J-Class

Advert

J-Class

Home Forums Sailing Models J-Class

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Dave Gidman
    Participant
      @davegidman45520

Hi Ladies and Gents,

I’m sort of a beginner but have built a one metre racing yacht and a Vic Smeed Starlet from scratch, both sailing, and are lovely boats thanks to info gleaned from here.
      Anyway I really, really, want to build a J-class. I’ve downloaded the formers for a 1/28 scale ‘Enterprise’ and am about to construct the hull building board. The hull will be approx 1.3m apparently and made from balsa strips, fiberglass cloth and epoxy (if I attempt it). Any info anyone can give me would be fantastic. Building materials, websites to look at etc. I’m planning this as a long term project as I haven’t got a clue. I can blag my way through building the hull I suspect but up to now haven’t a scooby’s where to go from there. I realise this post is a bit sketchy but that’s how I roll!! Thanks in advance

Advert
      Dave Gidman
      Participant
        @davegidman45520

Info

Tim Rowe
        Participant
          @timrowe83142

I have seen your posts Dave

Not too much of a beginner methinks!

Watching with interest. Traditional J Class boats had big rigs, long overhangs and long deep keeps. Can you give some info on the design.

Tim R

Dave Gidman
          Participant
            @davegidman45520

I’m not too experienced Tim, as I say I can blag my way through most things. Google is my best friend!!! That, and I love sanding!
            The website I got it from gives a lot of details about the boat but I think they were using the hull as a mould to make a fibreglass hull from so it doesn’t go into detail about the the rest of the construction, rudder, sail control etc. There’s a zip file containing all the frames as pdf files that print out the correct size, so that’s what I’ve done. From what I can gather there’s two hull types. A Nottingham with lead ballast inside the keel (which this is) and a Canterbury with a lead keel that bolts up to the bottom of the boat. There’s a decent frame mounting plan and a sail plan, all of which an experienced boat builder would understand but it’ll take me a while to get my head round. It was a guy called ‘Claudio’ that did the frame plans in A4 with Coreldraw apparently (on Rcsailing.net from 2010) I plan on planking the hull and then covering with fibreglass and epoxy, I don’t really understand why they’re going to the trouble of making a female mould from the hull, but hey. If nothing else I’ll end up with a nice looking hull then I’ll come up with a plan for everything else.first thing is to find some 3mm balsa sheet 1.5m long if that’s possible.

Ray Wood 3
            Participant
              @raywood3

Hi Dave,

The J class yachts were available as kits with grp hulls for a while but not advertised for a. while. 3mm balsa is rather thin for planking a boat that big !

Regards Ray

Chris Fellows
              Participant
                @chrisfellows72943

http://www.jclasshulls.co.uk/

This is an interesting site which Dave has probably found already. It hasn't been updated since 2015 (though there were long gaps before) so I don't know if Alan is still involved or whether the site is now defunct. Useful for information though and particularly as it has build manuals which will be very useful even if you are building the hull yourself, as you are Dave.

Chris

Edited By Chris Fellows on 20/10/2019 13:15:38

Dave Gidman
                Participant
                  @davegidman45520

Thanks Chris, yes I’ve been there and downloaded a Nottingham 90 build manual but as you say they base them on a grp hull. I’m planning on reading it this week.

Ray, 3mm balsa planking for the hull should be fine once fiberglassed etc I’m also planning to leave the formers/shadows in, cutting them back and leaving three whole to support the deck. (Sorry I’m not so good with the technical terms) I built my US1M the same way but took all the formers out. That’s the plan upto now anyway.
                  Just got back from B&Q with bits for my hull building board. I’m using the kitchen table at the min but swmbo will get hacked off pretty soon and I haven’t a clue where it’ll go, it’s massive!!

Dave Gidman
                  Participant
                    @davegidman45520

Sorry Ray, you’re right 3mm is a bit narrow for such a large hull, don’t know what I was thinking.

I’ve now finished the hull building board and formers/shadows etc. I’ve just committed myself to building two more Starlets and I’ve got my eye on a footy kit to try so my year is planned out! Oh, and a kitchen to fit to keep the wife happy. All the best to everyone reading this.

Ray Wood 3
                    Participant
                      @raywood3

Hi Dave,

Glad your progressing with the J class, some pictures would be great to see, multi projects on the go is good so when you get fed up with one you can switch 😀 My only advice on the kitchen is get somebody else to do it !!

Regards Ray

Martin Field 1
                      Participant
                        @martinfield1

I was speaking to Alan at Jclass hulls only last week over ideas for ballasting my plank-on-edge cutter, Vanity. He was very quick to respond and helpful, so I think you can be quite sure the website is still very current.

I wish I has space for one of his hulls!

Martin

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)