Plans without hull lines

Advert

Plans without hull lines

Home Forums Scratch build Plans without hull lines

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    don steadman
    Participant
      @donsteadman41164

I have aquired some ship plans which have a scale but no hull lines on them. Is there a given formula to get the hull lines from the plan? Thanks

Advert
      don steadman
      Participant
        @donsteadman41164

Is it possible to build a boat without hull lines?

Chris Fellows
        Participant
          @chrisfellows72943

In a word no, unless anyone else knows better.

If you have a top and side view and there is a chine with fairly straight sides and bottom to the hull it is pretty easy to draw up the bulkheads/frames.

But as you say it is ship plans this probably isn't the case and there will be compound curves to the hull and no easy reference points to pick up.

I had a similar problem with a future build and overcame the issue by finding a boat with a similar hull shape and also studying photographs of the boat and drawing them out until I was happy with the design.

I haven't used one but there are 3D modelling programs e.g. for model aircraft that make this process easier but you do need some idea of the lines.

It would be useful to see the plans.

Chris

Bob Wilson
          Participant
            @bobwilson59101

If you are talking about ship plans, rather than boat plans, they often have the shapes of the lower decks on the general arrangement plan, and a good idea of the lines can be built up from them. I seldom find lines plans for whatever I want to build, but never have any real problems with figuring the shape out from the GA plan of the lower decks.

Bob

east african complete.jpg

arabia out of case (large).jpg

Ray Wood 3
            Participant
              @raywood3

Hi all,

Sadly no further post from Don to give us a clue which ship he has the plans but no lines 😢,

Regards Ray

Bob Wilson
              Participant
                @bobwilson59101

It does help to have the name of the ship!laugh

Bob

trevor hughes
                Participant
                  @trevorhughes84733

Has Anybody got any information on the profile stations on the Vic Smeed plan Hunt class destroyer C60?

The plan from Sarik does not show the positions of the profiles but does show the half profiles.

I want to build L34 HMS Bicester, as I grew up there (Bicester the town not on the ship)

Trevor

Ray Wood 3
                  Participant
                    @raywood3

Hi Trevor,

Vic Smeed was a methodical draghtsman, I'd divide the length of the hull by the number of cross sections you have and post a photo ? to be fair some designs reduce the spacing at the bow and stern as the hull shape gets more interesting, flared, curved etc. Let us know how you get on

Are the sections through the hull positioned on the drawing under the general arrangement side view ?

Regards Ray

Edited By Ray Wood 2 on 16/02/2021 08:30:48

Colin Bishop
                      @colinbishop34627

Yes, I would be very surprised if Vic has shown the half sections but not their positioning.

Colin

trevor hughes
                      Participant
                        @trevorhughes84733

Colin

The trouble is the plan has been copied/scanned into a computer and then Digitally "cleaned". This is why I think there are no station lines for the half sections.

Ray

The sections are in the top righthand corner of the plan.

I think I can get most of the positions by measuring the sections and then from the centre line on the plan. The five midship sections have only minor differences in the bilge curves so spacing them equally should be OK.

But I will do a cad drawing to check that the waterlines don't have any obvious bumps or dips! !.

I know it sounds like I already new the answers but I was hoping to avoid the work if somebody already had a drawing.

Trevor

Ray Wood 3
                        Participant
                          @raywood3

Hi Trevor,

Save the extra time ! splash the cash and buy the drawing from SARIK ? may save in the long run

Unless your building at a different scale ?

Regards Ray

Colin Bishop
                            @colinbishop34627

Your method should work.

Colin

trevor hughes
                            Participant
                              @trevorhughes84733

Ray

I did get the plan from Sarik. That's the one I'm using.

Colin

Thanks to Ray's knowledge of Vic's draughtsmanship I have started to draw the hull lines out. After drawing the side profile of the hull and placed the No.1 and No.11, I then marked all the rest at equal distance spacings and half spacings for 10.5 and 1.5. The deck sheer lines are smooth. And so far the waterlines, deck and diagonals look OK. So everything looks like it will be fine.

Trevor

Colin Bishop
                                @colinbishop34627

Excellent!

Colin

Richard H Dunn
                                Participant
                                  @richardhdunn

If you have some deck plans and the source of the plans is based in Cad You can get pretty close with photos of the underwater as well.
                                  I recently had to build a 3d model of the Super yacht "MY Elements" and had no plans as such but I found deck layout plans of good quality that were from a booking site and by setting those up in a 3d modelling program and fitting the surface to the edges you can get close, its the rise of floor and stern skeg areas that require the photos most of the time.

Here is an example.

https://camperandnicholsons.com/luxury-motor-yacht-for-sale/elements-yachtley-shipyard-turkey-2019

This is where the plans were obtained from.

And after setting up the plans at the correct heights and scales the result was this, its close ,not %100 but good enough for the use I needed.
                                  I realize this involves 3d modelling but if you can do that then it is more possible.

setup process looks like this

setup01.jpg

setup02.jpg

setup03.jpg

The red stations are the derived ones from the plans outlines. which then gets surfaced into this

setup04.jpg

The partially finished result is this..

hull.jpg

hullback.jpg

Edited By Richard H Dunn on 24/05/2021 04:44:39

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)