Merco 61 engine

Advert

Merco 61 engine

Home Forums Sailing Models Merco 61 engine

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Luke Davies
    Participant
      @lukedavies81584

Help

Advert
      Luke Davies
      Participant
        @lukedavies81584

Hi hope someone can help I have a Marco 61 engine I need serviced /repaired

can anyone tell me who will do it please

thanks

luke

Richard Simpson
        Participant
          @richardsimpson88330

Hi Luke and welcome to the forum. A lot of model boat clubs nowadays do not allow internal combustion engines on their water so a Marco 61 possibly doesn't mean a great deal to a lot of us. Can you give us a little bit more information about the engine and possibly some pictures?

Ray Wood 3
          Participant
            @raywood3

Hi Luke,

Production of the Merco 61 started in 1964 so it's quite long in the tooth, I assume you have the marine version as your on here, not great deal to service on a 2 stroke glow motor except a careful clean and take it to pieces if needed be, be wary of damaging the old gaskets as they would be hard to fine, maybe worth calling Just Engines ? not a massively power full engine but used a lot in the 60's & 70's until the Japanese OS & Enya companies started making much better and more powerful motors, As Richard says not many clubs allow the use of IC boats these days there's nothing quite like the speed, noise and smoke from an ic boat

Regards Ray

Trevor Holloway
            Participant
              @trevorholloway99134

Ray,

We have had speed, noise and pink smoke out of electric boats at Bushey Park, however the latter was not planned !

Ray Wood 3
              Participant
                @raywood3

Hi Trevor,

Yes I too have had a brushless/lipo fire on the water the smell was really bad !! when it drifted in I poured water on it and once it stopped hissing threw it in the nearest bin

My other club, Cygnets at Mote Park Maidstone, do have a lively ic section with Saturday morning practice & races etc

Regards Ray

Trevor Holloway
                Participant
                  @trevorholloway99134

Ray,

It was an ESC belonging to "a well known contributor" after the ingress of some liquid ballast !

Charles Oates
                  Participant
                    @charlesoates31738

Hi Luke, as a first time poster you must be wondering what electric boats have to do with getting engine spares. In the past I ran merco engines and liked them, now days, as far as I know all official sources of spares have dried up. However, with luck there is a way around it. You don't say what the problem is, but for general servicing, join a club where ic engines are run, I'll bet one of the older members can talk you through it, they're not complicated. You might even get someone who'll do it for you. As for getting parts, eg a con rod or whatever, look on ebay. Sometimes an old engine will appear that you can strip for the parts, I've even seen engine parts on there. Your last option is to approach a model engineering club, especially those who run live steam locos. Those guys are highly skilled and might make some of the parts you need,, though castings would be a problem.

Post again saying just what part (s) you are looking for, it's possible someone on this and other forums will have something lying at the bottom of a spares box.

Charles

Ray Wood 3
                    Participant
                      @raywood3

I'm sorry to say I'd like a pound or a Euro for every 1st poster who asked a question and was never heard from again ! I hope this is not the case with Luke btw

But it would be good if people joining the forum had to introduce themselves before posting ??

Regards Ray

Charles Oates
                      Participant
                        @charlesoates31738

Yes Ray, that does happen, but I feel it's better to be positive and encourage interaction with help, and not go off on a tangent. I've never forgotten nearly being put off modeling 60 years ago by one of those ' you don't do it like that' people, but was saved by a really helpful chap who encouraged me. That's what I try and do now..

Please understand, I'm not being critical, of anyone, I just hope we can help Luke with his problem.

Ray Wood 3
                        Participant
                          @raywood3

Hi Charles,

Totally agree on the being helpful to everybody, I guess that's why any of us post. But it's a 2 way street Richard asked for more details as the first reply to the question, then we get side tracked and the subject is diluted

Regards Ray

Richard Simpson
                          Participant
                            @richardsimpson88330
                            Posted by Ray Wood 2 on 01/07/2021 10:06:51:

I'm sorry to say I'd like a pound or a Euro for every 1st poster who asked a question and was never heard from again ! I hope this is not the case with Luke btw

But it would be good if people joining the forum had to introduce themselves before posting ??

Regards Ray

………and that's not just here!

I usually find that by asking a question in the first reply you will quickly find out if the OP is continuing the conversation or has already disappeared.  I think what happens is that the question is asked in a multitude of different places and when they have the answer they want all the others get ignored.  Meanwhile half a dozen members are trying their hardest to come up with constructive replies.

Such is life.

Edited By Richard Simpson on 01/07/2021 13:20:22

Rich Griff 2
                            Participant
                              @richgriff2

Hi Luke, I will be posting an exploded view of a merco 61 marine shortly, a single glow plug model ….

Post a picture of your engine which I presume will be grubby and solid, stuck solid.

Do not force the engine to try and get it to turn, just be patient, I suspect the carb is stuck solid also.

Post a picture….

rich.

Rich Griff 2
                              Participant
                                @richgriff2

For your information, mecoa.com may have some merco parts remaining in stock and show an exploded view of a merco engine.

Luke, post a picture of your engine, the 61 marine, then I will post an exploded view of the merco 61 marine parts diagram.

Over to you….

Ray Wood 3
                                Participant
                                  @raywood3

Hi Rich,

Welcome back !! I think you may have missed the boat on this thread

Regards Ray

Rich Griff 2
                                  Participant
                                    @richgriff2

Lol, yeah, but some folk may be interested other than Luke.

Probably the engine was stuck solid.

Will post the exploded view parts list I have.

Mecoa show an exploded view including the carb.

Interestingly I am in need of a spray bar and needle for a 35 aero if anyone has one ?

Merco call it a jet assembly. Will try and save a copy of the mecoa exploded view but I am limited, no internet pc, all this done by phone and getting the phone to talk to our computer is problematic, age difference.

Has the attitude to the for sale section changed yet ?

I have a couple of boats to sell as I need the space/funds…

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)