Lite ply

Advert

Lite ply

Home Forums All things floating Lite ply

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Tim Cooper
    Participant
      @timcooper90034
      Advert
      Tim Cooper
      Participant
        @timcooper90034

Has anyone found a way to flatten warped lite ply?

I have several small sheets which have been stored flat but have warped.

I have tried damping one which went flat . Leaving under a weight. This seemed to solve the problem initially until fully dry.

Tim

Richard Simpson
        Participant
          @richardsimpson88330

When you actually use the lite ply the framework that you are attaching it to should pull the sheet into the appropriate shape. Assuming the framework is strong enough to do so without flexing. If the ply is badly warped I wouldn't use it.

Edited By Richard Simpson on 06/09/2023 17:30:23

Colin Bishop
            @colinbishop34627

Quite agree with Richard on this.

Colin

Tim Cooper
            Participant
              @timcooper90034

Thanks. I just wondered if anyone had a cure.

I'll have to use it in small pieces somehow and get some more when I start my next model.

Tim

Colin Bishop
                @colinbishop34627

The Lite Ply that came with my SLEC Fairey kits was a bit warped on some pieces but conformed to shape when the models were assembled.

Personally I don't like the stuff much as it is too fragile but have to admit that when used in the way Dave Milbourn designed the Faireys it worked very well indeed. A lot of that was down to the very precise cutting of the parts which hardly needed glue to hold the structure together.

I wouldn't choose it for my 'bodge it' modelmaking style though. blush

Colin

John W E
                Participant
                  @johnwe

bb build 2 (2).jpgbb build 2 (1).jpgWhen I use lite ply, as in my last build – I generally start off using a very true flat base board. On my last build I clamped the bottom panel of the hull to ensure that it was perfectly flat and true – I then built up internal bulkheads ensuring that they were at 90 degrees to each other – in a box section effect. This was all glued to the bottom panel of the hull. This made the bottom panel perfectly flat and true. This was all built up using 2mm lite ply.

I store my lite ply sheets in the loft flat on the floor sandwiched between 2 pieces of chipboard. They still warp a little bit but not too bad. I would say it is usable.

Couple of pictures of my last build to show you how I used lite ply.

bb2 (1).jpg

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)