Scale Questions?

Advert

Scale Questions?

Home Forums Beginners Scale Questions?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Avia Com
    Participant
      @aviacom93695

Hi Guy's,
      I'm just thinking out loud here and wanting thoughts, comments and points of view from other like minded model boaters.
      I've got some lovely original plans, from a couple of model shipyards, that are more than workable and useful to make a couple of really nice modern trawlers that in the current UK fleet.
      My questions are:

What scale do you like to work in best of all and why?
      What scale is best for modern trawlers? (In respect of buying fittings parts, etc)
      Size isnt really an issue (To a point!!!) for me as I have a large workshop and a large vehicle to transport within. Weight within reason isnt an issue either and me and my wife are both reasonably fit so we could 'lift' together.
      I'm thing abount sizing the plans to 1/24th Scale, but it may be possible to got to 1/16th if others could steer me in the right direction, however, I'm just sounding others out really whilst im gathering my research materials together for starting a build of one of the trawlers very soon. It certainly wont be a quick build but by god will it be enjoyable and fufilling when its done.
      The full sized ship is 34m Long, 10.5m Beam and 7.95m Draught. A Twin Rig Shelterdeck Trawler.
      Cheers

Advert
      Avia Com
      Participant
        @aviacom93695
        David Marks 2
        Participant
          @davidmarks2

Many modellers like to add figures (miniature crew) to their models to make the model more realistic and to give a sense of its actual size. Consequently one of the first things that I do when selecting a scale is to see what readymade crew are available. Suppliers such as Cornwall Model Boats supply various ranges from manufacturers such as Graupner and Mountfleet Models also do the larger scale figures such as 1/12, 1/16, 1/24 scales. I think also Macs Mouldings supply trawler crew. The other consideration when choosing a scale is storage i..e. where and how you keep your creation when you want space to built a subsequent model.

ashley needham
          Participant
            @ashleyneedham69188

David has it bang to rights here. Something like a trawler needs a crew, so decide roughly how big a boat you want to build, sort out an approx scale and see what crew persons are availed, adjusting the size of boat to suit.

As to what is the best scale…if you live in a small flat, then about 1/600 would be best, but if you live by the sea, a 1:1 version might suit….

Ashley

Gareth Jones
            Participant
              @garethjones79649

Avia,

I like to work in 1:24 scale as I find its possible to get a lot of detail in the model without getting too fiddley. You might like to look at my Shemarah II build blog and album before making up your mind. You might even be persuaded to build Shemarah. I don't know of another model built to that scale, although a few others were started using the same plans.

https://www.modelboats.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=45819

Gareth

shemarah 456.jpg

Avia Com
              Participant
                @aviacom93695
                Posted by ashley needham on 21/04/2023 14:06:03:

David has it bang to rights here. Something like a trawler needs a crew, so decide roughly how big a boat you want to build, sort out an approx scale and see what crew persons are availed, adjusting the size of boat to suit.

As to what is the best scale…if you live in a small flat, then about 1/600 would be best, but if you live by the sea, a 1:1 version might suit….

Ashley

Ashley,

We have quite a large 4 Bedroom house with only two of us living in it, so space isnt really an issue.

Avia Com
                Participant
                  @aviacom93695
                  Posted by Gareth Jones on 21/04/2023 15:05:43:

Avia,

I like to work in 1:24 scale as I find its possible to get a lot of detail in the model without getting too fiddley. You might like to look at my Shemarah II build blog and album before making up your mind. You might even be persuaded to build Shemarah. I don't know of another model built to that scale, although a few others were started using the same plans.

https://www.modelboats.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=45819

Gareth

shemarah 456.jpg

Gareth,

I have those plans sat right here on my desk right now!

I also have your build log on Shemarah II saved on my laptop, all 33 pages of it!

I have to admit, she is a gorgeous sip and model too. You did wonders with the build of it too!

I wonder, are there any other trawlers that use the same Campbeltown hull as Shemarah II, as I'm looking at doing a different named vessel if I can find one?

Cheers

Richard Simpson
                  Participant
                    @richardsimpson88330

There are also some very nice figures from a supplier called ModelU, who will actually do figures to a bespoke scale if you ask them to. There are standard scales though as well. If you want to travel to meet them in Bristol they will do a scan of you and reproduce a figure of yourself to any scale you need. They also attend shows such as Model railway shows where you can get scans done. Check the website for show attendance.

ModelU trawler figures are here: ModelU trawler crew

They were reviewed in Model Boats Magazine November 2022.

img_0028.jpg

img_0029.jpg

Edited By Richard Simpson on 21/04/2023 23:39:18

Ray Wood 3
                    Participant
                      @raywood3

Hi Avia,

Space may not be an issue ! but at 1 – 24th scale a trawler that's 56" long is going to weigh ITRO 30 – 40 lbs including ballast, so launching and recovery from the lake may pose a problem, some boat clubs have hoists for this purpose.

I would suggest 1 – 32nd scale would be 42" long more suitable and manageable ?

Regards Ray

Dave Cooper 6
                      Participant
                        @davecooper6

Just to add to Ray's post, I have a simple test : Will it fit on the back seat of the car ? (although it's an estate car, I'm sure the rest of the rear space will be full of marine 'clutter&#39.

Getting to the sailing area maybe OK, but you may need assistance if your large transport fails you….just a thought.

As a guide my Pilot Cutter hull is around 42" loa and I'm starting to struggle getting it down from a 6 foot high shelf and it's only part-built (cries of "Weakling" !).

However, if you're young and fit, then happy modelling, well, happy modelling anyway..,

Dave

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)