National Maritime Museum Model Displays

Advert

National Maritime Museum Model Displays

Home Forums Static modelling National Maritime Museum Model Displays

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Colin Bishop
      @colinbishop34627

Some of you will be familiar with the Drachinfel Naval Videos on You Tube which are usually pretty interesting.

He has just posted a new one on the return of modele to the NMM which appears to have had something of a change of heart on its model display policy.

Well worth a look. Skip the promoter plug and start at 1:55.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4t7ZUl4r5X8

Colin

Edited By Colin Bishop on 01/11/2022 17:59:42

Advert
      Colin Bishop
        @colinbishop34627

Change of policy?

Ray Wood 3
        Participant
          @raywood3

Hi Colin,

That is very good news indeed, last time I went to Greenwich there were very few models on display, considering there are 3.000 lovely models in store at Chatham Dockyard !!

Regards Ray

ashley needham
          Participant
            @ashleyneedham69188

Excellent news! I feel a visit coming on.

Ashley

Bob Wilson
            Participant
              @bobwilson59101

My spirits were raised when I read this, but having looked at the video, I was very disappointed – A few battleboats and a dredger — face 24

ashley needham
              Participant
                @ashleyneedham69188

Like you Bob, I was expecting more, but I suppose they were never going to bring back the bulk of the models.

Its difficult to understand the thought process behind removing them all. I am sure they overthink these things and try to go all trendy to please some imagined children and young parents….but what do I know??

It might have been better to re-case the models in non reflective glass, at a slightly low height for easier viewing and the re label them with a less "dry" write up, and then include a few interactive screens near them, like they have at RAF Hendon, where the aircraft do not generally have a small print notice, but screens on which you can find the pane, facts, snaps, video. A much better arrangement.

BUT its easier to dumb-down and then claim some sort of doo goody success and tick a box.

Ashley Grumpy….moi?

Bob Wilson
                Participant
                  @bobwilson59101

It probably costs a lot to get in as well. I always preferred the Liverpool Maritime Museum, but they have also got rid of their ship models. –

Colin Bishop
                    @colinbishop34627

Entry to the NMM is free.

Drachinfel is a naval historian so is unlikely to have flagged up merchant ship models.

The bulk of the model collection remains at Chatham Dockyard where research can be undertaken by appointment.

It is however encouraging to see that the curating mindset appears to be changing although models will never return to their former prominence.

It is unfortunately a truism that there is little public interest in ship models generally, On most of my visits to the Science Museum the magnificent shipping gallery was deserted and it occupied a prime location in the museum.

And of course most ships these days are ugly looking things and don't inspire admiration in the way the ships of the past did.

Horses to water etc.

Colin

Bob Wilson
                    Participant
                      @bobwilson59101

Personally, I have given up "flogging a dead horse!" There is plenty of interest if you know where to find it. But I am self-contained now as far as research goes, and the research that I undertake is primarily for my own benefit and pleasure these days.

Colin Bishop
                        @colinbishop34627

Quite true Bob. One of the benefits of the internet is that it allows us to pursue what have become niche interests and make contact with like minded people.

In the general domain, models have become just one element among many in museum displays which is a step up from banishing them altogether.

Colin

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)