Boat Stand Cushioning

Advert

Boat Stand Cushioning

Home Forums Beginners Boat Stand Cushioning

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Chris Fellows
    Participant
      @chrisfellows72943

A letter in the current magazine reminded me of one in the previous edition regarding using pipe insulation on model boat stands as the cushioning material, that is that there is a possibility of damage to the paintwork due to an interaction between the chemicals used in the foam and the paint.

Mention was made that Dave M had to repaint a hull because of this and when l bought the Huntress off him the stand was cushioned with green felt!

When I made stands for 5 of my boats I bought some self-adhesive black foam which was just the job as it was pliant enough to accommodate the strakes. Whilst I was at it I decided to replace the felt on the Huntress stand as it was a bit thin and green!

The letter was timely, as I'm just painting my hulls and the last thing I want is any chemical damage. The Huntress hull is fine after what must be about 3 years – it was sprayed with Halfords aerosols, but am taking no chances so will replace the foam to the 6 stands.

I've bought a 5m roll of self-adhesive grey felt, 40mm wide which I shall cut down to the width required.

Chris

Felt.jpg

Foam.jpg

Advert
      Chris Fellows
      Participant
        @chrisfellows72943
        Ray Wood 3
        Participant
          @raywood3

Hi Chris,

Yes I read David warning in the magazine about rubber lagging sticking to the paintwork, I'm afraid I have had green felt from a jigsaw roll stick to a couple of my boats, Its a minefield ! probably better to only use the stand for transporting to the lake, not long term storage.

Any other ideas out there ??

Regards Ray

ashley needham
          Participant
            @ashleyneedham69188

Most of mine sit on felt, either felt glued to wood, or felt on crumb foam (upholstery sort of stuff)

Ashley

Colin Bishop
              @colinbishop34627

I fell into this trap myself, a lot of foam materials can react with a painted hull. A long decomissioned model which I originally built in 1984 and keep in a storage box has literally welded itself to the stand.

These days I use film covered draught proofing tape.It is a self adhesive foam but taced with a thin transparent covering which looks like cellophane so the hull is not in direct contact with the tape.

Colin

Tim Cooper
              Participant
                @timcooper90034

I have used Wilkos draught excluder tape on the last few stands I have made. No problem so far. Before that I have used felt glued to the stand

Tim

Chris Fellows
                Participant
                  @chrisfellows72943

Thinking about it Ray I think some of the green felt had stuck to the hull. Maybe because it was thin and it was the sticky layer?

One mistake I did make when transporting another boat I'd bought was laying some non-slip drawer liner over the stand. That really stuck in places and you could still see where it had been once cleaned off so I guess that must have reacted.

I shall use the felt but check it on a regular basis. I'm assuming it should be Ok as felt was the go to material for objects standing on varnished and painted surfaces and is still often used?

Chris

Dave Cooper 6
                  Participant
                    @davecooper6

Hi all,

I've only got my little RAF launch on a stand. The hull was sprayed with a Halford's satin black can onto grey(ish) draught-excluder foam on the stand (can't remember the make now, but, probably nothing special). No problems so far….3-5 years ago.

The Pilot Cutter will be much heavier, so, may require a re-think there.

Compliments of the season to one and all,

Dave C

Richard Simpson
                    Participant
                      @richardsimpson88330

I suspect the biggest challenge comes from the grey tubular type, designed to slide over copper pipes, either central heating or hot and cold water. I can't help but wonder whether there are volatiles remaining in the structure after the foam has been created. I also think that a gloss enamel finish is much more prone to sticking and again I wonder whether volatiles are being given off for a lot longer than would be the case with other paint types.

Just a thought. I also tend to use the foam tape type but usually leave the model for a week or so before placing it on the stand after it has been painted.

David Marks 2
                      Participant
                        @davidmarks2

Volatiles – Not heard that one before but fully understand the meaning. I worked for the MOD and my job was visiting contractors that were undertaking work for MOD and undertaking quality related audits (ISO 9001). Not sure if this practice is still current today, but people used to sport plastic wrist straps in some shocking shade of pink or lime green and a few others to demonstrated that they had supported some charity by giving a sum of money. Two or three contractors that I covered brought my attention to Warning Notices issued by the trade associations to which they belonged regarding this wrist straps. It had been found that the release agent used in their manufacture was still "venting off" and was detrimental to both soldering and processes involving certain adhesives.

Richard Simpson
                        Participant
                          @richardsimpson88330

You've come across VOC's before haven't you?  They are just one category of volatiles.

VOC link

Edited By Richard Simpson on 23/12/2022 23:17:16

David Marks 2
                          Participant
                            @davidmarks2

No not heard that one before but have been retired since 2009. My son is in the motor trade and worked at various garages. There was always a problem when you have a workshop area close to a body shop as some chemicals or the propellants used to apply/distribute them play havoc with the spray painting process. Applying WD40 causing paint to "fish-eye" being a common one.

Colin Bishop
                              @colinbishop34627

That much prized 'new car smell' is a mixture of volatiles from the various plastics. Probably not good for you either.

Colin

Richard Simpson
                              Participant
                                @richardsimpson88330

I think that's the same type of process David. Coincidentally last night I was reading a very interesting book about the creation and make up of the solar system where it described methane and ammonia as volatile compounds. I think I have generally thought of volatiles as chemicals that readily evaporate, such as many solvents.

Chris Fellows
                                Participant
                                  @chrisfellows72943

Just about to try out that new car smell now! Son picked up his first car yesterday and brand new. How times have changed, my first car was an old Minor Traveller bought for my mother to learn to drive in, which she never did so I took it over. It was many years before I bought a brand new car.

Chris

Richard Simpson
                                  Participant
                                    @richardsimpson88330

Eh, Chris, luxury! My first car, not bought until I was almost 30 years old, was a scrapper of an 850 Mini that my brother, working in a garage at the time, 'did up'. This required welding a new floor into it then adding flared arches, a bonnet full of spot lamps, alloy wheels etc. It looked brilliant but still only went like an 850 Mini. About a year later the floor fell out again!

Chris Fellows
                                    Participant
                                      @chrisfellows72943

As was mentioned on the thread on the future of model boating this was one of the ways we picked up skills. I was always messing about with and working on scooters, motorbikes and cars. Had a few of the original Minis over the years, they look so small though now!

Stephen Garrad
                                      Participant
                                        @stephengarrad28964
                                        Posted by Richard Simpson on 24/12/2022 12:03:09:

Eh, Chris, luxury! My first car, not bought until I was almost 30 years old, was a scrapper of an 850 Mini that my brother, working in a garage at the time, 'did up'. This required welding a new floor into it then adding flared arches, a bonnet full of spot lamps, alloy wheels etc. It looked brilliant but still only went like an 850 Mini. About a year later the floor fell out again!

You mean it didn't need a rear sub frame as well!! Posh

Dave Reed
                                        Participant
                                          @davereed72029
                                          Posted by Stephen Garrad on 24/12/2022 21:45:42

You mean it didn't need a rear sub frame as well!! Posh

It always seemed to be the rear subframe that was rotten, the front was protected by all the oil leaks!

But back on subject – I seem to remember a story a while ago about plastic water bottles leaching chemicals into the water. Probably best to avoid any manufactured plastics on long term stands. And in your drinks.

Dave.

Edited By Sinking Feeling on 24/12/2022 22:32:06

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)