Home-made sails

Advert

Home-made sails

Home Forums Sailing Models Home-made sails

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Who Boot
    Participant
      @whoboot

Hi

I want to make my own sails as it will be cheaper than buying off a commercial maker and more fun but I'm unsure as to what material to use. My yacht is going to be a fun model not a racing one thereby I 'm not looking for the most expensive material but a good economical one. I've read of one modeler at least using bin liners, so that's one option. I'm not adverse to buying material made for sail-making as long as it's not too expensive and there are cheaper options available apparently.

Advert
      Who Boot
      Participant
        @whoboot

Sails, sail-making, material

Brian Sweeting 2
        Participant
          @briansweeting2

I Used ripstop nylon for a landyacht sail and it worked fine. Used the wife's sewing machine without breaking it so a result all round.

Bought it off the net and it didn't cost a lot.

Ray Wood 3
          Participant
            @raywood3

wd48.jpgIf your not too worried about how they look ? you maybe sleeping on the answer ? Cotton bed sheets

Commercially made Dacron sails by Nylet are circa £75, not much to have a decent set for your model ??

Regards Ray

Edited By Ray Wood 2 on 18/08/2022 08:25:38

Nigel Northwood
            Participant
              @nigelnorthwood17509

One of my first covid projects, alongside the boats, was to renovate a 60s electric sewing machine. It only sews straight lines, but that's fine by me.

Ripstop is cheap and comes in a variety of colours and is easy to sew if you keep the dull side inside the seam. Sewing specials at aldi and lidl become your go to place.

Old pillow cases work well on vintage pond yachts.

If I've wanted to knock up a set of sails quickly I've used mylar type sheets from a local florists with hemming tape.

Who Boot
              Participant
                @whoboot

Ripstop sounds good but the sewing would be a problem for me as I don't have a sewing machine. My hand sewing is pretty rudimentary and whilst I've done it for work that doesn't have to be either accurate or pretty I wouldn't like to try it out on sails unless I get lessons first.

I found this morning that someone else had asked a similar question to mine earlier and one of the respondents suggested making sails out of the same material as kite making and gave a link to a website http://www.kitebuilder.com, so I will also look at that. I think Mylar is used a lot in kite making, which has been cited in my replies.

Nigel states that Ripstop has one side looking duller than the other and to keep it inside the seam. Does that mean you would recommend folding a sheet of Ripstop to make a sail double-sided?

Also what are people's opinion about the luff edge of the mainsail, should it be wrapped around the mast or not? From observing Ray's model above, Wild Duck, the mainsail appears to be attached to the mast with wires. Personally I prefer it that way but obviously wrapping it around the mast works too.

Nigel Northwood
                Participant
                  @nigelnorthwood17509

No, I've only (double) folded the ripstop to create a tubular seam along the edge. This is useful for sailstays.

Who Boot
                  Participant
                    @whoboot

Hi Nigel, thank you for making that clear. I have a lot to learn about sail making as I'm just starting, but am looking forward to it.

ashley needham
                    Participant
                      @ashleyneedham69188

You can always glue sails together using a fabric adhesive if you don’t want the ultimate in realistic sails. This avoids sewing entirely. Lines can be folded into the edges and additional material let into corners etc. The glue dries clear and is relatively waterproof. “Sewing” can be drawn on using a fine felt top pen.

I believe the racing boys use Mylar (..?) film and simply reinforce the corners etc with tape (or have I got that wrong?)

snap…glued up sail. Not a great work of art, but ok.

Ashley

Triumph Herald#2

Nigel Northwood
                      Participant
                        @nigelnorthwood17509

Re: the luff edge. Wire luff rings are good, especially if you are thinking of reefing the sails.

I use wire wine glass charm rings (silver plated! Posh, eh?) which are very cheap on ebay (compared to luff rings) They are approx 20mm in diameter but are easy to trim to whatever size you need.

Who Boot
                        Participant
                          @whoboot

Thanks for the responses that have come in after my last thread, much appreciated. I'm sure my sails will be held together by glue instead of stitching, and I'll search for the wire wine glass charm rings. I had to read to see what reefing the sails meant and I find that it means basically lowering part of the sail down to reduce its size in accordance with meeting weather conditions. That's another sail option to hold in mind. Thanks for suggesting it.

That's an interesting model you've got Ashley, an amphibious car is it? Does it sail across dry land as well?

ashley needham
                          Participant
                            @ashleyneedham69188

Hi WB. This is a model of James May’s converted Triumph Herald car from the Top Gear TV program a few years ago for one of their water challenges. I also made a Toyboata and a Hovervan to go with it.

Its a rubbish sailer, as one might expect, and needs a stiff breeze to do anything much.

Ashley

Herald and toyboata#2

Triumph Herald

Ian Bell 1
                            Participant
                              @ianbell1

Sailsetc sell Mylar film in various thicknesses of 35/50/75 microns. Cut it with a scalpel blade and fix it together with double sided tape available from stationers. Quite easy once you try it.

Sail Making Materials – Sail related – Products by Category (sailsetc2.com)

Once you get brave, you can try shaped sails. Video by 2 clubmates of mine , who despite appearances, do know what they are up to!

Claudio Gadget Explained – YouTube

neil hp
                              Participant
                                @neilhp
                                Posted by Ray Wood 2 on 18/08/2022 08:24:28:

wd48.jpgIf your not too worried about how they look ? you maybe sleeping on the answer ? Cotton bed sheets

Commercially made Dacron sails by Nylet are circa £75, not much to have a decent set for your model ??

Regards Ray

Edited By Ray Wood 2 on 18/08/2022 08:25:38

hi Ray, is that a model of the yacht that the young lad sailed the world in many years ago……..it appeared as an article in model boas in the 1960's…………….can't remember the name of the boat though………..but as a lad about the same age as the young man who sailed it………a trememdous achievement.

ashley needham
                                Participant
                                  @ashleyneedham69188

Hi Who.

Herald, no it’s water only!

fittings….fishing tackle shops, jewellery making (bead shops) have a number of things that are also useful.

I presume everything was home made, so no commercial fittings? Ray’s suggestion regarding Nylet sails has some merit, but would not look “home made” in keeping with the rest?

It's easy to make wire rings. Wrap wire (I like garden wire) around a bit of tube of the size you want, and then simply clip through with side-cutters.

Ashley

Edited By ashley needham on 08/09/2022 10:54:33

Ray Wood 3
                                  Participant
                                    @raywood3

Hi Neil,

Not sure if a Wild Duck was involved with any epic journeys made over the years, but I believe some ridiculously small craft have made the Atlantic crossing and the Globe ?? must be round the bend I'd fly

I'm enjoying your lifeboat build, ,keep up the good work !!

Regards Ray

Nigel Northwood
                                    Participant
                                      @nigelnorthwood17509

It was a 19' Tucker Caprice called Shrimpy.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)