HMS Queen Elizabeth carrier

Advert

HMS Queen Elizabeth carrier

Home Forums Static modelling HMS Queen Elizabeth carrier

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    Graham Mcrobert 4
    Participant
      @grahammcrobert4

Does anyone know when plans for Queen Elizabeth carrier be availed at 1/96 scale

Advert
      Graham Mcrobert 4
      Participant
        @grahammcrobert4
        Charles Oates
        Participant
          @charlesoates31738

Blimey, that would make a model nearly 10 feet long and lord knows how heavy. You might have quite a wait for those plans.

Chas

Graham Mcrobert 4
          Participant
            @grahammcrobert4

GrahamCheers chas as I like scratch building has anyone on here got a set of hams lusty plans I could have to to have a go at thanks

ashley needham
            Participant
              @ashleyneedham69188

Graham. I always think that an aircraft carrier is about the aircraft on deck, whatever scale you choose (and a lusty is a bit smaller) you will need suitable planes and for me. this might determine the scale.

Of course, boot space and storage is an issue which is why I chose to build mine a bit smaller than it should be in order not to have to get a van. Aldo to consider is the considerable weight! Mine uses 3x 12v 7Ahr SLA batteries, one 6v SLA AND some lead despite being only 4 feet long. There is a tale to go with the reduced dimensions as well of course but I wont reiterate that.

Ashley

HMS Invincible#1

Edited By ashley needham on 09/12/2017 09:48:17

Graham Mcrobert 4
              Participant
                @grahammcrobert4

Ashley am look for 1/96 scale plans

Graham Mcrobert 4
                Participant
                  @grahammcrobert4

Ashley do you still have the plans am will to pay cash for them

Colin Bishop
                    @colinbishop34627

Graham, that isn't a Queen Elizabeth Ashley has built, it is HMS Illustrious.

Colin

Graham Mcrobert 4
                    Participant
                      @grahammcrobert4

Colin it’s lusty he has built

Colin Bishop
                        @colinbishop34627

Lusty IS HMS Illustrious!

Colin

Graham Mcrobert 4
                        Participant
                          @grahammcrobert4

That’s the one 😂

Graham Mcrobert 4
                          Participant
                            @grahammcrobert4

Colin a question is it possible to carve a hull out of foam block then cover it with thin balsa wood?

Graham Mcrobert 4
                            Participant
                              @grahammcrobert4

Colin I have a question here can you carve a hull out of foam block and cover it with 3/36 blast sheet

Colin Bishop
                                @colinbishop34627

Sorry Graham, I have never used foam myself. Others have though and may be able to advise you.

Colin

Dave Milbourn
                                Participant
                                  @davemilbourn48782

May I intervene here? I have spent most of today, my birthday, trying to make some sense of legal-speak. It has given me much grief and a headache, and I've concluded that it pays to ask a dumb question. Here are two which seem relevant to this thread:

Graham
                                  1. Are you asking Ashley for plans of his model of HMS Illustrious? Y/N
                                  2. Is your question concerning carving a hull from foam and then covering that with 3/16" balsa sheet directly related to a 1/96 scale model of HMS Illustrious? Y/N
                                  and I guess I might as well sling in the obvious one
                                  3. Have you now moved away from questions about making a 1/96 scale model of HMS QE? Y/N

I will now withdraw and leave the floor to you.
                                  Dave M

Graham Mcrobert 4
                                  Participant
                                    @grahammcrobert4

Is it possible to carve a hull out of foam block and cover it with balsa wood for a plug ?

ashley needham
                                    Participant
                                      @ashleyneedham69188

Graham. It is possible to carve a hull out of foam and cover with balsa but depending on how much foam you want to carve out it could be very week. Unfortunately although this would get you a big hull fairly quickly, it would need a lot of ballast and a lot of foam would need cutting out.

Better idea would be to cover the foam in fibreglass/resin. This would produce a strong hull, but would require extensive work on the outside afterwards.

I do not have an Illustrious plan, as the model was developed from the carpet carrier made earlier, and was sized for convenience and as a minimum to get the die cast aircraft to look all right on the deck.

Ashley

Dave Milbourn
                                      Participant
                                        @davemilbourn48782

Graham

Rather than posting almost identical questions with the frequency of a machine gun it might serve you better to read the replies and consider them before reloading. There is a facility to "Ignore Member" on this Forum. Cheerio!

Dave M

Paul T
                                        Participant
                                          @pault84577

Is it possible to carve a hull out of foam block and cover it with balsa wood for a plug ?

Graham

Whilst it is possible to construct a small model hull with a balsa skin over a foam core it is totally impractical to use such a method on a 1/96 scale model as the hull would simply collapse under a combination of its own weight, external pressure and the huge quantity of ballast that will be required.

A model at 1/96 scale has to be designed and constructed in the same way as a full size boat i.e. with a substantial keel and strong frames coupled with a minimum of 12mm thick hull plating.

Paul

Colin Bishop
                                            @colinbishop34627

At Portsmouth today in the RN gift shop they had this model of the Queen Elizabeth for sale in a case. It was actually rather crude – sort of stand well away scale – and the price is £749.

Edit: No, I don't know why it's upside down either, maybe they were trying to empty the water out.

Colin

hms qe model.jpg

Edited By Colin Bishop on 20/12/2017 16:40:29

ashley needham
                                            Participant
                                              @ashleyneedham69188

That's a silly price for something like that. It also seems to have something on the deck….not sure what these are???

Ashley

Colin Bishop
                                                @colinbishop34627

Approximations, I can say no more than that, of jet aircraft and heckleclopters….

Colin

ashley needham
                                                Participant
                                                  @ashleyneedham69188

Hang on…its coming to me….air…air…aircraft!! Yes it is an aircraft carrier and should have aircraft on it! (unless you are a UK MOD minister in which case these details go quite unmissed)

Ashley

Paul T
                                                  Participant
                                                    @pault84577

Ashley

To be fair we should consider the governments point of view and how civil servants think as the Whitehall mandarins provided exactly what the Royal Navy requested…………….the RN never actually asked for aircraft when they ordered the two aircraft carriers.

Paul

p.s. yes 500kg is half a ton and I am head scratching about how to move it.

ashley needham
                                                    Participant
                                                      @ashleyneedham69188

Paul. You will need a purpose built frame and some pneumatic trolley wheels old fruit.

​How about building in "jacking points" to the hull, perhaps under flaps, sockets that could attach to a removable frame? The boat could be trolleyed into the water and then floated off the trolley after the fasteners were undone…

Ashley

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 42 total)