1:8 scale crew

Advert

1:8 scale crew

Home Forums All things floating 1:8 scale crew

• This topic has 9 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 2 months ago by Richard Simpson.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Dave Reed
    Participant
      @davereed72029

Hi all,

Looking for a “crew” for SLEC 1:8 scale Fairey Huntress. Given that it’s a pleasure boat, beach wear would be appropriate.

At 1:6 it’s easy, (barbie, action man, sindy etc) but they would look about 8 feet tall!. Having trouble finding 1:8 – any suggestions? I would like them to be human looking, not the superhero or other fictional creatures I have seen.

Dave

Advert
      Richard Simpson
      Participant
        @richardsimpson88330

I’m afraid you’ve picked yourself a challenge there Dave.  I have had problems with figures numerous times in the past and come up against the same wall you have.  Having spent many hours trawling the internet the only comments I can suggest are the following.

1) 1/8th seems to be about the worst, the only things available are action and cartoon based figures.  Such things are usually way beyond modifying.

2) 1/10th might be worth considering instead.  There are one or two human based figures out there, there are John Wicks for instance and I got hold of a character from Alien in 1/10th, which worked perfectly on a Krick Anna.

28-05-21-15KrickAnna3

3) The big challenge is that just about all figures of this size come under the ‘collectors’ umbrella and therefore tend to be a ridiculous price.

4) There is more scope nowadays with Shapeways.  Challenges there are the products are printed in Holland and so you pay import duty on them and 3D printed items in 1/8th scale will again be extreemly expensive.

5) If you can manipulate the model to be 1/12th then you have doll’s house figures but that might not be possible if it is now fixed at 1/8th.

Just some ideas but I’m afraid you have a bit of a challenge.  Have a look at the 1/10th scale John Wick figure, you might be able to do something with him and he’s not a silly price.

John Wick Figure

David Marks 2
        Participant
          @davidmarks2

Have a search on eBay (or possibly charity shops) for Austin Powers figures which are a nominal 9 inches in height giving you (if my maths is correct) a 6 foot tall figure and the limbs are adjustable. One of my future models, still very much in the planning stage, will be an amphibious vehicle and due to the wheels/tyres available to me works out to be a scale of 1:8 so will just have to get either my wife or daughter to dress Mr Powers an an American G.I.

Dave Reed
          Participant
            @davereed72029

Richard / David, thanks for your input.

Fortunately (and unusually for me) I had the foresight to start looking for a crew before committing any money to buying parts for the project. I’ll keep looking for suitable figures and maybe start a build if I find some.

David, If you want something with a less comical expression than Austin, the best I found so far was Star Trek figures (ebay search “9 Inch star trek figure”). I’d have trouble getting someone to make swimwear for them but it sounds like you have that covered.

Dave.

Nigel Taily 1
            Participant
              @nigeltaily1

I used a dolls house man here:https://www.melodyjane.com/dolls-house-people/dolls-house-men/dolls-house-people-smart-victorian-gentleman-miniature-resin-figure

Look for the Victorian Gentleman.

Then I cut off his right hand and glued it back on with palm facing inwards so that he can grip the wheel.

Lastly I cut the back of his legs off and the bottom of his tail-coat so that he is leaning back against the seat.

Using Fymo clay I made a life jacket and a jaunty sailors cap.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yb50LcA5tPMeuDrqQH9bYfkPa-ak4P1z/view?usp=drive_link

The passenger is from the same series and is “seated lady”

Just add a headscarfe and a lifejacket.

P6161526

Dave Reed
              Participant
                @davereed72029

Hi Nigel, earlier today I ordered a couple of similar scale figures (Man in Hoody and Modern Woman)

https://www.hobbies.co.uk/modern-man-in-hoody-resin-dolls-house-figure-12th-scale-miniatures

Thought I might be able to make something of them. Your boat looks like a Huntsman to me, what scale would that be?

Dave

Richard Simpson
                Participant
                  @richardsimpson88330

Those figures work well if your model looks appropriate as 1/12th scale.  The Borkum is supposed to be 1/10th but it’s close enough for these.  They are defenately a Summer trip though as there’s not a coat in sight on my passengers!

11-04-18-04BorkumPassengers3

Dave Reed
                  Participant
                    @davereed72029

Yes Richard, they look pretty good. I’m putting the 1:8 Huntress on hold for now, considering trying to rescale a 1:16 Huntsman to 1:12 where the figures would be a perfect fit.

By the way, I think your skipper needs a drugs test when he gets back to the dock!

Dave

Nigel Taily 1
                    Participant
                      @nigeltaily1

I can see the Seated Lady from Melody Jane in the “Borkum”

I dont know the scale of my Huntsman. Its a loft find.

The length is 34″ and not the 46 1/2″ version.

For the larger one I simply used Action Man size figures from a charity shop.

Its a Precedent from about 1970 – 80

I would say that the accesories guide was done on a typewriter.

Richard Simpson
                      Participant
                        @richardsimpson88330

She gets around a bit that lady!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)