Hobbies Annual 1941 – HMS Exeter

Advert

Hobbies Annual 1941 – HMS Exeter

Home Forums Collectors’ corner Hobbies Annual 1941 – HMS Exeter

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Ian Jopson
    Participant
      @ianjopson21383

A bit of a long shot, I know, but does anyone have a copy of the Hobbies Annual of 1941 containing instructions for building their model of HMS Exeter (free plan with that year)?

I have the plan, but need the instructions for clarification in some places, and would gladly pay costs of copying.

Thanks,

ij

Advert
      Ian Jopson
      Participant
        @ianjopson21383
        Charles Oates
        Participant
          @charlesoates31738

Wow, that is a long shot. Why not tell us what needs clarification and we’ll try to help.

Ian Jopson
          Participant
            @ianjopson21383

I know it's expecting a bit much, but stranger things have happened. I'm just finishing of their HMS Hood of plan, which was in the 1940 annual, and I've been posting on Model Boat Mayhem, trying to stick closely to original wartime methods, and fancied doing the Exeter next, but refining and updating it quite a bit.

The plan is basic, with superstructure, etc., just blocked in, and I want to go for a better representation. I know I'll never reach the heights shown on the net, but it will be all mine! I also want to turn it into a full hull motorised and r/cmodel.

Apart from spending some time on the net, I have an Airfix kit as reference, and am getting a paper model from Marcle to help out. Any other information sources would be helpful.

I'll try get a picture of the plan up on here, then you'll see the challenge.

Ian

Ian Jopson
            Participant
              @ianjopson21383

hobbies plan.jpg

here's the photo, after an hour of playing about and feeling my way with a new system. Why can't all forums operate in the same way? It would make things far easier for us poor no-nothings.

Anyway, this shows what I am up against.

Bob Abell 2
              Participant
                @bobabell2

That's a sight for sore eyes, Ian

i used to make a lot of Hobbies kits……All cut out by a hand held fretsaw

Your model looks like a waterline version

Fancy producing kits like this during wartime?

All the best

Bob

Ian Jopson
                Participant
                  @ianjopson21383

I agree that it must have been a devil during wartime, sourcing the wood, metal rod, glue,etc., I found doing the Hood with a basic toolkit and what scraps I had in the shed a challenge.

The plan is for a waterline model, but Hobbies did give instructions in one of their weekly issues for turning it into a floating model …A suggestion for ballasting was to hammer a strip of lead from electrical cabling flat then nail it on

" An alternative is to bore holes at various points and fill them with lead shot "

Looks like a fun job for the winter.

John W E
                  Participant
                    @johnwe

hi ya Ian

if you go onto Mayhem and have a look on the warship section you will see someone has built HMS Exeter 1939 period – just afore the Battle of the River Plate. Ive had a good look at your plans, I copied them and enlarged them.

I can recognise a good bit of the plans and where they go – but – what I cannot see – is information with regard to the V aeroplane catapult – maybe that was part of the information which was contained in the book.

The other thing – your Airfix models of HMS Exeter – is it the KitMaster one? or the Frog one?

If so, this kit is of HMS Exeter after she was modified and had a major refit after Battle of The River Plate and this is different to the plans that you have. The closest model I know if, of HMS Exeter prior to her refit is the old Matchbox model.

Now, for my next question – when you say you are going to RC it – are you going to build the hull similar to the way you built HMS Hood's hull?

Because – I was thinking it may benefit you to build the hull similar to the way Glynn Guest builds his hulls. Have a look at HMS Penelope – there is a build of that on Mayhem as well. That was made from bits of scrap balsa.

aye

john

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,33734.0.html

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,31396.0.html

Edited By bluebird on 24/06/2014 16:54:32

Edited By bluebird on 24/06/2014 16:55:29

Edited By bluebird on 24/06/2014 16:57:52

Edited By bluebird on 24/06/2014 16:59:49

Ian Jopson
                    Participant
                      @ianjopson21383

I think it was the Mayhem build that persuaded me to make my own feeble attempt. I've got the thread bookmarked and will be referring to it regularly (probably 'borrowing' a few ideas) . I am nowhere near that capable, but I shall do the best I can. Planning is in the early stages yet, I only dug the plan out last weekend.

The catapult seems to be parts 34/35/36 (circular parts on the right of the plan and the rectangular part next door) fitting on top of the superstructure part 7. All the parts are very basic blocks, and offer large scope for refining and detail.

My kit is the old Frog one, that I've pulled from the stash in the shed. I'll only be using it as a guide, not a detailed reference.

I had intended following the plans hull method, making the full hull in a similar mode to that of the Hood. I seem to have plenty of balsa lying about, and notice a couple of planks even have pre-decimal price marked! so that's not a problem. Perhaps the next project will be done that way – I've also got waterline plans for Nelson, Warspite, KGV and Vanguard from the same source so one of those might make the list.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)