Freelance Pusher Tug

Advert

Freelance Pusher Tug

Home Forums Scratch build Freelance Pusher Tug

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Peter Fitness
    Participant
      @peterfitness34857
      My 3 youngest grandsons, who live in Sydney, asked me to build them a rescue boat in case their other boat failed mid stream. I decided that a pusher tug was the answer, as I have a bigger one of that type which is used as a club rescue vessel.

The boys’ boat needed to be fairly simple, with only basic detail, to avoid the risk of damage by small fingers. I also wanted to keep the mechanical side simple, too, so I opted for a single prop with a Kort nozzle, and a decent size rudder for good control. My own pusher has 2 motors and props with “tank” steering, but I thought that setup may be a bit too challenging for the younger members.

The boat was not built from a plan, but “out of my head”, just making it up as I went along The hull has 12mm pine sides, bow and transom, with 1.5mm ply bottom. The bottom has fibreglass reinforcing on the inside. The deck is 3mm lite ply, while the superstructure is 1.5mm ply. The hull has self adhesive foam tape all around to protect vessels being recovered.

The Kort nozzle is from 40mm PVC pipe, and I squared off the tips of a 35mm prop on the lathe to fit inside the nozzle. I made the prop shaft assembly myself, as is my usual practice. The motor is a basic 550 type, with direct drive to the prop.

The transfers (or decals, if you prefer) are printed on to clear decal paper on my PC, and include one with my son’s address and phone number, should the boat go AWOL.

It was quite a simple project after my Armidale class patrol boat, and much easier than my next model, a 1/20 scale scratch built RNLI Severn class lifeboat.

Peter.

Advert
      Peter Fitness
      Participant
        @peterfitness34857
        David Meier
        Participant
          @davidmeier28154
          Peter, that looks reeeeeealy smart. Lucky grand kids.

I take it that the kort nozzle is fixed and is to direct the water more effectively onto the rudder.

Have you had it on the water yet? How manoeuvrable is it?

Cheers.

David.
          Peter Fitness
          Participant
            @peterfitness34857
            David, the Kort is fixed. It has only been in the test tank (bath) so far, so is yet to have its sea trials. I will let you know how it performs after the event.

Peter.
            ashley needham
            Participant
              @ashleyneedham69188
              Peter, Excellent indeed and my sort of model ; simple and nice and clean, sharp paint and I hope an excess of thrust !. I don’t suppose there should be any problems with maneuverability in something that flat, korted and with a big rudder.

I only build things for Berengar that I fancy myself !! Although I must say the last one was a bit taxing on the old brain.

Ashley
              Peter Fitness
              Participant
                @peterfitness34857
                Thanks, Ashley. I’m hoping to give it a run later today, when all will be revealed, at least, as far as its performance goes

Peter.
                Peter Fitness
                Participant
                  @peterfitness34857
                  The tug has had its sea trials, and under quite adverse conditions, too, as it was very windy and the waves were quite high relative to the size of the model. It came through with flying colours, even though it was taking it green over the deck, metaphorically speaking. It proved to be very manoeuvrable, as Ashley predicted so, all in all, I’m very happy with it. I didn’t get any photos, but will take some at our next sailing day.

Peter.
                  ashley needham
                  Participant
                    @ashleyneedham69188
                    Peter. Absolutely super and I am glad to hear it was performing in the rough. I like a boat that can take it green without sinking. Makes it so much more fun, and also maximises the conditions in which you can go out boating.

I have some repair work to do this week end as in putting some sheets of board away I swiped my sub and it fell to the floor and has broken off the conning tower !! Thankfully nothing else was too damaged, and as its painted matt black all over its an easy paint job to fix.

Ashley aka Mr clumsy

Edited By ashley needham on 04/02/2011 19:43:04

Peter Fitness
                    Participant
                      @peterfitness34857
                      I know the feeling, Ashley, I’ve done similar things I usually blame old age

The tug is unlikely to sink, as there is quite a high coaming around the deck opening, and the superstructure is a very neat, and firm, fit.

Peter.
                      David Meier
                      Participant
                        @davidmeier28154
                        Hi Peter.

There is nothing like a bit of rough for sorting a boat out on it’s maiden voyage.

It is great that it came through with flying colours without any glitches.

What more could ask for? It looks great and works well too.

Cheers.

David.
                        Peter Fitness
                        Participant
                          @peterfitness34857
                          The new tug had its first club outing yesterday, in almost perfect conditions. It performed beautifully, and even had to carry out 3 rescues, including one of a 20kg, 2 metre long model of HMS Hood. The little tug pushed the much bigger ship about 30 metres sideways in to the shore after the battleship lost power, and did it quite easily.

It is very manoeuvrable, and I’m more than happy with my home made Kort nozzle set up. The fact that the rudder is fairly big, and set directly behind the Kort, means that the full effect of the prop wash bears on the rudder, making the boat very responsive.

It’s now off to Sydney at the end of this week.

Peter.

ashley needham
                          Participant
                            @ashleyneedham69188
                            Peter. Thats very pretty indeed. Great photo. What size is it please…just out of interest..

Ashley
                            Peter Fitness
                            Participant
                              @peterfitness34857
                              Ashley, it’s 63cm long with a beam of 30cm, and a maximum hull depth of 8cm.

BTW, I’m very impressed with your Triumph Herald yacht as featured in the current edition of Model Boats, it looks like a lot of fun.

In case anyone was wondering about the significance of the name on the side of the tug, HDR Towing, those are the initials of the 3 new owners, Harry, Dylan and Riley. I printed it on to clear decal paper, also the other decals on the boat.

Peter.

Edited By Peter Fitness on 14/02/2011 22:06:57

Peter Fitness
                              Participant
                                @peterfitness34857
                                The final chapter in the pusher tug story has been written. It has now been delivered to its new owners, and was very well received. It has its first Sydney outing in the next door neighbour’s pool, and the boys found it extremely manoeuvrable and very easy to control.

A happy ending

Peter.
                                Peter Fitness
                                Participant
                                  @peterfitness34857
                                  Some photos of the Sydney outings. Firstly, a shot of the tug in the next door neighbour’s pool, pushing a pool noodle, then two of it in the Lane Cove River. For those who may know Sydney, the bridge is Fullers Bridge in the Lane Cove National Park, and the pylons are a ready made steering course for the boys to practice their navigation.

Peter.
                                  Peter Fitness
                                  Participant
                                    @peterfitness34857
                                    Some photos of the Sydney outings. Firstly, a shot of the tug in the next door neighbour’s pool, pushing a pool noodle, then two of it in the Lane Cove River. For those who may know Sydney, the bridge is Fullers Bridge in the Lane Cove National Park, and the pylons are a ready made steering course for the boys to practice their navigation.

Peter.

ashley needham
                                    Participant
                                      @ashleyneedham69188
                                      It doesn`t matter how big you make them,they sure shrink very quickly on a large water !

Nice photos… but how small going through the pylons ???!!

Ashley
                                      Peter Fitness
                                      Participant
                                        @peterfitness34857
                                        Ashley, it looks smaller in the photos than in real life. The boys had no trouble negotiating the pylons, when they could get the transmitter away from their father, that is I just stood by and admired my handiwork

There’s no doubt that a model does seem to shrink on open water, and even more so when close by the pylons of a road bridge.

Peter.
                                        Giles Martin 1
                                        Participant
                                          @gilesmartin1

Hi Peter,

Concerning your nice boat which I am very fun of it.

Did you put any weight in the hull (ballast) and if yes

who much, thanks

Giles

Peter Fitness
                                          Participant
                                            @peterfitness34857

Hi Giles,

It's been so long since I built the boat I can't remember if I had to add extra weight, and as the model is 700 km away in Sydney, I can't have a look. I used a 6 Volt, 4 Amp/hour sealed lead acid battery, which is quite heavy, and would have added some extra ballast to bring it down to the water line, if it was necessary.

Best wishes,

Peter.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)