Cleaning old sails

Advert

Cleaning old sails

Home Forums Sailing Models Cleaning old sails

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Martin Field 1
    Participant
      @martinfield1

I have just become the proud owner of an old Star yacht with a grubby-ish main sail and an absolutely filthy jib.

I am loathe to just dump them and remake, so what do you sail fellas suggest for cleaning them up?

Also, what kind of string is available that looks like the old stuff? Mine is completely wrecked and just falling to bits.

Martin

Advert
      Martin Field 1
      Participant
        @martinfield1
        Ray Wood 3
        Participant
          @raywood3

Hi Martin

Do you have access to a steamer, my long suffering wife uses a VAX on everything here, maybe you wouldn't have to de-rig your yacht?

Regards Ray

Martin Field 1
          Participant
            @martinfield1

Ray, we don't have a steamer I'm afraid. Currently they're sitting in bleach, but I have a feeling the jib is covered in old oil as the jib boom also seems to "bleed" when I clean it.

The main is grubby more than filthy so I have that in the bleach except for the logo, which I don't want to lose. Although I could cut a stencil of it and airbrush it back on if necessary. Problem with the sails is the little holes where the rigging cord goes through are becoming bigger holes and I really don't want to make new ones if I can help it. Still wondering what to use for replacement white cord.

Cheers,

Martin

Martin Field 1
            Participant
              @martinfield1

Answering my own question… I've found and ordered this:-

https://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/acatalog/caldercraft_C82130N.html#SID=182

At 1.3mm diameter is just right and is described as natural, so not waxed and shiny, but cottonnish and just off white.

Martin

Paul T
              Participant
                @pault84577

Martin

Its to late to warn you but its best to avoid any bleach based products as they might de-stabilize the material and cause it to 'rot'.

Paul

Martin Field 1
                Participant
                  @martinfield1
                  Could be Paul, but we had to do something. Old is good, but filthy serves no purpose. The Vanish stuff seems to be doing the job very well so far. Will be rinsing out shortly. I have some Caldercraft off white string coming to complete things with some white styrene bowsies.
                  My wife assures me Vanish is not a bleach. If I had access to some clean petrol I'd have used that first as I'm sure the bulk of the grime was oil based, but so far I'm pleased with the results from Vanish. I'm hoping I can get the same sails re-rigged.
                  I managed to scrape the rusty tinplate mast and bowsprit fittings back to a semblance of shiny metal and lightly oiled them and happened to have some Humbrol No. 2 Emerald green for the outer line on the hull which had taken a few knocks. The deck polished up well and I can just touch it in here and there with some red.
                  Martin
                  Paul T
                  Participant
                    @pault84577

Martin

Vanish does contain a bleach but its a Sodium Percarbonate rather than Chlorine-based but it is a better option at breaking down the enzymes and it doesn't weaken the fibres.

Glad you didn't have an petrol as that would have knackered the sails.

How about some photos

Paul

Martin Field 1
                    Participant
                      @martinfield1

Paul, why would petrol have knackered the sails? I thought it would have dislodged the more difficult to shift bits?

Martin

Martin Field 1
                      Participant
                        @martinfield1

And I still have no idea how to put photos on here. Pity because my dear bride just bought me a superb new camera for Christmas.

Martin

Paul T
                        Participant
                          @pault84577

Martin

Petrol would remove the oil based stains but just like Chlorine based bleaches it also attacks the stability of the cotton structure.

Posting photos is fairly easy

Just start at top of this page in the dark blue line where it says Albums,

You will then be asked if you want to add photos, click on add photos and you will be asked to create an album.

Fill in the Album title (with or without more info) then click on create the album.

You will then find yourself on a page where you select photos from your computer and upload them to the forum.

Check that the uploads are the correct ones and confirm changes.

Your new album is now created and populated with photos.

To add the photos in to a thread simply click on the little black camera that lurks at the top of each thread posting page.

Then just select the photo that you want.

Sounds easy but it took me a while to fathom it out.

Paul

Martin Field 1
                          Participant
                            @martinfield1

Thanks for the instructions, Paul. I'll give it a try with my nice new camera.

Cheers,

Martin

Richard Caughey 1
                            Participant
                              @richardcaughey1

I would n’t worry to much when the boat is in the water and 30 to 50 yards away it will look fine. But if they are really bad soak them in old fashioned soap flakes.

I have also found alchol works too lots of isopropyl alcohol on the sails and a couple of G and T’s to keep me happy whilst cleaning them.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)