900-Ton barque

Advert

900-Ton barque

Home Forums Static modelling 900-Ton barque

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 62 total)
  • Author
    Bob Wilson
    Participant
      @bobwilson59101
      Advert
      Bob Wilson
      Participant
        @bobwilson59101

16th April, 2020

A nine -hundred ton barque of my own design – and I am very pleased at how it is coming along The three cargo hatches and the fife rails round fore and main masts have been fitted. The wheelbox and wheel still need to be made, plus the windlass, forecastle scuttle and various other small deck details.

900 ton barque.jpg

Banjoman
        Participant
          @banjoman

Bob,

Of your own design? So a generic barque, rather than one with an actual prototype?

No matter which: it certainly looks as great as always, so far!

Mattias

Bob Wilson
          Participant
            @bobwilson59101

Yes, I began it as an experiment in hull construction without the use of a saw , and for instructional purposes. It is made from layers of balsa wood all cut with a scalpel. By the time I had finished the bare hull, I decided to push ahead and complete it, Bob

Bob Wilson
            Participant
              @bobwilson59101

Tuesday, 21st April 2020

I have now completed the hull, and it is all ready for masting and rigging – I replaced the forecastle companionway, as I didn't like the original one. But as this vessel is a figment of my imagination, it doesn't really matter!

Minimal interest shown in this one, but I feel it is one of my best so far.

900 ton barque 21st april 2020.jpg

ashley needham
              Participant
                @ashleyneedham69188

Bob. How did you do the "copper sheeting" ? That's very fine work with a pen, or whatever… Ashley

Bob Wilson
                Participant
                  @bobwilson59101

laugh You wouldn't guess in a million years! surprise It is a photograph of a brick wall. I stretched the bricks in photoshop to the required scale and printed them onto writing paper. I cut strips of bricks two or three brick deep and stuck them on with wood glue. This is the first time I have done this, and I am absolutely delighted with the result . It only took about 15 minutes!

Bob

ashley needham
                  Participant
                    @ashleyneedham69188

Very creative Bob, Dead right, wouldn't have guessed that. Appears to work a treat I must say!

Ashley

Banjoman
                    Participant
                      @banjoman

Bob,

I entirely agree with Ashley: it looks great, and is indeed av very cleverly creative solution!

Mattias

Bob Abell 2
                      Participant
                        @bobabell2

Bob……Please don't take offence

When you first posted and mentioned…." Your own design " I instantly thought…."Why has Bob done that?"

I am still wondering

Looking at you model, I can't help thinking that the hull looks very bulky?

Any comments on my observation?

Honestly, Bob, Imdon't mean any offence

I think it's a fair comment?

Best regards

Bob

Bob Wilson
                        Participant
                          @bobwilson59101

Bob,

I certainly haven't taken any offence!smiley The answers are quite simple. Initially, I had no intention of finishing it. It was to produce a download on how to make hulls, and get the shape right in plain and simple language to try and dsipel the myth "I could never do that!" The dimesions are standard for that type of ship. Most sailing ships were not long and slender, as is commonly supposed. They had to have bulky hulls because of their tall masts, and also in order to carry a lot of cargo. On completion of the bare hull, I was so pleased with it, I decided to coninue with the deck details, and finally the masting and rigging. So that readers of the completed article could learn how to build one, whilst not being tied to plans of any particular ship. but could alter the deck layout, and even the rig to suit what they wanted. Finally giving the completed model any name they wished (wives, girlfriemds, partners etc).

To demonstrate the point of hull shape – here is a wreck of a similar vessel –

I have now stopped at the finished hull, and will make the display case and base next, and then come back to the masting and rigging.

Bob

unknown wreck cropped.jpg

Edited By Bob Wilson on 22/04/2020 10:04:11

Edited By Bob Wilson on 22/04/2020 10:11:51

Bob Abell 2
                          Participant
                            @bobabell2

Thank you, Bob for your kind reply, I was expecting a few flares and fireworks!

All is explained now

But I`m glad I got it off my chest

All the best, my mate

Bob

Colin Bishop
                              @colinbishop34627

Wonderful idea Bob and so effective.

Colin

Bob Wilson
                              Participant
                                @bobwilson59101

Thanks Colin,

I just remembered I had this photogrpah, it graphically illustrates the shape of these old wooden vessels. This was the last mortal remains of the 400-ton wooden barque Jhelum, that I photographed in Port Stanley, Falkland Islands in 1982. She was built in Liverpool in 1850, and hulked at Stanley in 1870 after getting a severe battering off Cape Horn. It was quite interesting inside it, as the poop cabins remained, but everything forward was in the final stages of decay, and the whole shebang has since collapsed into the harbour. So ended the last surviving Indfiaman!   That is my ship in the background, RMS St Helena, all flagged out for the victory party to be held onboard that evening –  

Bob

jhelum 3.jpg

Edited By Bob Wilson on 22/04/2020 20:26:10

Edited By Bob Wilson on 22/04/2020 20:26:50

Bob Abell 2
                                Participant
                                  @bobabell2

Hi Bob

Do you recall me mentioning my schools wartime Capt Savery`s…….Adopted ship a few years ago?

I seem to remember it was called SS Helena?

How old was your ship?

Oh!…..Sorry Bob, I remember now, it was torpedoed off Africa

I`ll leave this post on, it may be of interest?

Bob

Bob Wilson
                                  Participant
                                    @bobwilson59101

Bob,

I do remember. My St Helena was built in 1963 in Vancouver, as Northland Prince, but became St Helena in 1978. Then we all transferred to a new ship, also called St Helena in late 1989.

Bob

Bob Abell 2
                                    Participant
                                      @bobabell2

Thank you Bob, that`s put my mind to rest

Bob

Bob Wilson
                                      Participant
                                        @bobwilson59101

For the last two days, I have been making the display case – soon be ready for the masting & rigging!

Bob Wilson
                                        Participant
                                          @bobwilson59101

Started masting & rigging –

Bob

close up (large).jpg

Bob Wilson
                                          Participant
                                            @bobwilson59101

More progress on the 900-ton barque. It does not have a name – I designed it myself. Initially, I did not intend to finish it, but made the hull to try out a new method of showing the copper plating. But after I had made the hull, I was so pleased with it, that I decided to carry on. The copper plating is actually a photograph of a brick wall. I stretched the bricks in Adobe Photoshop to the correct scale of the plating, and put them on in strips two or three bricks deep. It did not take very long, I and really like the way this model is turning out!

This one has not aroused a great deal of interest – another "damp squib" in fact, but I like it very much, and feel it is one of my best so far –

barque 6th may 2020.jpg

Bob Abell 2
                                            Participant
                                              @bobabell2

Don`t be discouraged Bob…… You have soldiered on to the end of the road and have self satisfaction

In real life, was the copper sheathing worth all the expense and effort?

How were they attached?

It must have been a bit of a struggle, unloading the cargo, with limited head room

How must ballast would she carry running light?

Keep up the good work

Bob

Bob Wilson
                                              Participant
                                                @bobwilson59101

Bob,

I am not in the least discouraged. The fact that so few people make anything like this makes it far easier for me to sell them, although we may keep this one, as we like it so much. The copper sheathing was certainly worth the effort. It kept the worms from boring into the planking and ruining an expensive ship. The plates were nailed on over a felt backing. Quite often, sailing ships spent weeks or months in port loading or discharging, but there was plenty of headroom inside merchant ships. It was only sailing warships that had low headroom in order to pack in hundreds of seamen. Ships like this would normally have cargo, but the big iron or steel ones, especially on the nitrate run to South America, would sometimes go out in ballast that was generally hundreds of tons assorted rubble, but a cargo of coal out and nitrates back was more profitable

Bob

Edited By Bob Wilson on 06/05/2020 09:42:04

Bob Wilson
                                                Participant
                                                  @bobwilson59101

This is the'tween deck of the iron barque Lady Elizabeth, completed at Sunderland in 1879. She was about 1,200 tons. There was plenty of headroom down below. I was standing up when I too the photograph, and there was plenty of space above me. The lower hold was even deeper, but I couldn't go down there, because it was full of water.

Bob

lady elizabeth tween deck (large).jpg

Bob Abell 2
                                                  Participant
                                                    @bobabell2

Thank you, Bob

It looks rather clean and tidy, is it being preserved?

We used to visit Porthmadog quite often in the old days

There was a large boat similar to your present build, on display and open to visitors, I regret now that we never went down below now. I think it was called Gladstone and is now berthed in Cornwall. were the TV prog was made

Don`t suppose you have made a model of her?

It was a very dark and dismal black ship

Bob

Bob Wilson
                                                    Participant
                                                      @bobwilson59101

I can only think you mean Garlandstone, never heard of Gladstone! But I haven't built Garlandstone. I have done a few of these coasting schooners, but generally prefer bigger ships.   The Lady Elizabeth, above is not being preserved.    It is lying beached in Whalbone Cove, Port Stanley, Falkland Islands, where it is slowly rusting away.    Structurally, it is in a terribel state.   I could see out when down below through one-inch cracks in the iron plating..

Bob

Edited By Bob Wilson on 06/05/2020 17:06:51

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 62 total)