Billings Kadet

Advert

Billings Kadet

Home Forums Beginners Billings Kadet

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    gordon bubb
    Participant
      @gordonbubb68746

I have recently been re-commissioning this boat after many years sitting in the loft. It has an MFA-Como RE380 motor, 3-6v and a 40mm X40 two bladed prop. When used with a 7.2v Li-Ion battery she will lift the bows out of the water quite nicely, looks good on the water. However when used at full speed for any length of time the motor gets hot. The ESC is a cheap 16 amp ebay one and also gets hot enough to have split the heatshrink covering. This is probably advantageous as it allows better cooling.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a better motor, probably brushless. There are so many out there I cannot work out what spec I need. I also need a better battery so if I have to go up to a 3S that is not a problem.

Thanks,

Gordon

Advert
      gordon bubb
      Participant
        @gordonbubb68746
        ashley needham
        Participant
          @ashleyneedham69188

Hi Gordon and welcome to the forum.

That 380 is far too small for an X40 prop as you surmise. It’s a wonder the esc has not burnt out. A change to an S35 would probably maintain almost the same performance and keep the heat manageable, as the motor would spin faster and not draw so many amps, just as an easy fix. I have the same combination in several boats and on a 15A esc they run ok.

A 28mm brushless outrunner of approx 1300Kv would be more appropriate on the 7.2 battery, reasonably plentiful on EBay. A lot of them are marked “2212” for some reason. A reversing brushless esc will likely cost a bit more than a brushed esc however, but if you can manage with no reverse, a 28mm/esc (aircraft style non reversing) combo can be had for very reasonable price. Look at the “drone” department on Ebay.

Ashley

gordon bubb
          Participant
            @gordonbubb68746

Ashley,

Thanks for confirming my suspicions and more importantly recommending a solution. It is all so long ago I have no idea where the motor and prop came from as I don't think they were in the kit. A new prop will be acquired.

Gordon

gordon bubb
            Participant
              @gordonbubb68746

Ashley,

You were spot on. Today with an S35 the motor barely had warmth in it and the now bare ESC had no warmth. And the boat is faster!

Gordon

Dave Smith 17
              Participant
                @davesmith17

i have a slightly damaged Billings' Kadet upstairs that I built with my daughter about 30 years ago. Three or fur years ago she discovered it in a cupboard and gave it to me for recommissioning. I haven't had a chance to make a start on it yet, but plan ti use a small brushless motor to get it back on the water before too long.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)