Poor quality products.

Advert

Poor quality products.

Home Forums All things floating Poor quality products.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Kevin Beall
    Participant
      @kevinbeall91525
      Advert
      Kevin Beall
      Participant
        @kevinbeall91525

It's been a few years since I had to order parts for a model boat but is it just bad luck or have the quality of items gone down hill?

I've been sent stuff from two different suppliers, both of which do list plenty of boat products, and in both cases I've had to get replacement parts due to poor quality. I've given up on one item as the new one they sent out was just as bad as the original!

I suppose part of the problem is ordering online, due to the loss of so many local shops, means that you can end up with stuff that you would never had bought had you seen it in the flesh.

ashley needham
        Participant
          @ashleyneedham69188

Kev. Spill the beans…what sort of parts? Cast?.metal or resin etc etc

Ash

Kevin Beall
          Participant
            @kevinbeall91525

Don't like to moan…but if you insist.

One propeller shaft that was machined very badly and would bind up regardless of how I fitted it, the replacement was OK, still cheaply made, but OK. Also from the same supplier a universal joint coupling was bored at nearly 5mm for what should have been a 4mm shaft, again replaced OK.

The one I gave up on was a plastic resin searchlight, that was shown in the picture as cast metal base. the plastic base was so fragile that it just broke on assembly, it really was so brittle that it would never last, hence gave up on it.

It's not that the suppliers aren't willing to replace them, more the fact that they supply the parts like this in the first place. I know the market has become very much smaller for these sorts of items but it'll get even smaller if this is the way forward.

moan moan moan…

David Marks 2
            Participant
              @davidmarks2

Kevin – I have been into model boats in a big way since I retired in 2009. Personally, I think that you have been unlucky as since 2009 all I can recall is one example where I asked for a replacement item. This was from a major supplier of model boat items and a 3 blade prop arrived with one blade missing. We all know that most items/components that we buy are manufactured in far away places such as China but to be honest items, tools etc., that I have purchased direct from China I am gobsmacked at what I receive for the money that I have shelled out. How do they do that, for that price? Most of the UK suppliers that model boaters use buy in bulk and when the items arrive do a quick check on a sample basis and accept the batch. If a rogue item is found, then they extend the batch size. Occasionally a rogue item will slip the net but if the supplier undertook a 100% inspection it would be costly, in most cases non productive and the cost would be passed on to us the end user.

Colin Bishop
                @colinbishop34627

It is also the case that some UK manufacturers soldier on with worn out white metal and resin moulds past their sell by date to avoid the cost of remaking them if there isn't much demand for the items in question.

It does seem that 3D printing is now becoming more widespread with no moulds to wear out although quality does depend on the printer and the printing material used.

There is no real excuse for poor quality shafts and tubes and off centre or oversized drilled couplings, the latter are not uncommon unfortunately.

I have been using the commonly available red plastic pulleys with brass hubs for my almost finished paddler and, like Ashley, have found that the hubs are not always drilled or fitted true which makes them eccentric – a bit like us I suppose.

Colin

Richard Simpson
                Participant
                  @richardsimpson88330

I think we have all seen over recent years the slow shift of British supplied items from being made in the UK to being made in China. Sadly, and it seriously grieves me to admit it, we have turned our backs on manufacturing in the UK and put ever more emphasis on generating wealth from financial services. We have now got to the point whereby vendors will simply say that they cannot even get most things from a UK supplier nowadays. I completely agree, however I place the blame firmly with them for forcing the British manufacturers out of business by making a few extra pennies buy buying from China. Of course Chinese goods have always been cheaper, they pay their workers a pittance and have no Health and Safety or HR to push the cost of goods up.

Now we are reaping the benefits of this situation. The Chinese know full well that they now control any market and can dictate prices and quality. Too many British suppliers rely on quality control by sample testing and factoring into the overall cost the fact that some items will require replacing. Basically the customer nowadays is doing the quality control for the vendors. Over the last few years I have had couplings drilled off centre, drill bits with a flat tip, hole punches that hadn't been ground etc.. When you think we used to be one of the strongest manufacturing based economies in the world this is a pretty shameful state of affairs. And despite what some vendors would have you believe this was not inevitable, Germany continue to value manufacturing and engineering and still have an economy mainly based on it.

The problem is of course that it is only really our generation that is bothered about it! Give it a few more years and there will be none of us left to make a fuss about it any more.

ashley needham
                  Participant
                    @ashleyneedham69188

In the current mag, a pair of small props were custom 3-D printed by a third party, from free designs that the chap had re-sized and presumably lacking a printer, sent off to have them printed

3-D printers now are (comparatively) cheap, and if sufficient free download items are available…basic stuff…winches, bollards, anchors, lifeboat/ships boat stuff, then buying and doing it yourself becomes very do-able without being a CAD expert. Might this be the next ‘thing’ rather than buying common fittings from China.

It will of course not replace the excitement of a draw rummage and finding something that’s exactly what’s needed but not a pukka boat bit in the kitchen or lounge etc but there we are.

My come in handy box has all manner of “stuff” in it.

Ashley

Colin Bishop
                      @colinbishop34627

That's nothing Ashley, I've got a whole 'come in handy' workshop which is the back end of my 'come in handy' garage.

Colin

Charles Oates
                      Participant
                        @charlesoates31738

I reckon the come in handy box is the most useful source of bits and bobs I've got. I also bet most of us take old junk appart for all the bits. Recently I discovered that old hard drives are fantastic for Tiny screws, terrific magnets weird shaped whatevers, and even a decent brushless motor!

The other day I stuck one of the magnets on a stick, now I can find all my dropped screws etc without wondering if I'll put my back out crawling on the floor😁

Andy Stone 1
                        Participant
                          @andystone1

At least most postage from China is free, not that I recommend them in any way, I prefer quality every time and don't mind paying for what i get. Not too long ago I ordered a hull for the Hilda 2 Pilot cutter. Postage was quoted at 40 pounds, Ok a bit expensive but i knew what i was getting into so went ahead and placed my order. I had a shock when I was told shortly after that the usual postal service the company used cannot post at the price quoted, and If I wanted to proceed with the purchase the charge would be 80 pounds. I cancelled like anyone would in the circumstance.

What aggrieved me most was that any order posted to a UK address over 100 pounds was free postage

Andy

ashley needham
                          Participant
                            @ashleyneedham69188

I knew Colin would have a bigger “come-in-handy” box than the rest of us….

Charles, you are dead right, we all must salvage bits. I have loads of motors taken from drills and toys that I will never use. It’s difficult to know the power and efficiency of these things, they always seem to be ‘not quite the right size’, and so on.

What I should do is test them all out with some air props and my wattmeter, to see what they are about, power and rev wise….and then give them away!

Ashley

Richard Simpson
                            Participant
                              @richardsimpson88330

Give them a float test Ashley!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)