Fairey Huntress 23

Advert

Fairey Huntress 23

Home Forums Build Blogs Fairey Huntress 23

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 17 posts - 26 through 42 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    Rumration
    Participant
      @rumration

Thanks DM,

I’ve got pollyfiller to hand, so that will suffice for now, rather than buy another pot.

Advert
      Dave Milbourn
      Participant
        @davemilbourn48782

As long as it's the ready-mixed "fine surface" stuff in a tub and not the standard Polyfilla!

DM

Rumration
        Participant
          @rumration

Well here is the latest. I’ve had a couple of difficulties, only to be expected of course. Firstly I find it quite hard to get nice symmetrical curves in the window corners. The way I tried was to drill a hole in each corner then scroll saw into each of the holes. It’s ok but difficult not to see at least one corner where the hole meets the saw line. It took me a long time to get a result that is at least satisfactory. Perhaps there is a better/easier method.

Secondly I found a descrepancy of some part sizes from plan sheet No. 1, which I used as templates to cut the items from, and sheet No. 2, the assembly drawing. This is especially so for the cabin sides, by several mm. It may be just the drawing copies I have, but they are originals from sarik. Not all parts are affected, so you can imagine where the problem manifests itself, when you come to assembly.

Anyway once I realised what was going on, I could resize as necessary to get a correct fit. Of course this has slowed me down somewhat. Otherwise I’m making progress and enjoying the build. Photos to follow when I’m happy everything is ok so far, and the glue has dried.

Dave Milbourn
          Participant
            @davemilbourn48782

I'm not sure if this is the reason for your problem, but the parts drawing for the cabin sides is the correct length. Drawn on the plan in side elevation they appear shorter because they bend quite markedly throughout their length – 'straightened out' flat for cutting they are longer. If you shorten them to match the plan drawing then you may well find they aren't long enough when it comes to fitting the rear coaming and/or front window panel. The bottom edge is also not exactly straight to allow for the inward slope in section and also that pronounced curve in side elevation.

DM

Rumration
            Participant
              @rumration

Ah yes that would explain it. Obvious when you know the answers as always. I haven’t cut them short, so no problem there. Just lineing everything up was difficult. Thanks foe the explanation Dave.

Colin Bishop
                @colinbishop34627

Interpreting drawings can be a bit of a lost art these days but, as with all things, practice makes perfect! There is only one way to learn really and that is to do it.

Generally speaking, drawings produced by well established experts such as Dave are more likely to be accurate than not although errors can sometimes creep in. So if something doesn't seem to fit then that is the time to sit back and have a little think to see if you can identify where the discrepancy is occurring. Curved structures on the plan view are a frequent cause of people being caught out as there is a tendency to look at the plan and elevation separately and not mentally combine them in a 3D view!

Schools used to teach this sort of thing once when technical drawing was still on the curriculum. I was never much good at it myself but I did absorb the basic principles.

I think we have all been here at some stage.

Colin

Rumration
                Participant
                  @rumration

Dave, I need some help please! I can’t for the life of me work out how to hold the stern ends of the sides in to the coamings. In image 23 of the magazine article yours seem to in place without clamps or pins. So what is holding them there?

Otherwise all going well.

Stern2

Dave Milbourn
                  Participant
                    @davemilbourn48782

I pre-curved them in the steam from a kettle so there is actually nothing holding them except their shape. It's easy enough to push a couple of pins vertically down into the deck immediately alongside them to hold them close in to the coaming. There's little tension in thin ply which is only bent a wee bit – it's just that I'm fussy like that! They will need pinning while you add the 3mm ply parts which form the back of the coaming and the seat (Pics 35 & 36).

Dave M

Rumration
                    Participant
                      @rumration

Not sure about the cockpit stern, what attaches to what at the moment, so I have planked the cabin roof. Took me a couple sessions to get this far.

1331.jpeg

1332.jpeg

Rumration
                      Participant
                        @rumration

Sure you’re all wondering what progress I’ve made! Well it will be few weeks as I got fed up with the awful weather so I bought an open ended ticket to Perth, WA. Arrived Friday. So I’m going to warm up here for a few weeks.

I’ll be back.

Chris Fellows
                        Participant
                          @chrisfellows72943

Enjoy your stay Glyn.

I dropped off some friends at the airport yesterday for their flight to Brisbane via Dubai. They are there for a month, 30 degrees at the moment.

I've only been making slow progress on the River Cruiser, though at least I'm making some. Funnily enough one of the problem areas I've had is with that small triangular piece at the bow! Nothing a spot of sanding won't sort.

Chris

Edited By Chris Fellows on 19/03/2018 14:44:29

Dave Milbourn
                          Participant
                            @davemilbourn48782

Chris

That little piece is a swine. You need to think in 3D then all will become clear.

DM

Paul T
                            Participant
                              @pault84577

Dave

It might be helpful for Chris if you could show a progress photo of the area in question?

Paul

"Thinking in 3D" I wish that I had thought of that excuse when designing the Ellie range as it would have saved loads of drawing time.

wink

Edited By Paul T on 19/03/2018 16:21:28

Dave Milbourn
                              Participant
                                @davemilbourn48782

Sorry, Paul, but I don't have one. I shall be building two more models in due course so I'll take a photo if I remember….but that will probably be too late for Chris.
                                Ref your remark about Ellie, you really ought to know better than to stick out your chin that far. Don't forget that I built one from your drawings. It's as well I'm in a good mood.

DM

Paul T
                                Participant
                                  @pault84577

Dave

I remember ………and you made a lovely job of it.

image 11.jpg

Chris Fellows
                                  Participant
                                    @chrisfellows72943

Thanks Dave & Paul

It was ironic that the very thing I pointed out to Glyn i.e. that his stringers were too far in front of the bow then happened to me! Mainly because when working out the size of the triangular piece I forgot that when you cut timber at an angle, rather than 90 degrees, that even with small section timber the dimension is considerably longer.

As said, not a big problem (that's the good thing about working in timber) as I will sand it to line. Just got to glue on the remaining outer stringer and I will be ready to sand the keel and stringers to profile.

Chris

Rumration
                                    Participant
                                      @rumration

Indeed you did Chris.

But I have some logic there, rightly or wrongly, I like to have to much, rather than not enough (of everything!) Learnt from all modelling projects in the past. It’s much easier to remove excess, than to make up a shortage with glued on wood, filler etc.

As you say wasn’t a big deal. Hope you are in the pink. Lots of boats here. Not seen any model ones, or model shops as yet.

Viewing 17 posts - 26 through 42 (of 42 total)