to the printer. Anyway, I'm genuinely pleased it was well received. Graham

Martin Field 1
                                  Participant
                                    @martinfield1

I did try to get it at 2 shops, before realising I was a month out! So I bought it through ebay. He'd copied the plans onto A3 and they're bang on.

Cheers,

Martin

Graham Ashby 1
                                    Participant
                                      @grahamashby1

That Jim, he's good you know wink

Martin Field 1
                                      Participant
                                        @martinfield1

After a lifetime (nearly!) of modelmaking and judging plans, I have got a sixth sense for a quality job. If only all cars were drawn by Etienne Becker or the great Jenks and all boats by Harold Underhill.

The newer chaps I haven't properly checked out but at a glance these look good enough for me to want to make a Puffer, but I have too many projects. Honest!

Martin

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)