Steel barque East African

Advert

Steel barque East African

Home Forums Static modelling Steel barque East African

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Bob Wilson
    Participant
      @bobwilson59101

Completed today, 27th April, 2016. Total building time 64 hours, spread over 36 days.

32 feet to 1 inch. Scratchbuilt. Hull, bread & butter construction. Plating, paper. Masts & spars, brass tube, rod, copper and silver steel. Rigging, including ratlines, fine copper wire. Furled sails, crepe paper.

Bob

east african complete.jpg

Advert
      Bob Wilson
      Participant
        @bobwilson59101
        mike farrell
        Participant
          @mikefarrell21522

Hi Bob Simply put another outstanding model by an artistwinkMichael

Bob Abell 2
          Participant
            @bobabell2

Small question, Robert

The front mast looks as though it is leaning forward

Why is this done?

Lovely model, Bob

Bob

Bob Wilson
            Participant
              @bobwilson59101

Yes, it does look like it's leaning forward, but it isn't, it's leaning back like the other two. Camera lens distortion, I suppose.

Bob

Bob Wilson
              Participant
                @bobwilson59101

Here is another view of it!

Bob

in hand.jpg

Colin Bishop
                  @colinbishop34627

A very attractive subject Bob and you have made an excellent job of it as usual. Did the ship have much of a history do you know?

Colin

Peter Fitness
                  Participant
                    @peterfitness34857

Yet another lovely model from a master of his craft.

Peter.

Bob Wilson
                    Participant
                      @bobwilson59101

Thanks, quite a lot about it if you put "Barque East African" in Google search. Photographs, paintings, newspaper reports of various trials and tribulations over her long life. Most of the time she seemed to be painted grey, but when new, had painted ports as in model. Not exactly a clipper, but a stalwart "workhorse" of the final days of sail.

Bob

Banjoman
                      Participant
                        @banjoman

Bob,

I completely concur with the previous commenters: yet another beautiful model of yet another beautiful subject from your more than capable hands!

/Mattias

Bob Abell 2
                        Participant
                          @bobabell2

Bob…….It would be nice if we could see a few of your club mates ………Warships?

Bob

Bob Wilson
                          Participant
                            @bobwilson59101

dreadnought 2 (large).jpgHere is a destroyer one of them made from "bits of junk" recovered from various skips! Also the battleship Dreadnought, built by the same member, also from bits of junk!

Bob

destroyer (large).jpg

Bob Abell 2
                            Participant
                              @bobabell2

Got to admit it, Bob……..They do look impressive!

Especially, the Dreadnought!

A few more please?

Bob

Bob Wilson
                              Participant
                                @bobwilson59101

Bob

I have started a new thread here in Static Modelling, devoted to North West Model Shipwrights.

Bob

Bob Wilson
                                Participant
                                  @bobwilson59101

For anyone interested in the building of the East African, here is a FREE download link to a 13-page build log of the model: **LINK**

Bob

Bob Wilson
                                  Participant
                                    @bobwilson59101

plans 25%.jpgThe build log download of the East African turned out to be a bit of a "damp squib!" I ran it in six separate installments. The first one was downloaded 8 times, but by the sixth and final one (above), only one person who had downloaded the first one, saw it out to the end. It was viewed a total of 204 times, with 52 downloads, interest trailing off as it progressed! So, for the time being, I have gone back to drawing, and have just started the sail plan of a four-masted barque. In many ways, I am finding this a better occupation than buiding models, as costs are limted to paper and pens. The result is pleasing to the eye, and may be reduced and stored easily. This is my 3rd session on it, I started three days ago. The others are some I did earlier!

Bob

drawing 3.jpg

Edited By Bob Wilson on 06/05/2016 07:57:56

Steve Walker 1
                                    Participant
                                      @stevewalker1

Hello Bob, I'm afraid I might be one of your damp squibbers however, before you lose heart, let me explain.

I am on hols at my daughters and am using my iPad. The instructions warned of potential problems with that so I'm going to wait until I'm home in 2 weeks to complete the download. Hope it will still work.

I think your models are fantastic and I would really like to give one a go. I have already thought about your book but being a native Aberdonian thought I would try to find out what your build regime involved before parting with my pennies! It might also be the case that my hamfists will preclude me from turning my ambition into something other than a shipwreck.

I'm sure I am just one of thousands who greatly admire your models. Thanks. Steve.

Bob Wilson
                                      Participant
                                        @bobwilson59101

Hello Steve,

The biggest obstacle to making them is if you decide beforehand that you can't do it,then there is not really much chance! When I first saw a miniature by Donald McNarry in 1968, I thought "I wonder how he does them, I will make every effort to find out!" I contacted him by letter, and he was good enough to reply, pointing me in the right direction. I went from 8 feet to 1 inch down to 32 feet to 1 inch literally overnight, and found it much cheaper, quicker and easier from the start! I will be leaving the free download online, so it will still be there when you get back. As for the other downloads, the introductory ones with quite a bit of info, and well-illustrated, range from £1.49 each for the simple ones, to £4.99 for the more comprehensive ones and finally £8 for the download version of the printed book.

Take a look at this: **LINK**

It is NOT my site. This man obtained my Steam and Motor Ship download, that contains plans, and all the information to build a miniature of the motor tramp Glenmoor. As you can see, his very first model (Glenmoor) is actually indistinguishable from mine. But we have never met, and the only hand I had in the model was producing the download imparting the knowledge on how to do it!

Bob

Bob Wilson
                                        Participant
                                          @bobwilson59101

Took the East African model to the local Model Shipwrights meeting today. Much to my surprise, two members actually showed considerable interest in it, coming over to look at it closely during the lunch break.

It was the only model there today, so there was no competition!smiley

Bob

Bob Wilson
                                          Participant
                                            @bobwilson59101

The model of HMS Dreadnought on the top of this page has been severely damaged at a model "boat" show!. The builder's other model of HMS Belfast, was knocked off the shelf above by person or persons unknown and landed on top of Dreadnought!angry Belfast was a write-off!face 24

Bob

Edited By Bob Wilson on 17/09/2016 15:53:32

shipwright
                                            Participant
                                              @shipwright

Bob,

Very sad and I can't help feeling some anger that this has happened without anyone having the decency to own up. What scale these ships (ie were they large models) ?

Ian

Bob Wilson
                                              Participant
                                                @bobwilson59101

As you can see, it is quite large. I would say about four feet long and completely scratchbuilt. Belfast was maybe three feet long, but was heavily ballasted as it was R/C, so it landed on top of Dreadnought with great force.

Bob

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)