Hylton

Advert

Hylton

Home Forums Static modelling Hylton

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Bob Wilson
    Participant
      @bobwilson59101

Another one completed – motor tramp Hylton – 1937 – 1941 – 32 feet to 1 inch. Sea painted yesterday by my wife. I completed the model this morning ( 31st October, 2021).

hylton (medium).jpg

Advert
      Bob Wilson
      Participant
        @bobwilson59101
        Bob Wilson
        Participant
          @bobwilson59101

Another "damp squib" as far as fellow ship-modellers are concerned, but I am pleased to say that it sold very quickly, and is currently waiting collection by one of our regulars.

The biscuits you nibble, and the joints that you carve,

They are brought to you daily, by all us big steamers,

And if anything hinders our coming, you'll starve –

Kipling

Richard Simpson
          Participant
            @richardsimpson88330

Why a "damp squib" Bob, I'm not sure what you mean?

Where do you sell your models, I didn't even realise that they were for sale, I thought you just made them for yourself.

Bob Wilson
            Participant
              @bobwilson59101

I judge them by the response on model shipbuilding sites. If there is no comment, I take it that there is not much interest, and they go into the "damp squib" category. When I take them to the local model ship society, eyes tend to glaze over, and they rarely get more than a casual glance, or maybe an occasional "that's nice!" But on the other hand, as far as collectors are concerned, they are all in great demand. You may have noticed that I never advertise them, or even say they are for sale. I am always getting asked "what is available," and when anything is, I state the price and they usually sell. I never send them out by courier any more because of increasing amounts of damage. Someone will be crossing the Atlantic shortly to collect Hylton, Fort Amherst, Miss Morris and County of Roxburgh At the moment, Gorsefield and Olivebank are not for sale, as we like to enjoy them ourselves for a while before letting them go, The fact that I choose obscure or semi-obscure subjects makes them more valuable in the eyes of collectors. We couldn't possibly keep them all, because in the last 30 years, I have completed over 250 of them.

Kits rule the roost these days as far as most model shipbuilders are concerned, which I think is great, because it leaves the field wide open for me. and others like me I have always preferred the "rank and file" to the well-known in all respects. After serving in some of the finest passenger liners in the world (the Union Castle Mail Steamship Co) I was eventually very happy to settle down in the ramshackle RMS St Helena where I spent the happiest years of my long sea career in (11 years in one ship) She was 16 years old when I joined, and 27 years old when I left (because they sold her). We carried 76 passengers and general cargo to and from the UK and South Africa via the Canaries, Ascension and St Helena – wonderful years! I was never particularly cursed by ambition, and was lucky to have found a lowly niche.in the St Helena (See image) – Bob

rms st helena.jpg

Richard Simpson
              Participant
                @richardsimpson88330

I guess the proof of the pudding has to be in the fact that it sold quickly. I have found over the years that there is frequently not a great deal of response to build threads on forums and have come to accept it that the subject matter is probably more specific than the builder realises and there is not more than a passing interest in the readers. It would be much more interesting to see face to face reactions at a club night though.

Obviously the word of mouth process works well enough if someone is coming over from the States to pick some up. I hadn't actually realised that there were collectors of such models and had simply assumed that most buyers would want a particular model for some personal reason such as a family connection with a serving crewmember etc. For me, although I find the ships of the 50s and 60s to be amongst the most attractive with perhaps some of the 70s with their large flared bows and more pronounced sheer, I still have a great fondness for the ships that either I actually sailed on or perhaps my Father did. In my own case container ships, gas tankers, bulk carriers and modern cruise ships will never be accused of being good looking but, as with you, some of them hold very fond memories for me.

Bob Wilson
                Participant
                  @bobwilson59101

Here is an interesting site, the American Marine Gallery – **LINK** I have never had a model ship there, and have never dealt with them in any way, but I have communicated via e-mail with Mr Wall, and found him very enthusiastic and knowledgable. My models have never reached that league, I consider myself the "poor man's ship modeller." The Marine Gallery models sell for thousands, where I am more than content with hundreds.

I used to take a new model each month to the local ship society in Preston, Lancs, but the interst was minimal, and very few even came over for a closer look at lunch time. Although a small number of members approached me privately later, and purchased models off me over the years – but the majority were just not interested. Eventually, I stopped taking them, and nowadays just take a ten by eight photograph of them and pass it round, very few show any interest.

The demand from collectors became so great that I became overwhelmed and in 2000 had 24 models on order. When they were complete, I called a halt, and from then on, tried building only what I felt like building. This immediately gave rise to "If you ever think of building ……. – I will buy it!" But that was only a way of getting a private commission under another name, and a waiting list soon built up again. I then put my foot down, and did not take the bait. Even by insisting on personal collection the demand has not really fallen much, but it has become manageable. The four models mentioned above are not going to the US, but to Panama.

I am often asked to build large ones, but that is beyond my patience and ability – I like to build quickly. Because I sell them, I was once branded as "someone who knows the cost of everything, and the value of nothing!" But working for a living seems to me an honourable thing to do, since I quit the "rat race" in late 1992 at the age of 48 after 31 years at sea to become self-employed at writing and ship model building. Having landed on the brand new passenger liner RMS St Helena, I found the pressures of work rather too demanding, and after two years, was pleased to accept voluntary redundancy. Since then, I can indulge myself by living in the past with model ships and writing of an earlier, and less stressful era.

I know that this brings me into the "eccentric" class, but we fudge along very well (wife and I) on less than the minimum wage and our pensions. My wife paints the seas for all the applicable models –

Bob

admirable 1.jpg

Edited By Bob Wilson on 04/11/2021 08:16:23

Richard Simpson
                  Participant
                    @richardsimpson88330

What an interesting story Bob, thanks for sharing it.

Just to share an example of my own thinking, in my later years as a Chief Engineer on cruise ships I have to admit my compensation was very generous. At the time our opinions were bing canvassed as regards whether we should change from a 12 week on 8 week off rotation to a 10 week on and 10 week off rotation. As we were only paid while on the ship the maths dictated that we would loose around 17% salary however the company agreed to meet us half way so we would only loose 8.5%. Against this also on the table was a pay rise of a few percent.

When I was asked for my thoughts I basically said that more money in our pockets would only allow us to buy more things and we were all already able to buy anything we wanted. Spending more time at home however was a great improvement to my quality of life and I considered was well worth 8.5%. I have always been surprised at those who resisted it stating that they couldn't afford to loose the money. I understand that the money plays an important part in the quality of life but I don't think it is as important as many seem to think it is. I've always thought that the ultimate aim in life would have to be earning enough money to live to a standard that you are happy with by doing something you love doing. I feel in a distinct minority though!

Edited By Richard Simpson on 04/11/2021 10:33:49

Bob Wilson
                    Participant
                      @bobwilson59101

Yes, I would agree with all that. We were lucky having had one on, one off voyages since I joined the old St Helena in 1979 and left the new one in late 1992. We got paid all the time, at sea or on leave, and joined in Avonmouth and left in Avonmouth, so none of the flying that I hated. In late 1992, they made the whole lot of us redundant from captain down, and offered us our jobs back at a 30% reduction, so I just took the money and left. Here is the final departure of RMS St Helena from the island in 2018 – The actual sailing is 4 minutes into the video, and is very impressive. **LINK** The ship carried 136 passengers in one class, the old one carried 76. One round voyage was about two months duration.

I really enjoyed my last voyage, as I knew it would soon all be over – But I much preferred the old ship – Bob

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)