Tramp steamer & Steel-hulled full-rigger

Advert

Tramp steamer & Steel-hulled full-rigger

Home Forums Scratch build Tramp steamer & Steel-hulled full-rigger

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Bob Wilson
    Participant
      @bobwilson59101

Sunday, 30th January, 2022

Here are the profiles of the small tramp steamer Baron Vernon, of 1929, and the steel full-rigged ship Pass of Balmaha of 1888, that I have just completed, printed together at the same scale. This makes a good comparison between the two distinct types of ship, and should make good subjects for two models.

baron vernon & pass of balmaha copy (large).jpg

Advert
      Bob Wilson
      Participant
        @bobwilson59101
        Bob Wilson
        Participant
          @bobwilson59101

I guess the modern age has grown out of this sort of thing! face 24

Ray Wood 3
          Participant
            @raywood3

Hi Bob,

I actually post far to many updates on here with the Thames Sailing Barge stuff thread and get very little feedback, but keep a record of the views and you see how many folk are having a look, as with your illustrations If it prompts 1 person to build a model it's been worth it

I like the Baron Vernon, I havn't built that layout of steamer before, I'm still detailing Stability when the mood takes me.

All the best Ray

Bob Wilson
            Participant
              @bobwilson59101

I am not all that bothered about feedback, but I do like some active and useful interaction like I get on Facebook, where there is two-way conversations about model shipbuilding. From time to time, I am told that I have got something wrong, and it gives me a chance to correct it But when I put images of my earlier models on that are pretty awful, I do get rather disheartened when they are showered with praise and comments saying they are just as good as the ones I am producing now. It makes me wonder if all the years striving to improve have just been wasted if no-one can tell the difference.

Richard Simpson
              Participant
                @richardsimpson88330

You can tell the difference and surely that is all that matters?

As for interaction there are alternative forums where there is far more interaction but it almost always quickly degenerates into an ego contest where everyone tries to outdo each other with ever more impressive levels of knowledge and experience. I much prefer the quieter, more respectful and more friendly atmosphere on here.

From my own perspective I probably tend to add comments when newer and less experienced members add a post and would benefit from some encouragement rather than the more experienced older hands.

Bob Wilson
                Participant
                  @bobwilson59101

It matters a great deal to me because it makes me feel that I have wasted all those years trying to improve if most people cannot tell the difference. Neither do I like "playing to an empty theater!" If there are no comments, good or bad, I just lose interest and stop posting. Maybe a flaw in my character, but I am stuck with it. Here is one of my early models that I displayed elsewhere trying to encourage people who who kept saying that they "could never do that!" I was trying to show that my early models were nothing to shout about, and it is all a matter of practice if you wish to improve. But now, they are heaping praise on it, one declaring that his best is not as good as my worst!

rhodesia star 1973.jpg

Chris Fellows
                  Participant
                    @chrisfellows72943

Yeah Richard, stop posting on my Fairey builds! Only joking of course.

Bob, it applies to all of us. Unless someone builds something unusual then there isn't that much interaction but as Ray says the views do increase.

I doubt that many will scratch build any Fairey models nowadays when there are kits available, so why I do I bother with build blogs? But there is an element of pleasure in producing them and to remind myself how I did things! Also I like to write, which I used to do quite a bit at work, and so enjoy doing that and keeping my hand in with spelling and grammar, you soon start to forget!

Partly because of the increase of forums on Facebook etc. (some folks use it in preference to the actual forum e.g. Mahem) and I've noticed even in the 4 years since I started modelling that the number of builds and threads has definitely reduced significantly across all the forums I visit, even allowing for the summer/winter fluctuations. Partly because of the reduction in model boat building generally and also for sadder reasons.

Chris

Edited By Chris Fellows on 02/02/2022 14:38:52

Bob Wilson
                    Participant
                      @bobwilson59101

Chris,

It is the lack of simple communication that bothers me as much as anything else. Example: When it became known years ago that I had a lot of small plans, I was continually being asked for copies, that I would usually supply by e-mail, often stopping what I was doing in order to oblige. Only about one in ten even bothered with a simple acknowledgement that they had arrived, or a "thank you" note via e-mail. Consequently, I stopped supplying them.

Another time, I took a private commission to build a model for a four-figure sum. I worked away at it for weeks, keeping my client updated with loads of e-mailed building images. Finally I completed it, and sent all the completed images. No response at all. About three months passed, and I still had heard nothing, and convinced myself that they no longer wanted it, but were too embarrassed to say so. By that time, we had grown quite attached to it and were happy to keep it. Then, without warning: "I will come and collect it in a couple of days!" They did collect it, and were obviously very happy with it, but I would have appreciated it if they had told me the collection was to be delayed by three months, rather than just leaving me in the dark!

When I did private commissions, and sent them out by courier. About 50% of my clients never even bothered to tell me they had arrived safely, and that bothered me very much. Fellow model shipbuilders have also had the same experience, and it really is quite disturbing to have a model that you have put your heart an soul into, just disappear without trace, especially when I always requested that they advise me of its safe (or otherwise) arrival.

I also do a lot of writing, and produce them as downloads for nominal fees. They are seldom acknowledged, but that doesn't matter, because if they do go astray, it is a simple matter to send a duplicate.

But models are different because of the time, thought and effort that go into producing them, and the financial loss to me if they get damaged or lost! Lost several hundred £s on this one!

Bob

9 (large).jpg

Richard Simpson
                      Participant
                        @richardsimpson88330

I think its just a sad reflection on human nature which we are not going to change. People are not generally as considerate as they used to be and, generation after generation seems to get more and more wrapped up in themselves. I find a lot of people nowadays incredibly self centered and selfish but I don't think for a second anything will change. The really sad part is that, if you rely on others to make you feel better about what you produce, you are always going to be disappointed.

I think when you make the step from model making as a hobby to model making as a business then people will view you differently. They see you as simply producing goods for them, the customer, to purchase and it is nothing more than a business arrangement, with thanks and common courtesy's not being required.

Its an odd world sometimes.

Bob Wilson
                        Participant
                          @bobwilson59101

Yes, that is very true, but I long-since gave up taking private commissions and it is only personal collection now, and I only build what I feel like building. When they collect personally, I can see that they are happy with the models, and no further written comments are necessary. My main clients now, are long-standing, and keep coming back for more. I often feel that they look forward to seeing what is available next, as it saves them the problem of choosing something themselves. Especially as I move from sail to steam without any problem and from a few tons to a few thousand tons, and do not have an obsession with any particular type of ship. As long as they are merchants ships built between 1850 and about 1970, I don't mind, but I don't build warboats In my younger days, I gathered loads of plans from various sources, and lots were given to me along the way together with written permission to use them as I wished. Lots of them were in such a bad condition that they were not suitable for publication, but several years ago, I took to re-drawing them myself and find that I get as much, if not more, satisfaction from that as building models.

Here are a recent selection –

fourteen images (large).jpg

Colin Bishop
                            @colinbishop34627

I do agree that many people these days are very careless in their manners and seem unable to put themselves in the shoes of the people they are corresponding with. I do usually find that when I help people out they express their thanks but not always. As Richard says, once money comes into th equation it often puts things on a purely transactional basis.

One bane of the internet and its forums etc. is that a lot of people adopt a consumer mentality and feel that everything should be free and immdediately available with no regard to the time and trouble the 'supplier' may have gone to.

I must confess I do tend to pick and choose which requests I respond to depending on how the person asking comes across.

Colin

Bob Wilson
                            Participant
                              @bobwilson59101

This is an approximate telephone conversation that I had some time ago that amused me more than annoyed me.

Hello Bob, can you do me a favour?

Such as?

Make me 16 rowing boats!

What do you want 16 rowing boats for?

A boat I'm building!

What boat is that?

Titanic!

You mean lifeboats then?

I call them rowing boats!

Why don't you make them yourself?

I don't have time!

Neither do I – sorry!

———

And for a start, he rubbed me up the wrong way by referring to a ship as a "boat!" knowing full well that it annoyed me!sad

Edited By Bob Wilson on 02/02/2022 18:52:32

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)