Stanchions

Advert

Stanchions

Home Forums Soapbox Stanchions

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Steven Houston 1
    Participant
      @stevenhouston1
      Advert
      Steven Houston 1
      Participant
        @stevenhouston1

Hi Guys

Hope someone can help ,I am looking for stantions,in the past I used James lane ,but I have just learned this week that he has passed away ,hope someone out there can help

Steven

Colin Bishop
          @colinbishop34627

Steven,

James Lane had a set of jigs for modifying split pins to make stanchions at variou sizes. These were relatively cheap. Nobody seems to know what happened to them.

You can get stanchions in various sizes easily enough but they cost around 65p each depending on size.

I recently bought some Caldercraft ones from Howes Models:

**LINK**

If you Google Model Boat Stanchions, various other suppliers come up at similar prices.

Colin

Edited By Colin Bishop on 17/05/2022 15:10:26

Richard Simpson
          Participant
            @richardsimpson88330

There is a good range at Cornwall Model Boats as well:

Cornwall Model Boat Link

Colin Bishop
              @colinbishop34627

I think they are all pretty much th same but some trader prices are a bit cheaper than others.

Colin

John W E
              Participant
                @johnwe

Hi there,

Apparently – so the story goes – when our dear friend James Lane passed away – one of his relatives apparently called someone in to clear out his workshop. Not sure if the person who cleared out the workshop was model related – so his jigs could be in the scrap bin. Here's hoping that is not the case and that they have survived. James was one brilliant modeller – I don't know if anyone saw some of his work – he was originally a ship modeller for the shipyards on the Tyne.

As far as stanchions go – I used to use John Haynes' 1:96 stanchions which were fairly thick and nice to use. I believe, although not 100% sure – Fleetscale took over a lot of John's fittings. Quaycraft also do brass etched stanchions. There is also a company called Scale Link Fretcetera – they do brass etched stanchions.

John

neil hp
                Participant
                  @neilhp

i once had a full set of stanchions made for me by James for an Icelandic deep sea steam trawler, that is still in the fishing hall at Fleetwood museum…..

the main stanchions around the focs'l and veranda of the wheel house had the railing "balls" unequally spaced, and he asked me to draw some 1;1 size drawings for him to work on, which i did.

After he had made them he asked if he could keep the jigs and produce them, he was such a gentleman.

my split pin stanchions came back within a couple of weeks, with an apology that he had taken a weekends break from the job………… and they were perfect for the job.

A true gentleman, and his products were super too……..much missed for all sorts of reasons.

And in fact when Frank Hinchliffe was still alive and developing his large trawler St Nectan, he asked me to take my plasticard fittings over for another trawler and in it was a set of James trawler stanchions, and Frank took the measurements of those so he could turn brass ones and then cast his own in white metal….

And as such, there is a little of James genius even in Mountfleet models trawler kits, living on in design work……but he never liked to blow his own trumpet.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)