Model shop recommendations?

Advert

Model shop recommendations?

Home Forums Beginners Model shop recommendations?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Andrew Gibbins 1
    Participant
      @andrewgibbins1

Hi folks, I’ve joined to get some advice – I’ve been trying to buy a bundle to get started with a simple boat kit and radio gear, for my granddaughters who really like the ones at our local mode boat lake. I’ve built static models (happy hunter, Sun XXI, Billings nordkap with a mahogany plank – yes an old kit ) but these aren’t suitable for 3 and 6 yr old girls.

I’ve tried the big advertisers and either – they’re closed at weekends ?! or I get an answerphone message saying email sales….

All I want is a shop who I can talk to, who can advise me and I will place a mail order with them. I can’t call in the week as work makes it impossible.

Any recommendations for a good old fashioned shop with customer service would be gratefully received.

Cheers,

Andrew

Advert
      Andrew Gibbins 1
      Participant
        @andrewgibbins1

Help seeking a shop that offers purchase advice as well

Colin Bishop
          @colinbishop34627

Hi Andrew,

Howes Models sell 'ready to go bundles of a kit and the items needed to get it on the water.

**LINK**

You will need to supply your own paint and glue etc.

Colin

Edited By Colin Bishop on 14/05/2023 18:45:04

Stephen Garrad
          Participant
            @stephengarrad28964

Hi Andrew,

Where are you? The chaps in the Model Shop in Gloucester are very helpful.

Stephen

David Marks 2
            Participant
              @davidmarks2

Andrew – You mentioned your local boating pond so have you tried asking those that use the pond. If it is a club that use it they are normally very helpful. Sadly model shops are getting less and less, so anything recommended to you will (most likely) need to be purchased on line.

Richard Simpson
              Participant
                @richardsimpson88330

I would get hold of a copy of Model Boats Magazine and go through the adverts. Howes is probably one of the best for putting a bundle together but there is also Cornwall Model boats and then plenty of suppliers who offer more specific products and advice to help you put the bits and pieces together.

I'm afraid the good old shop you can talk to have been fast disappearing over recent years to the point that there are very few left.

Interestingly though today I have spent the day at the Kirklees Model Boat Club steam day where my niece and her family joined us. She has a 9 year old son and I put together a quick build model of a pusher tug from a magazine plan for him. It is kitted out with the most basic of electronics, small battery, brushed 380 motor, speed controller and a Howes 2.4 Ghz radio set from Howes which entertained him for well over an hour or so. I stuck a couple of Mario figures on it as he is into them and he was over the moon with it. The point is you can cobble the bits together very easily and put together a magazine plan quickly and cheaply to give your granddaughter something suitable to play with. The help you need is available here.

Richard Simpson
                Participant
                  @richardsimpson88330

I would get hold of a copy of Model Boats Magazine and go through the adverts. Howes is probably one of the best for putting a bundle together but there is also Cornwall Model boats and then plenty of suppliers who offer more specific products and advice to help you put the bits and pieces together.

I'm afraid the good old shop you can talk to have been fast disappearing over recent years to the point that there are very few left.

Interestingly though today I have spent the day at the Kirklees Model Boat Club steam day where my niece and her family joined us. She has a 9 year old son and I put together a quick build model of a pusher tug from a magazine plan for him. It is kitted out with the most basic of electronics, small battery, brushed 380 motor, speed controller and a Howes 2.4 Ghz radio set from Howes which entertained him for well over an hour or so. I stuck a couple of Mario figures on it as he is into them and he was over the moon with it. The point is you can cobble the bits together very easily and put together a magazine plan quickly and cheaply to give your granddaughter something suitable to play with. The help you need is available here.

Andrew Gibbins 1
                  Participant
                    @andrewgibbins1

Thanks everyone very much. I must admit I hadn’t thought about the magazine plans. Years ago unused to build my RC gliders this way as they were often eat and cheap.
                    I’ll have a chat with the folks at the lake and I’m just south of Bristol so the Gloucester shop sounds promising too.
                    appreciate the support, whatever I end up with I’ll stick a picture on here.

Thanks for all your responses.

Cheers

Andrew

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)