Superglue

Advert

Superglue

Home Forums Static modelling Superglue

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Bob Wilson
    Participant
      @bobwilson59101

Some time ago, I purchased a bottle of Gorilla Glue that claimed it was the “strongest glue every produced.”     Although I found this to be true, it’s sticking powers were amazing, it was useless for my type of model (miniatures) because it frothed up whilst drying and produced unsightly blobs of hard foam.

This morning, I purchased a pack of Gorilla Superglue.    The internet write-up said that it does not foam when drying.   I found this to be true.    Whilst maintaining an incredibly strong bond, there is no foaming or expansion at all as far as I can see.   I have a feeling that Gorilla Superglue will take over from contact adhesives for my miniatures from now on.

Bob

Advert
      Bob Wilson
      Participant
        @bobwilson59101
        neil hp
        Participant
          @neilhp
          bob………..i am allergic to the vapours given off by normal superglues[ cyano acrilate]……..is this a true cyano glue or just a super strong glue, and what sort of vapours does it give off,
          cheers, neil.
          Bob Wilson
          Participant
            @bobwilson59101
            It is cyanoacrylate, but it doesn’t appear particularly strong in odour.   I always have a powerful, but almost silent suction fan (normally used for removing soldering fumes) on my desk, so it sucks and fumes away from me.     I only use tiny spots anyway, so fumes not a problem.
            Bob  

Edited By Bob Wilson on 10/12/2010 20:45:26

neil hp
            Participant
              @neilhp
              cheers bob………i think i’ll try some……..was looking at it in my local hardware store the other day.
              neil.
              Colin Bishop
                @colinbishop34627
                I am also allergic to the non odourless types opf superglue – a minimum of three days’sacute hayfever symptoms – not nice!

For many purposes I find that Deluxe materials Super Phatic is a good substitute. Most of the benefits of superglue and water cleanup.

Colin

Bob Wilson
                Participant
                  @bobwilson59101
                  Another thing that is good about Gorilla is that it came in a two-pack.   Two tubes 3g each, so instead of losing half of it with a bunged up spout, you get a second chance.    Anyway, it does claim an anti-clog nozzle, not that that seems to count for much in other superglues, but we will see.

After it gets light, I will post a picture of my fume-sucker.    It is very effective.

Bob
                  Bob Wilson
                  Participant
                    @bobwilson59101
                    I got this mainly to remove fumes whilst soldering.   That is what it was designed for.    I find it works just as well for glue fumes.    It has a powerful fan in it and the fumes are sucked through a filter on the front.   After a few weeks, the filter becomes greyish in colour.   It should then be unclipped, washed out and put back.   It is calle d “Smoke Absorber!”
                    Bob

Robin Lee
                    Participant
                      @robinlee31938
                      Hi Bob,
                      I am interested in this glue.How does it perform gluing very small diameter wire – 0.1mm tinned copper wire for instance? You have guessed it I am still struggling with my rigging!
                      Robin
                      Bob Wilson
                      Participant
                        @bobwilson59101
                        Hi Robin,
                        I only got it yesterday, but it seems to be a great improvement on using Bond Loc.    When it comes out of the tube, it has the consistency and look of honey.   Absolutely no stringing at all.   It takes about 15 seconds to dry.   On the initial tests I made, it glues 0.1mm wire very well.      The only fault I could find with the original Gorlla glue was that it foamed and expanded, making it no good at all for our sort of thing.    The new Gorilla Sueprglue does not foam at all and I will certainly be putting it to use in the hope that I can stop using Bond Loc.     My main dislike about Bod Loc was the toxic fumes and admitedly, it did string a bit as well.    By using such tiny quanities of Gorilla, I am not aware of any fumes at all.

On their FAQs, if you look at The Difference Between Gorilla Glue and Gorilla Superglue, they state that it does not foam.    This is true and therefore makes it idea.    It is really the strongest glue I have ever come across!

Here is a link to their advert:

Bob

Edited By Bob Wilson on 11/12/2010 12:32:30

Robin Lee
                        Participant
                          @robinlee31938
                          Thanks Bob, I will give it a go. I have found Amazon 2x3grm for £4.10 post free .
                          Robin
                          Bob Wilson
                          Participant
                            @bobwilson59101
                            That is very good.   I paid £4.99 from a local store!
                             Bob
                            Robin Lee
                            Participant
                              @robinlee31938
                              Placed my order with Amazon – thanks for the suggestion.
                              Robin
                              Bob Wilson
                              Participant
                                @bobwilson59101
                                Yesterday, I drilled a hole in a piece of wood and stuck a cocktail stick in it.    I glued a fine piece of wire to the top of the stick with gorilla Superglue.    This morning, I pulled the wire sidways and the stick bent over and broke, but the wire did not come off.   The wire was just glued on with a single spot, it was not wrapped round or anything!

I also took two strips of plasticard, 1/4 inch wide and glued them together with 1/2 inch overlap.   I was unable to break the joint this morning!

Bob
                                Robin Lee
                                Participant
                                  @robinlee31938
                                  That is impressive Bob. The wire, did you do any preparation at all? I know you use enamelled copper wire.
                                  Robin
                                  Bob Wilson
                                  Participant
                                    @bobwilson59101
                                    The wire was fine tinned copper.      I was quite surprised when the stick broke before the joint parted.
                                    I hadn’t pepared the wire in any way, just dipped the end in the glue and propped it up against the vertical stick.
                                    Bob
                                    Robin Lee
                                    Participant
                                      @robinlee31938
                                      Cheers Bob
                                      neil hp
                                      Participant
                                        @neilhp
                                        that looks an interesting bit of kit, bob..where do you buy those from.

colin..   .For many purposes I find that Deluxe materials Super Phatic   

could you tell me a little more about this stuff please….cheers,

neil.
                                        Bob Wilson
                                        Participant
                                          @bobwilson59101
                                          It is a:
                                          aoyue smoke absorber
                                          Not horribly expensive (less than £30) but very effective.    For many years, I wasn’t allergic to anything, but as time goes on, fumes and glue have an annoying effect on me.  
                                          Just stick it in Google and you will come up with loads of them.
                                          Bob 
                                          neil hp
                                          Participant
                                            @neilhp
                                            thanks bob…..much appreciated. neil.
                                            Colin Bishop
                                              @colinbishop34627
                                              Neil,

You will find all the info here: http://www.deluxematerials.com/

Super Phatic is  like a thin PVA Aliphatic type glue but it sets very quickly and is waterproof. It can also be used for other materials, usually when one surface is porous.

Colin
                                              neil hp
                                              Participant
                                                @neilhp
                                                thanks for that colin………i’ll order some of that.
                                                cheers, neil.
                                                neil hp
                                                Participant
                                                  @neilhp
                                                  woooahhh!!!!     just had a look at the site………i’m like a kid in a sweet shop, sad or what.
                                                  cheers.
                                                  Colin Bishop
                                                    @colinbishop34627
                                                    Yes, there’s some very interesting products there plus a guide on what sticks what. I visited their premises a couple of years back to do a trader report for Model Boats – fascinating.

Colin
                                                    neil hp
                                                    Participant
                                                      @neilhp
                                                      bought some of the gorilla glue as a stop gap yesterday……….boy, what super stuff, lol………….no how do i get it off my chair seat, heeellllllpppp. ! lol
                                                    Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 29 total)