TYNE Class Lifeboat build

Advert

TYNE Class Lifeboat build

Home Forums Build Blogs TYNE Class Lifeboat build

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 593 total)
  • Author
    neil hp
    Participant
      @neilhp

tonight, I mounted my 2 rudder tubes into a block of obeche, making sure to drill the holes on my pillar drill to make sure they were square true to each other and upright.

I used 2 part epoxy.

I haven't mounted the assembly into the boat as I want to clear all the paint out of the propeller tunnels and sand the tunnels smooth, so that I or my friend, or should I say can paint the boat properly with 2 pack paint.

img_5058.jpg

img_5059.jpg

img_5060.jpg

img_5061.jpg

img_5062.jpg

Advert
      Bob Abell 2
      Participant
        @bobabell2

Hey, Neil

How about a few pictures of the full size craft for reference?

Don't seem to recognise the parts you are making at the moment

Bob

Tim Rowe
        Participant
          @timrowe83142

Interesting trim tab Neil.

Looking forward to seeing how it operates.

Tim R

neil hp
          Participant
            @neilhp
            Posted by Tim Rowe on 31/05/2020 07:02:37:

Interesting trim tab Neil.

Looking forward to seeing how it operates.

Tim R

just like the normal trim tab on any lifeboat Tim……….just different in that the thing is tucked under the boat rather than standing proud. but as Bob asks….here are a couple or so photos of the real boat set up.

img_8121.jpg

img_8123.jpg

img_8190.jpg

william street 5.jpg

Bob Abell 2
            Participant
              @bobabell2

Thank you Neil

Why was this hanging down flap required?

Bob

neil hp
              Participant
                @neilhp
                Posted by Bob Abell on 31/05/2020 13:55:50:

Thank you Neil

Why was this hanging down flap required?

Bob

they have them on almost all fast moving craft, Bob, especially lifeboats.

when on full song racing to a casualty the boats almost get up on the plain, but this gives an uncomfortable very back jolting ride. and so to level the boat up from a bow high profile, the coxs'n lowerres the tab to around a 20 degree angle which levels the ride of the boat out somewhat………and it actually also works to some degree on a model boat too.….

many competition ICE modellers use trim tabs on their racing boats.

the Tyne was an exception with lifeboats as she was the first to actually have trim tab configuration, but her tab was a single tab across the stern.

now a days the modern lifeboats like the Shannon, [picture of my model below] have them more or less at the two extremities of the transom so that on a tight curve to port or starboard the coxs'n can use the trim tabs individually to level out the fast turn., and the tabs are external fittings to all modern lifeboats.

they are not clear shots but the tabs are below the two water jet drive units with the "horn" shaped "buckets" which give the reverse thrust to the jet power…….the tabs are linked by hydraulic rams on the real boats ..on the models linked by aeroplane servo plastic "snakes".

img_5068.jpg

img_5069.jpg

Edited By neil howard-pritchard on 31/05/2020 15:07:03

Bob Abell 2
                Participant
                  @bobabell2

Thanks Neil, sounds a good idea

There was a photo of the Fleetwood Lifeboat on the news today

I tried to "Save it " but it was not possible for some reason

It was not a JPEG

Bob

neil hp
                  Participant
                    @neilhp

yes, she was tasked to a sinking converted fishing boat this morning at around 08.00 hours……

3 persons on board. Two older gents, aged 70 and 71 were plucked from the sea in a distressed state, but one other in his 30's sadly went down with the boat and died at the scene..

Bob Abell 2
                    Participant
                      @bobabell2

Hi Neil

Is this the Lifeboat you are modelling?

Bob

image.jpeg

Tim Rowe
                      Participant
                        @timrowe83142

Hi Bob

The Tyne Class lifeboats have all been withdrawn. Some were then sold to China. Your picture is a later version, faster and with better self-righting properties.

Tim R

Bob Abell 2
                        Participant
                          @bobabell2

OK, thanks Tim

Bob

neil hp
                          Participant
                            @neilhp
                            Posted by Bob Abell on 01/06/2020 10:40:18:

OK, thanks Tim

Bob

Yes Bob, that picture is of a Trent class lifeboat……capable of making 25 knots full speed, whereas the Tyne was quick, but could only make 18 knots.

neil hp
                            Participant
                              @neilhp
                              Posted by Bob Abell on 01/06/2020 10:40:18:

OK, thanks Tim

Bob

having said that, why did the press show a picture of a lifeboat that isn't and never has been associated with Fleetwood.

on her assimilation trials and testing in the early 1990's our Staff coxs'n stationed at Fleetwood brought the FAB4. [fast afloat boat] which was to become the Trent from Dun Loughery in Ireland to Fleetwood for testing…

in transit she was hit by storm force winds, spray rails were lost from the hull, one of her engines was knocked out and the boat nearly broached loosing her radar gear……

she was berthed docks, where she stayed until the chiefs at the RNLI WERE TOLD by our coxs'n what a bag of ******* **** it was and he would keep his Tyne thank you………and Fleetwood never got a Trent.

but our new boat [2016,july] is the latest super lifeboat, the water jet drive 25 + knot Shannon Class lifeboat. and it was our reserve boat 13-07 RNLB REG which is on relief at the station at the moment, that took part in the rescue, I believe. along with our D class rib.

rnlb-reg_0_1099711_large.jpg

41433-port-isaac-d-class-lifeboat-nathan-williams-16x9.jpg

neil hp
                              Participant
                                @neilhp

OMG….WHAT A COCK UP!!!!………I HAVE MADE.

TODAY I thought after 10 weeks of self isolation and only going to the shops twice a week, as necessary, I thought I and my daughter would take a little drive. didn't intend to go anywhere other than a round trip from home to Glasson Dock via our old haunt, Lancaster. we didn't stop anywhere, but at Glasson, I could see the EX RNLB Voluntary Worker still sat on hard standings.

an opportunity I thought to get a few close ups of the trim tab and the hydraulics, and so warily surveyed the surrounding area……absolutely no one around anywhere…..got my camera and walked to the stern…….

they say ignorance is bliss……..IT SURE IS….

GOT TO THE BUM END AND BEGAN CURSEING….oh bummer. or similar

I now found out contrary to all I have been pontificating about that the trim tab is one piece……………..oh!!! poooo……….the Tyne has 2 trim tabs.

spent the rest of the drive home thinking how I was going to make one into two, lol.

so on to ebay this afternoon to find some 1mm sheet brass……and will silver solder 2 [ TWO] NEW trim tabs.

img_5152.jpg

img_5156.jpg

img_5157.jpg

img_5162.jpg

img_5160.jpg

Edited By neil howard-pritchard on 03/06/2020 20:39:25

Tim Rowe
                                Participant
                                  @timrowe83142

That makes a lot more sense Neil

Tim R

ashley needham
                                  Participant
                                    @ashleyneedham69188

Neil. No cockup, mate.

a cockup is when you finish the boat with the wrong trim tabs.

You have you have snatched cockupness from the jaws of severe embarrassment by thorough research…..

Ashley

neil hp
                                    Participant
                                      @neilhp

cheers guys…….appreciate the confidence in me, lol.

neil hp
                                      Participant
                                        @neilhp

yesterday, before I found my mistake in the trim tab I made the sockets and rams for the trimtabs.

made from scrap[ plastic pieces they went together reasonably well with a little trial and error and a lot of patience, including making the small brass hinges to fit. .

img_5096.jpg

img_5101.jpg

img_5105.jpg

img_5108.jpg

img_5109.jpg

img_5115.jpg

img_5128.jpg

img_5132.jpg

img_5133.jpg

Bob Abell 2
                                        Participant
                                          @bobabell2

Nicely made fiddly bits

Bob

neil hp
                                          Participant
                                            @neilhp

img_5169.jpg

img_5177.jpg

img_5178.jpg

img_5181.jpg

neil hp
                                            Participant
                                              @neilhp

the above was my work this afternoon. V

this afternoon I sat down, with some annealed brass wire, some ply wood sheet timber, my trusty point nose pliers, and fashioned the loops for the guard rails for the trim tab rams. marked out the positions for the holes for the loops to be drilled, and inserted the loops.

got my "second hands" and placed the long joining "bar" to the loops, and simply silver soldered the two guards together.

I took each guard, and placed it on the transom, marking the positions for the holes, drilled them and dry fitted to see what they were to look like.

the brackets have been soldered on to the tabs and they have been glued back in place with epoxy.

I then tried the dry fit of the rams and guards…..they fit well, and with a little bit of adjustment will look well I hope.

Bob Abell 2
                                              Participant
                                                @bobabell2

Hi Neil

Will these dampers be operative?

They would be a nice feature to watch on the water

Bob

neil hp
                                                Participant
                                                  @neilhp

oh yes, Bob, they will be working as individual tabs on separate mini servos……

but you wont see the tabs working once the boat is in the water other than by seeing the boats sailing angle differ once they are deployed when reaching full speed, where they will be set on a downward angle….

faster the boat goes the steaper angle downwards they go, until they reach an angle of around 15 – 20 degrees downward angle………no more ore they would cause the boat to slow down dramatically. ……..

you can probably liken them to air breaks or flaps on an aircraft if angle is too great.

neil hp
                                                  Participant
                                                    @neilhp

I measured up and made the mounting "bracket" for the two servos that operate the rams for the two trim tabs.

I then mounted the servos into the bracket with single arm servo links to get the right position for the mounting, and then glued in position with 30 minute 2 part epoxy.

tomorrow I'll set it permanently with a fillet of body filler all around the base of the stand. it might be beafy, but it will not give way at all under operation.

img_5192 (1).jpg

img_5193 (1).jpg

img_5195.jpg

img_5198.jpg

img_5199.jpg

Bob Abell 2
                                                    Participant
                                                      @bobabell2

Looking strong and chunky and made for the job in hand…….Nice

Bob

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 593 total)