540 Model Sails

Advert

540 Model Sails

Home Forums Sailing Models 540 Model Sails

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Nigel Page
    Participant
      @nigelpage87370
      Advert
      Nigel Page
      Participant
        @nigelpage87370

Hi all,

I'm looking for some help with the sails on an old 540 model yacht. I have three sets and they are all made up of individual panels. These seem to have been stuck together with some form of double sided tape which has now let go. My question is, what do I use to stick them back together?

20210720_105417.jpg

20210720_105429.jpg

Thanking you in anticipation,

Nigel.

ashley needham
        Participant
          @ashleyneedham69188

Hi Nigel and welcome to the forum.

At the risk of being obvious, but cleaning off the old gunk and using more double sided tape would be easiest.??

Not a sailman myself, but what are the sails made from?? Plastic or something…Mylar perhaps.

Ashley

Tim Rowe
          Participant
            @timrowe83142

Ashely has it about right. I make sails, so clean off the old residue and use new double-sided tape. If it is Mylar you can use acetone to get rid of the old stuff. If not, use white spirit.

You could make the overlap of the joints a fraction wider. You will lose a small amount of luff length if you do. The most important thing is to reinforce the join at each end to stop the "peeling" effect. The best material to use is Mylar tape on films. On woven materials I use deck patch or sail number material. Cut out a disc or a diamond shape and fold it over the end of the join.

Tim R

Ray Wood 3
            Participant
              @raywood3

Hi Nigel,

The HFM 590 is a great little yacht, I always had one in the car during 1980's just in case I saw a lake for a quick sail

The original sails were one piece of drafting film not panelled, your boat looks like it may have been raced, 3M invisible tape would work on film but you may haver to tape both sides.(not as good as the tape Tim uses)

The only thing that cut short their lives was the steel bar keel weight in the plastic bulb keel as they used to rust, but you maybe lucky.

They are great little yachts, I wish I still had mine.

Regards Ray

Nigel Page
              Participant
                @nigelpage87370

Thank you all for your replies and help.

Is there any particular make of double sided tape and mylar tape that you would recommend?

Regards,

Nigel.

Tim Rowe
                Participant
                  @timrowe83142

I get mine from SailsEtc.

Looking at your photos, there is reinforcement around the eyelets. Same sort of thing like I said is required at both ends of the join.

Tim R

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)