Model Boats July 2023 Digital Plan Now A4(?) Tiled

Advert

Model Boats July 2023 Digital Plan Now A4(?) Tiled

Home Forums All things floating Model Boats July 2023 Digital Plan Now A4(?) Tiled

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Chris E
    Participant
      @chrise
      Advert
      Chris E
      Participant
        @chrise

It has probably been announced elsewhere but the Spookoiny plan attached to the July 2023 digital issue is tiled to be printed on A4(?) paper. This removes the previous problem of knowing the size of the model (Glynn actually gives the size in the text) and lets digital subscribers build the model. Hopefully this is now the policy for all future plans.

Thank you Lindsey.

David Marks 2
        Participant
          @davidmarks2

I am currently tidying up a package i.e plan, build notes and 25 images to go to MB as a free/pull out plan feature. From previous entries on here, and to keep the "digital" people happy I have on the plan defined the Length O/A and Beam dimensions for the model AND a Calibration Scale with 50mm increments at on both axis of the plan. Is that sufficient data or is anything else required?

Chris E
          Participant
            @chrise

That sounds great.

The original problem was that whatever size the model actually was the digital plans came the same size (A4). As was pointed out there is a scale along the top edge of the plan but on larger models the quality of the plan made it difficult to read and virtually impossible to scale measure the parts.

The inclusion of tiled plans has removed many of the problems although to see exactly what is going on you still need to print the plan and sort out overlaps (which vary depending on the model) if you need to find out the model size.  I spend a happy few minutes electronically trimming & joining the pages to get the overall effect if I like the look of the model. This really isn't a problem and gives me the best of both worlds and I can see the whole model and the combined page plan has great detail because it has so many pixels + if I want to do so I can physically print the plan full size. Having said that being told the overall size is still very useful as you just don't get the sense of scale looking at a digital plan on a computer which just knowing that is say a 30in model gives you.

What you are suggesting is really good & useful. It should enable digital readers to see exactly what they are looking at and enjoy your model more fully & easily.

Thank you for your effort.

PS Any hint on the model?

Edited By Chris E on 18/08/2023 14:24:26

Chris E
            Participant
              @chrise

I have just had a look at the September plan to see how long it took me to combine the pages, and remove all the overlaps, into a 2 sheet plan and the answer was less than 10 minutes which I am quite happy with as I end up with both a detailed plan for perusal and printing + an overall plans to get a feeling for the model.

The only obvious improvement that I could make involves the scales. Why are they only 3in and 50mm long? Everything becomes an exercise in scaling and the larger the multiple the larger the size of the inevtiable error. Easy with dividers if you print it but very hard on the computer screen.

I notice that neither the plan nor article for "Lake Skimmer" give overall dimensions. Such a pity.

Edited By Chris E on 18/08/2023 15:13:11

David Marks 2
              Participant
                @davidmarks2

Any hint of the model? No, but a lovely looking model which maneuvers very well.

I have included three Calibration Scales i.e. O/A Length, Beam and O/A Height. The latter is not something that is normally quoted on plans in the magazine but if it helps I will also quote the measurement for O/A Height, both on the Plan and within the build notes.

Chris E
                Participant
                  @chrise

I have suggested to Lindsey that they extend the scales that you find on each corner of published plans. 50mm is too small to be really useful.

The length & beam is sufficient for me. Overall height can be rather less identifiable where various bits extend skywards. Other may, of course, disagree.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)