strangers in your workshop

Advert

strangers in your workshop

Home Forums Soapbox strangers in your workshop

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    neil hp
    Participant
      @neilhp

uninvited guest……preservation

Advert
      neil hp
      Participant
        @neilhp

i am never surprised of what i find in my workshop,,,,

Even my pug poppy makes an appearance through the door now and then, gives a huff of boredom, then a bark as much to say i need some attention and then grunts and snuffles like a piglet, before buggering off again to go back into the garden

so it didn't bother me too much the other night at around 22.30 when she came in snuffling and snorting like a pig as i had my back to the door……..but there was no huff, no bark this time………just snuffling.

so i turned around and got the shock of my life to find i had an invader……..the biggest fattest hedgehog i have seen in years………and as i rushed to collect it before it disappeared into the depths of my workshop probably never to be seen again, i caught it……….with some difficulty mind you as he/she was all for scampering under a bench out of reach………anyway, i collected it in a plastic box and put it out into the garden…….

the moral of the story is…………these beautiful little creatures are at their most active now, eating as much as they can ready for winter hibernation……..

and so please, dont leave your workshop doors open at night for them to entre and get trapped inside……i now close my door whether in or out of the workshop.

img-20210809-wa0000.jpg

Paul T
        Participant
          @pault84577

Hi Neil

I have a couple in my garden wobbling around like over stiffed toilet brushes, they are perfect pets as I don't have to do anything for them.

A couple of nights ago the local tom cat got into the garden and disturbed my pets, have you ever heard a couple of hedgehogs screaming?

I was awoken by this loud noise akin to high pressure steam venting through a safety valve, the wail of a dozen Banshees is nothing in comparison to what a couple of hedgehogs can produce. Worse than rutting Badgers.

Paul

Bob Abell 2
          Participant
            @bobabell2

Neil and Paul

A few years ago, we had quite a few Wildlife visitors in the garden

They came quite often because we fed them on Biscuits and Corn Beef etc

The Foxes also came in the day time too

The first time the Vixen and pup appeared. it was on a bright sunny morning.

They came trotting down the path and stopped.

The Vixen nodded towards some bushes, and the Pup went and hid in them

The Vixen then scoured the garden and came back and barked at the bushes

The Cub reappeared and they both ran round and round the garden, having a jolly time

The Hedgehogs came often for food

They weren`t bothered about the cat and Foxes seeing them

We watched in horror as the Hedgehogs were eating and a Fox appeared!

But nothing happened. They simply ignored each other

Nomad

hogfam.jpg

fox1.jpg

hedgehog and fox in garden.jpg

cat and hedgehog.jpg

mum and pup fox.jpg

neil hp
            Participant
              @neilhp
              Posted by Paul T on 11/08/2021 17:25:44:

Hi Neil

I have a couple in my garden wobbling around like over stiffed toilet brushes, they are perfect pets as I don't have to do anything for them.

A couple of nights ago the local tom cat got into the garden and disturbed my pets, have you ever heard a couple of hedgehogs screaming?

I was awoken by this loud noise akin to high pressure steam venting through a safety valve, the wail of a dozen Banshees is nothing in comparison to what a couple of hedgehogs can produce. Worse than rutting Badgers.

Paul

yes i have mate…..its scary the first time you hear it……but so funny when you know what it is lol.

neil hp
              Participant
                @neilhp

Nature is just so beautiful in its raw state.

my daughter rescued a bumble bee this afternoon from being trodden on as it was walking on the pavement……….she held out her little finger anf ut crawled onto it and sat there until she found some wayside flowers in Poulon and it happily crawled off her finger and onto the flower…….

we should all treasure nature, sadly some spoil it………..

but those shots Bob, are jus beautiful. cheers……….

makes me very happy to see things like that.

Rich Griff 2
                Participant
                  @richgriff2

I had a hedgehog moment a few years ago. I saw this hedgehog waddling down the garden path, under the gate a turn right.

I opened the gate, put my head to ground level and said " and where do you think your going ? " It stopped dead, turned its head towards me…..I though for a split second it was going to talk to me !

It's eyes said it all, it turned its head back and continued to waddle off……

Richard Simpson
                  Participant
                    @richardsimpson88330

Isn't getting close up and personal to wildlife one of those wonderful moments in life! We get small deer, rabbits, hares and pheasants running around us here but one of my most memorable moments was when we came home in the dark from a quiz in the village and decided to take the dogs for five minutes up the road. After a few minutes I turned the torch off and we listened to the racket of birds and animals all talking to each other in the open fields around us. I was amazed at the level of noise.

It helps to restore faith in human nature to hear of so many of us have similar thoughts.

redpmg
                    Participant
                      @redpmg

We have the Cape Francolin here which are the size of large chickens – when you feed them they appear at the same time every day – and if you are a little late they will march into the house demanding food………Bit difficult when you have cats.

A friend started to feed the Francolin and the Guinea Fowl – at first a few – then huge flocks of them appeared – she was using a 200lb sack of feed in a week ! Not sure what happened after she returned to the UK. but it must have been very hard on the birds.

Another welcome visitor here are the various species of tortoise – one was blown under our garage door in a high wind – hardly larger than a matchbox – it does not grow much bigger.

I have had to resort to locking my workroom door as our one cat has learned to stretch up and open unlocked doors – gets a bit awkward when you have a feline visitor in the middle of a session of boat building – especially when they choose to sprawl on the item you have just glued !

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)